SEVERE LEG PUNCHING

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
bostondave

I'm a leg puncher too...

Post by bostondave »

I empathize with your problem, mine is similar. I'm 54 and have suffered with RLS for as long as I can remember. It interfered with my life at least since I was in my early twenties, creating problems sitting and watching television or doing anything in which I had to sit still for long periods. I have been punching and hitting my legs with a "karate chop" for as long as I can remember, often causing enough pain to stop the RLS from acting up. My RLS is worse than anyone I've met so far, and it's almost comforting to know I'm not the only one that suffers as bad as I do from it (while not enjoying the fact that another has to suffer with bad RLS)

I do take 8-10 mg of requip to control it at night, and sometimes I take 1 mg doses in the afternoon to allow me to sit without serious problems. Unfortunately, it's not safe to drive after taking requip at all, and it limits my social visits that are too far to walk to.

While I suffer from RLS every day and cannot rest from about 10 AM onward, I am curious if I'm the only one that only gets it one leg at a time. I get RLS symptoms in both legs, but is always either my right or left, never both at the same time.

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

It is a real pain to have RLS! pardon the pun... I wanted to let you know that man do I know what you go through on a regular basis. I am a master with the ol' karate chop myself. I have gone so far as to create a cramp in my legs to override the RLS. I am sure you have done drastic things as well.

Klonazipam worked wonders for me a while ago but it got to the point where I began taking 2 pills , then 2 and 1/2. Because it was a muscle relaxer I did not want to go down the path to long.

However... there are plenty of nights when I think I might as well be dependent on muscle relaxers... the RLS is ruining my life more then they probably ever would... Anyway, I feel for you.. talk soon.

Darrin
"The one beautiful thing about pain is it's capability to bring others that know it closer."

ctravel12

severe leg punching

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Bostondave and welcome. With taking requip it souns like you are augmenting (getting rls anytime of the day or night) I used to take requip and augmented on it also. My neurologist finally weaned me off of it and am now taking 1mg of clonazapem and it seems to be working for the time being. It really concerns me of how many mg you are taking with the requip. When I took requip, I only took 2 mg. Please be careful.

I know what works for one may not always work for another.

When my rls was at its worse, I would have it first in the left leg and then the right leg. Never at the same time.

Read alot of the old and new posts as there is a fountain of knowledge out there. Since you are also new to the board read the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" as there is an excellent article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. If you are seeing a dr it would be worth it to print it out and show it to either him/her.

It is important to try and educate yourself as much as you can before you see the dr. I know they have the degree, but they do not have your body and only you know how your body is reacting.

Your quality of life is so important.

I am not in the medical field, I just learned by just reading the old and new posts.

Please keep posting us and letting us know how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

colin ross

LEG PUNCHER

Post by colin ross »

[My doctor prescribed a mixture of Mirapex two hours before bedtime and clonazapan at bed time. This works although you have to avoid alcahol and caffeine. I developed a horrible case of dry mouth which got progressively worse so quit drinking and caffeine and quit the mirapex. i am worried about the long term effects of clonazepam so am considering accupuncture which has worked for me with other problems. Any feedback on accupuncture. The cost is a concern.

becat

Post by becat »

Welcome to all the Newcomers......Legpuncher, Bostondave (we won't talk baseball LOL)........
Ok, Well I have been known to cause my own pain to induce the "counter pain" benefit. It's no fun, but somedays you feel no choice. Although, it is quite entertaining to watch others, i.e. on the plane, for the reaction. :roll: I have found that my Ipod and a bathroom door is all I need. LOL Get behind that door rock out to some oldfashion Whitesnake or van Halen and dance until my legs wear out......lol
Colin: Yes, I use acupuncture, but I feel like it does well for pain. The basic of RLS symptoms, hmmmmm, maybe I haven't gone far enough with it yet. But I do like it. It's not cheap and you need to find someone that really understand and is trained in Eastern medicine. Newbies are not the ones you really want and they will want to see you more than once because you don't show the same symptoms (as far as pulse and energy flow) from day to day. So they do need to get to know you and your body to a certain degree.
If your ify about seeing someone and want a USA certified MD that practices this is the listing for the doctors I have. Yes, real MDs that have decided to use both theories in their practice.
American Board of Medical Acupuncture (ABMA)
http://www.dabma.org/index.asp
We do what we can and it seems it's just a bit different for all of us.
Glad to have you all here, only sorry for the need to be.

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

becat....

Thanks for the welcome and actually thanks all for your posts. The last couple of days (since posting) has made me feel a renewed energy towards solving the symptoms. By the way, I have actually done the bathroom dance on a plane. LOL. I have gotten anxiety on the highway because the next rest stop was 50 miles away. I would start flipping my foot underneath the gas pedal (not smart) and stretch by holding my hands on the steering wheel and pushing back. I have multiple bruises from the punching but so far it has been the most effective remedy. Not the brightest, but definately effective :(

I am going to check out the new to RLS section... thank you!

Legpuncher
"The one beautiful thing about pain is it's capability to bring others that know it closer."

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

The worst of the creepy crawly sensations have always been in my left arm, and I've beat up that arm many, many times. Whatever works, but I'm looking for better options. :roll:

Susan

ctravel12

severe leg punching

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Legpuncher and Colin. I am so sorry that I did not welcome the both of you to this board. That was an oversite on my part.

I am glad that becat gave you some good info and by reading the post that she posted.

Reading alot of the old and new posts are very informative too.

Also being new to the board it is good to read the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" there is a good article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. If either of you are seeing a dr it would be worthwhile to print it out and bring it to him/her. It is so important to educate yourself as much as possible before seeing the dr.

It is your body and you certainly need the quality of life back that you so much deserve.

I hope that you are both able to find relief for your rls.

Please keep us posted on how the both of you are doing.

Colin, my neurologist wanted me to try mirapex along with clonazapem. I have been taking clonazapem but declined on mirapex as with the side effects one being augmenting which I had done when I used requip.

I do notice that since I have been taken clonazapem I get very thirsty late at night and am sure it is the cause of the clonazapem; however it is working and am afraid to stop taking it unless he can suggest else. I will ber seeing my neurolgoist the 23rd of this month and will discuss this with him.

Hang in Legpuncher and Colin as you have found a wonderful, caring and supportive group. We are one huge family and will always be there for you. If you just want to talk, vent, scream or whatever go ahead as we will be here to listen to you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time