Appearances

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Anonymous

Appearances

Post by Anonymous »

Wow, guys. It's amazing the toll that this condition can take on a person's physical appearance. I just feel like I don't look "well." Lack of sleep, etc. is starting to show.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Emily - I totally get what you are talking about. I have had a particularly rough week and when I got up this morning and looked in the mirror, all I could think was, "Ugh! I don't think there is enough make up to hide those dark circles and bags." We're kind of like that Garth Brooks song - "Much too young to feel this **** old!" If you find something that works to hide the effects of this disorder on your appearance, let me know, as I, too, am beginning to not be able to hide my exhaustion as well as I used to. And, it is depressing.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, totally. I, too, always looked young - like ten years younger in my early forties. Now? Some days I look like I'm in my 50's - nothing wrong with 50's, I'm just not there yet!

Wrinkles, sagging, lack of color - got 'em all.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Well, I can jump right in here on this one. I always looked younger than I am---even 10 years younger, or so some people would say. Now, OMG, my hair is getting thin! I'm looking older, my skin is really, really, dry. I don't think it's my thyroid, I think it's the meds I've taken for so long.

And, the years of going without sleep really start taking a toll on us. It is depressing. Of course, I AM older than you guys, but I don't like it either!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Some days I look like total sh**. And some days even if I don't feel that way, I still look sick or run down.. Kind of sucks, to someone who has enough confidence problems when it comes to girls, hahaha.. Oh well. I guess it's not so bad to actually look 40 when you feel it, right ? I dunno..lol

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It hit me the same way. Just one day I was like, "What the $%#$@$???" Bizarre.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Too bad my awesome blue dye job does not show up well in photos

Ok so maybe I'm not too much worse for the wear... That's 16 hours awake, roughly

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Zach, maybe pictures don't do your aging justice just like your cool blue die job, because you look just fine to me. OK, maybe it's a little weary, but it looks more like a 'tude of some sort :P I dare not post one of me or everyone's monitors would break :shock:

Managing Your RLS

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

hahaha I was thinking the same about posting MY picture, Ann. Zach, you look fine to me--a little tired, but fine. I'm glad to see what you look like.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You know, this is an epiphany. I've always known it, but it just hit me strongly - people really can't see how we feel. Even if we see all of our pain, weariness, and struggle in our complexion, wrinkles and hair, most other people won't see any of that. If we're lucky, they see us at all. As has been said many other times, this is assuredly why people don't take us too seriously.

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well thanks to the state of Maryland and many a "social worker", I am quite convincing in person when it comes to emotional suffering. :o

But it's true to a certain extent.. I feel 40 more often than not. Back aches, muscle aches, a billion medical and dental problems, and a less than ideal childhood has honestly aged me mentally, far beyond my years.

That's my "happy" face by the way.. I just look evil if I even try to smile, or if I'm lucky it'll look like a retarded smirk.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i wonder if its rls that made my hair gray or my kids? i'm guessing 50/50 lol

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ctravel12

my appearance has gone to ---

Post by ctravel12 »

Well let me tell you that make-up really makes a difference (sometimes) I do not know how Zach was able to put his photo up. I do not think I want to know. I feel let them draw there own conclusion???? I wonder if that is good or bad :roll: However, I do agree with Jan it is nice to put a face with the person that we are talking to.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time