Appearances

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
cornelia

Post by cornelia »

May I chime in from across the ocean about how bad I can look most of the days? It'what Jan says: the meds take their toll on your skin, I don't look 'fresh' anymore. I just don't look in the mirror on those bad days, just can't bear it. However, when I apparently have slept reasonably, I can look much younger than I am. At the hairdresser it is particularly bad, because there are mirrors all over.

Corrie

Neco

Post by Neco »

I was able to put a photo up because I own the web space where it is uploaded 8)

I'm willing to extend the courtesy to anyone else who would like it done. Just send me a PM, and I will respond back with an email address you can send your photo to. I'm guessing everyone knows how to attach photos to mail :oops:

I'll also do any resizing work, etc that may appear to be needed

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

well zach you beat me to the punch i was gonna explain the picture thing.
lol but nevvvvvver mind now! lmao

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

and yet another great thread... I'm aging faster since my RLS took off too. I have grey hair in my beard now.... :roll:
Josh

Walking After Midnight

Re: my appearance has gone to ---

Post by Walking After Midnight »

ctravel wrote:... it is nice to put a face with the person that we are talking to.

Or not.
hee hee.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

HA! Now that Zach was brave enough to put his picture up, I've seen several of you who posted. You all might have your off days but otherwise you look mahvelous, dahling! Honestly, interrupted sleep plays havoc with every aspect of our lives. When people say, you look tired (meaning "what the he#& happened to you!") and I reply that my legs kept me up all night I usually just get a story about how they didn't sleep much last night either. Well, try that for every night of your life and see how the wrinkle fairy treats you. You did know about the wrinkle fairy and her sisters, right? They travel all over and catch you unaware. There's the wrinkle fairy, the gray hair fairy, the everything going south fairy, the hair in the ears fairy and the ten years older fairy. They were born on the wrong side of the tracks in OZ to the Wicked Witch of the Northwest (no one knows who the father was, but some suspect one of the flying monkeys). Anyway, they grew up so ugly in looks and spirit that they decided to travel the world making innocent people miserable. It's harder for them to catch us sleeping, so they do double-duty. That's why one morning you wake up and POW, they caught you and gave you a double-dose. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

I Love You!!!!!!!!! I say we find those bad rascals and pay them off! :D
I on my 30th B-day, almost 13 yrs ago, I heard the thud. I've been walking in really large circles to counteract that tragedy. The older I get, the bigger the circles. I'm up to a 3.5 mile circle. LOL
Hair? Which color? I don't know what number it was....you know in that copper box<<???? :roll: :D LOL
Dark circles, understood and fought with every tool out there. I see make up as a weapon. Used right not a soul knows. And at night I do all those stupid things as apart of my bedtime routine, but it feels good to something healthy for my body and soul. :wink: I even get eye creams from Santa in my stocking, lol, you know is that love or a hint? :shock:
I'm thinking Zach your brave. And Yes it is nice to see a face for a person we feel we already know.
However, Zach tonight I have no clue how old you really are. I would like you to explain the 40 comment......I understood feeling like your in your early 100's, but 40? Come on...I'm only 42. :D

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

THE HAIR IN THE EARS FAIRY??? You are so hilarious. Thank goodness that on hasn't visited me yet. But then again, I can't see in my ears...

I sell cosmetics as a stay-at-home-mom job. I have quite an arsenal. Some days I get out of bed, look in the mirror, and the mirror threatens me that it will shatter if I don't put on some makeup. (Oh, maybe that talking mirror thing was an Ambien CR side effect...) Nothing beats a good concealer and a good foundation. A little blush to make me look less dead, and then, and this is the key - Some really bright and outrageous lipstick and no one notices the wrinkles, the dark circles, the gray hair, and I suppose even the hair in the ears.

(Has anyone seen "Why I Wore Lipstick to my Mastectomy"? Good movie.) Lipstick is the ultimate weapon. 8)

Susan, who needed a good laught. Thanks Ruby!

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i saw that movie susan and it was great. i read one time it doesn't matter if your hair isn't fixed, or what you were wearing, if you didn't have lipstick on you might as well be nekkid!! :D

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well I kind of discussed it with Ann in private (or was it I snapped, I'm not really sure? heh...)

To start with, I just turned 24 in October, but I often feel like I was born a decade or two too late, due to general interests in music and other cultural aspects.

But basically, my way of dealing with my life is through a warped sense of humor, and I'm very sarcastic and cynical about a lot of things. The age thing has pretty much been a long running inside joke that only my closest friends tend to "get". I went through a lot of emotional trauma as an adolescent, and have had an otherwise "not-normal" childhood as a result. As a teenager on the 'net (when I was actually "at home") I tended to come across as much older than I actually was, simply because that was the time in the mid to late ninties where kids were not so much equated with technology as adults were. In terms of computers; I was very intelligent, thus came across as a "mature" person in many respects; from the way I analyzed people and situations, down to the spelling and grammar, and frankly, impressively large vocabulary I had. However I still possess many childlike qualities, in terms of emotional development and I suppose I possess a certain naivety about the world, while at the same time holding a lot of things up to extreme skepticism, etc..

So I went through some stuff, ended up retreating into my own little world (while no one really did anything to stop me because it always ended badly), have been "out of shape" (but not fat, hehe) for the past decade or so, and to be honest - I was just starting to pick up the pieces of my life when I got hit with IBS & RLS.. I do not have happy conversations with "god" about his "sense of humor" and so on and so forth..

In terms of my life now, it's probably a dead heat between which condition has left me suffering worse. On the one hand I have the means to control my RLS 90% of the time now, but on the other hand the IBS left me devasted for at least a year, moreso than the RLS. I've been forced through a lot of lifestyle changes, diet changes, trying to explain to people I simply can't eat stuff anymore (a lot of my favorite foods) while strangely I can still eat other things.

Some days I just don't want to wake up. I feel old physically because I have low stamina, "ache" easy, especially in the back area, etc.. I have all these "old person" problems, so I just feel old I guess? The list of things I've been diagnosed with is probably almost as long as the list of medication classes I've tried, hah...

Hope that's enough info for you, haha.

becat

Post by becat »

Zach,
I guess I'll let you slide on that one then....lol
I was always older myself, just fit better with older people than my own age.
And I'll take a sense of humor everytime over anything else my dear. We have so much to cope with in Life anyway, you have to laugh.
Feeling older, well I think my 30's were the worse for that honestly. I lucked out in my 20's and got a break from the mean RLS, so.... :?
I was busy running and not sleeping the whole 30 era, lol, so in my 40's it's getting back to better.
I can take the time to walk for myself and my health. I hear ya about the back though.....love my chirapractor for that very reason....ok, he's sorta cute too!
Well, I'd hug you anytime you need it Zach.......If you need someone to chat with you got me too! No age jokes though.....Ah kidding.
The moon my dear,
Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Zach

It's funny that both you and Lynne said you fit in better with older people when you were younger (well, you ARE young, Zach LOL). I always felt like I was born a decade or too too late. I always loved music and movies from an earlier time better than my own time. And, age has never mattered to me when it comes to friends. So, I've had a lot of older friends. And, now, I have a lot of younger friends.

I'm a lot older than you are, Zach. Now, even though I am older in body, my mind doesn't feel that much older in so many ways. I look at myself in the mirror and can't believe what I'm seeing. Just a year ago I looked younger--or, at least I think I did. LOL

I don't know---you talk about the back problem. Well, that has been the undoing of me, I'm afraid. My back. I think of the things I could just six months ago that I can't do now. I know I'm getting along good. I'm doing good, I really am. But, I can't even dust! I know, at lot of you will say "So What! Good for you!" But, believe me, it's not good for me. I used to clean my house, swim, exercise, do things I took for granted. Now, I can't. At least, I can't right now. And, I'm not so sure I'll ever be able to do things the way I used to.

Ahh, well, I know I'm not paralyzed. That's a good thing. But, there's a trade off. I'm not the person I thought I would be. I'm feeling sorry for myself, so just take this any way you want to. And, now, RLS is coming back when I thought maybe it was going to be better. And, when I say coming back, I mean coming back!

I don't know why I'm writing this except I just wanted other people to know that they're not alone--- that it's okay to say what's on your mind here. I've almost written this several times, but decided I would hit the "submit" button tonight.

Zach, you said that some days you don't want to wake up. That makes me sad for you because I know how that feels. Probably a lot of us do. Then, I see the sun shine (maybe LOL) and I think there's another day with nothing written on it-- And, I start all over again. I hope you do too, Zach. You sound like a really neat guy (you can tell how old I am--I used the word "neat"!).

Hang in there, Zach.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I use the term neat myself.. I find it rather refreshing how some words never get old.. And I also find it funny how the older I get, the more people my parents are or slightly younger use words like "awesome" haha.

I've definitely been through major bouts of depression, but I've been known to exaggerate things too.. Like, when I talk about not waking up, it's more of a logical assessment to me than an emotional need to "off myself", etc.. I'm not suicidal in the least, I just feel like I contribute to the world in no real way, I wouldn't be missed; if that makes sense. I'm very logical and mechanical in a lot of my thinking. I tend to see things in absolutes instead of possibilities.. On or off, right or wrong, the desired end versus the experience vs the alternative possible ending (i.e "is it worth doing if my desired outcome is not statistically favorable?" ).

But yeah.. I have always gravitated towards older folks. The 'net helped break down that barrier a lot. I strangely found myself friends with lot's of middle aged bored houswives....haha. I've had some cool mentors though. In life I tend to want to hang out with younger people almost as a subcioncious gravitation. I sense their youth or something like that and more often than not I later find out I'm friend with people anywhere from years to 10 years my junior. Which also has it's perks because you're the one everyone looks up to for "life advice" :lol: Though I'm arguably not the best source there, lol.. I find I'm more respected and appreciated by my friends for my knowledge and practical intelligence than anything. My best friend is actually 2 years younger than I am.... And everyone keeps forgetting how much older I am (even the older folks my age or a few years more) and they act so surprised when they ask my age.

I was really into free-form role-playing from around 14 or so, and I really just watched others and learned from them. This is where most of the confusion on my age comes from, I was just that good at playing a complex character. No one could figure me out. In fact a lot of the people I played with were anywhere from 5 years to decades older than I am. I still talk to a lot of them.