RLS with L-thyroxine treatment study

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
shorne

RLS with L-thyroxine treatment study

Post by shorne »

I found the following article in one of the sleep abstracts I receive via e-mail. Perhaps Jumpy or someone else could decipher what it means. It sounds like taking this form of thyroid increases RLS symptoms. When it was removed, patient had less symptoms. I'm interested because I take synthroid, don't know if that is different from L-thyroxine. I would appreciate your comments, if you would enlighten me.

An urge to move with L-thyroxine: Clinical, biochemical, and polysomnographic correlation.
TAN EK, HO SC, KOH L, PAVANNI R.

Department of Neurology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore

We report on the cause and effect relationship of restless legs syndrome (RLS) with L-thyroxine treatment in a hypothyroid patient with low serum ferritin. Upon challenge and withdrawal of L-thyroxine, there was a significant change in the International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group severity score (26/40 to 6/40), the periodic limb movements (PMLS) index (20/hour to 10/hour), the number of arousals due to PLMS (59 to 22), sleep efficiency (74 to 85%), and biochemical parameters. RLS symptoms can complicate thyroxine replacement in at-risk hypothyroid patients with low serum ferritin. Early diagnosis and iron replacement could significantly reduce patient morbidity.
Copyright 2004 Movement Disorder Society.
Thanks for listening, Sue

jumpyowl

Hello, Sue!

Post by jumpyowl »

Very interesting study! Too bad they do not mention in the abstract whether the low iron deficiency has been corrected or the patients were challenged with thyroxine on an 'as is' basis?

Do you know, Sue, how the publication with author's address can be accessed?

Cyber Hugs,
Jumpy Owl

shorne

Thyroid and RLS

Post by shorne »

Dear Jumpy,

Here is the info you requested.

[8] TAN EK, HO SC, KOH L, PAVANNI R.
An urge to move with L-thyroxine: Clinical, biochemical, and polysomnographic correlation.
Mov Disord 2004 Sep 17;[epub ahead of print].
http://www.websciences.org/cftemplate/N ... D=20043431
Thanks for listening, Sue