CRLS and leg cramps

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
vinton

CRLS and leg cramps

Post by vinton »

During the day it does not bother me but a night my calvesa get tight like in a cast and if I force my leg it goes in a cramp.
Also if I go to sleep I'm usually fine for the night.

I've had MS for 35 years and the GP says its RLS but I need to check these symptoms with you

Thanks.
Had multiple sclerosis for 35 years +

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hmm, cramping like that isn't really an RLS thing that I know of. While we have many different descriptions of the feeling - and some of us don't even have much of a feeling at all - it's the need to move that really is the essence of RLS, and that moving, even if temporary, makes that need and feeling go away.

Seems like I remember a few others talking about tightness, though. It's very late and I shouldn't be trying to remember anything, but maybe Beanie?

Sometimes, just in my opinion, when we have multiple disorders it becomes almost impossible to determine what cause which symptom. Not sure what the answer is or if there even is an answer....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bostondave

Leg cramps...

Post by bostondave »

I too get leg cramps while relaxing and while sleeping. It often occurs when I yawn and stretch, causing me to jump out of my recliner and walk it off. I had to change my diet to make sure I eat at least one banana per day, and drink something with electrolyte every day. My choice is usually Gatorade, but there are other effective electrolyte drinks available. I seldom get leg cramps now on days that I follow these dietary changes (banana's and Gatorade. I hope this suggestion helps. [/b]

vinton

cramps

Post by vinton »

I've been on mirapex for 3 weeks at 0.25 and all is gone..

My feeling during the day was walking like wearing heavy shoes and the paresthesia.
At night it was like a electric shock that made my legs move but not a real pain but more like a discomfort.

Thanks
sure would like youropinion again so when I see my neuro again.
Had multiple sclerosis for 35 years +

bostondave

Further on cramping and requip, etc...

Post by bostondave »

When I first took requip the dose of .5 mg was enough to make my legs give out under me when I tried walking from my bed to the bathroom at night. I tore up my back from landing against the doorknob of the sink cabinet. Now it takes 8 mg to quell the RLS at night. I understand I may have been one of the first to try Requip for RLS several years ago because the Mirapex failed me after two years and I got a bad rebound effect from it. I did report the problem to the neurologist and also found Requip may have caused the leg cramps which I never had a problem with before taking Requip. Proceed carefully with requip, and I would suggest anyone with RLS see a neurologist for the diagnosis because they tend to have more patients with the disorder and have likely spent more time studying it.

Also, I've never had "heavy legs" from the RLS and don't understand how it could be directly associated with RLS because the effect would be the opposite of restless legs. Good luck with your health.