Sleep Study

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
SquirmingSusan

Sleep Study

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Went to the doc yesterday, and talked with him about how I can fall asleep often now without sleeping pills, but can't stay asleep. He wants me to do a sleep study to see if periodic leg movements are the problem. So I'm checking in to the "sleep hotel" next Tuesday night to get hooked up to electrodes all over, and then try to sleep... :shock:

Seriously, do people really get any sleep in those sleep studies? If I can't sleep at home, how am I going to sleep there? I guess I can take Lunesta if I need to. Personally, I think it would be fun to see how well I sleep without the sleep meds. Just the Requip.

As long as I don't take any more Ambien. Ambien makes me psychotic and makes my Sudoko puzzles come alive. :roll:

We're going to get to the bottom of this yet. :lol:

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Susan

I've had two sleep studies and, believe it or not, I managed to sleep enough so they could obtain some data. I didn't think I would be able to, either. The room at the sleep clinic I went to was sort of like a motel room--even had a TV which I could watch as long as i wanted to.

My sleep doc didn't want me to take any sleep medication--just my ordinary meds for RLS.

I was interested in your experience with Ambien. I have been taking Ambien, I think less than 10 mg.--it's not Ambien CR. I don't have the bottle in front of me and I can't remember how strong it is. It doesn't do a thing to me (you sure had a wild experience!). In fact, it doesn't even help me sleep that well.

I hope your sleep study goes well, Susan. Be sure to let us know what you find out.

Hugs
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I've also had 2 studies done and they made me take my normal meds.They can still get alot,probably more with even some sleep.

I was suprised but i did sleep both times til 4:30, it was supposed to be til 6 but they just let me go.

good luck and i hope you get some answers!

Brenda
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

don't feel bad, ambien makes me crazy too! hubby says i talk about 90 miles an hour and nothing makes sense. lol

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

tazzer wrote: hubby says i talk about 90 miles an hour and nothing makes sense. lol

dee

Yeah but what about when you're taking Ambien?
hee hee

Susan...I've had two done. The first one they let me take Ambien and I slept, the second one, just my Vicodin. It's really hard for me to fall asleep in a strange place anyway...so it wasn't much fun. You're gonna be wired from head to toe, so you will have to find one good spot and sleep like that. They kept telling me they were coming in in 15 minutes to tuck me in and I kept telling them I wasn't ready yet. Finally at like 11:30 they were there. Pretty early for me, but what I'm trying to say is if you're not ready to go to sleep just keep insisting that you need to stay up. If you let them wire you up...that's it.

I don't think they need you to sleep 7 or 8 hours. Somehow they've got it down pretty good where they can find out what they need to know with only a few good hours.

I'd like to see the videos they film of all the crazy sleepy people. Creepy.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

I'd like to see the videos they film of all the crazy sleepy people. Creepy

are you the star in one of those films ARe??? can i have your autograph?

:twisted: :D

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ctravel12

sleep study

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Susan
I had a sleep study this past summer and they let me take my rls med (which at that time was requip) and it showed that I woke up 7 times but only had mild PLMD. It took me a while to go to sleep as I also do not sleep too well in a strange place.

Good luck on your sleep study and let us know how you did.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

When I had both my sleep studies, I left the clinic before 5 am. I was also wired head to toe with really gummy stuff. It takes a couple of scrubs when you shampoo to get it out of your hair, BTW.

Oh, they woke me up a couple of times during both sleep studies to adjust things, or who knows why?!

About the Ambien, I think the dose I was on was probably lower than what you were on, Brenda. It really didn't help me sleep. Plus, I've been on so many meds for so many years, I'm not sure anything works that well anymore. LOL But, I know Ambien does strange things to a lot of people.

Hey, good luck, again on the test.

Jan :)
No one is alone who had friends.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I have had three sleep studies done and while I would swear I never slept, they showed I did enough to track problem areas. The first time they had a red light taped to my right pointer finger (who knows why?) and every time I moved it I felt like ET. Usually they just let you take your normal meds and the gunky stuff is hard to get out of your hair. I'm not sure how useful sleep studies are, but they usually manage to help at least a little.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Phone home Ruby.

becat

Post by becat »

Ruby, it's that little red button that told them you had no oxygen while sleeping. LOL :shock:

I've done one and I looked at it like this, lets show the doc how I sleep OR NOT, what happens when I lay down and try to sleep, and it was my over all report card for my lack of rest and well being. Not only that it was my proof.
The test showed I moved at a pretty good pace even though I was drugged like a kicking donkey ( no jokes here) :D . It also showed that I woke up most to a pain response. DUH, didn't need a test for that answer, but it proved it to him.

They aren't the 5 star hotels we'd like them to be, but I hope yours proves out the information you need the doc to know.
No studing for this test.
Lynne

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Rubyslipper wrote: The first time they had a red light taped to my right pointer finger (who knows why?) and every time I moved it I felt like ET.

The oxygen sensor? I had surgery once when they totally overdrugged me and I kept stopping breathing. Darn that alarm that goes off! Then I kept trying to answer the oxygen monitor every time the phone would ring. :roll:

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

jan3213 wrote:When I had both my sleep studies, I left the clinic before 5 am. I was also wired head to toe with really gummy stuff. It takes a couple of scrubs when you shampoo to get it out of your hair, BTW.

Oh, they woke me up a couple of times during both sleep studies to adjust things, or who knows why?! ...

Hey, good luck, again on the test.

Jan :)

Thanks! I can't imagine I'll ever get to sleep for them to wake me up, but if I do, and they do (wake me up) I won't be happy. :x

I'm just looking forward to having cable TV for the evening. Who knows, I might be watching all night! My favorite cable show is on at 12:30am. :D

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

tazzer wrote:don't feel bad, ambien makes me crazy too! hubby says i talk about 90 miles an hour and nothing makes sense. lol

dee

And you're the one who rode the stairs in a laundry basket? LOL! That sounds almost more fun than hallucinations. :roll:

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I didn't have any problem with AMbien but i was only on it a month with the Klonopin and Perc's (YIKES!) this was what my primary put me on til i saw Neuro.
Now Wellbutrin made me suicidal, no kidding i was a mess. If you knew me you would know how serious that was, it was very bad for me. I'm not depressed at all and it was like day and night!
I was on that for smoking.
I was also on the Halcion, the dosage they got rid of but it wouldn't let me fall asleep at all.
Wellbutrin was absolutely the worst.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda