RLS and back injury

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
bradyferguson

RLS and back injury

Post by bradyferguson »

bye
Last edited by bradyferguson on Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nephriticus

RE: RLS and back injury

Post by nephriticus »

Brady,

Because I received clinical pain therapy years ago for a spinal injury I have an empirical understanding of the closed feedback loop of pain elevation. In short, people experiencing pain are often their own worst enemies for exacerbating the pain.

My RLS seems to worsen whenever I have allowed stress and/or pain to unnecessarily reach heights that are within my control for reduction. When these occurrences reach the forefront of my consciousness I am able to reduce stress and pain thanks to the lessons learned in pain therapy. There seems to be a commensurate reduction in RLS, though the relationship is not clear to me owing to medicating with Sinemet as well.

My guess is that the injury itself, the herniated disc pressing against the spinal cord, has no bearing on the RLS. Rather, I suspect, you are unconsciously elevating the pain, beyond that which the protruding disc engenders directly, with a collateral elevation of RLS symptoms.

I wish you relief from both.

Neph