SEVERE LEG PUNCHING

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
legpuncher

SEVERE LEG PUNCHING

Post by legpuncher »

I know I probably should offer a positive outlook but one does not exist for me. I have had RLS almost my entire life ( I am 34) and the ONLY time it didn't effect me was about 15 years ago during a stint with marijuana. I quite before I got married in 1998 as my soon to be wife had 2 young boys. I however, even to this day, can remember the feeling of crawling in bed knowing I was going to be able to sleep.

For God's sake I can't even sit and watch a full episode of Criminal Intent without having to get up off the couch and squat, crack my knees and then walk around. This will happen every 20 minutes if I am sitting. There is nothing like upsetting the entire family every 15-20 by asking to pause the show so I can walk around a bit. There is nothing like having to sleep on the couch the night your significant other has to work. There is nothing like being trapped in a car and have that anxiety of needing to GET OUT NOW!

To cut to the chase... currently I have found no other method than to punch my legs to make them go numb. This has been very effective minus the bruises but I have no other alternative. To be honest with you I have tried every type of medication out there.

I want to let all the sufferer's know that I UNDERSTAND what you are going through.. Sleepness nights ( I am up until 2-3 am every night), can't even nap to catch up, lonely nights on the couch as you wife or husband sleeps soundly in bed, anxiety on plane rides, car rides, bus rides with all of the above leading to frustration to the point of extreme measures ( I have actually contemplated cutting my legs off).

I however have come to the realization that I need to cope with the suffering and do the best I can.

God Speed to an answer and possible cure!

:x
"The one beautiful thing about pain is it's capability to bring others that know it closer."

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Thank you for sharing, Legpuncher. We have others who have punched their legs, as well. You have described excatly what many of us go through. It sounds like you have a very severe case of RLS and I'm so very sorry.

The great thing about this forum is that we don't have to have positive posts---we tell it like it is, here. And, we all understand. Thank you so much for posting... I hope you're not a stranger--that you let us know how you are getting along. A more compassionate, caring group of people you're likely not to find anywhere else.

Wishing you peaceful rest.......

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. I am never the type of person that says "Boy do I have it worse than anyone else". I am sure there must be a case or two of suicide from RLS due to lack of sleep, lack of caring from others, etc.

I appreciate you understanding!
"The one beautiful thing about pain is it's capability to bring others that know it closer."

Neco

Post by Neco »

Have you been able to try opiates, or maybe even methadone? I would highly recommend you speak with your doctor about them if you haven't been down that road yet.

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

I have never had either of these medications... can you try and give a description of these if you have a chance. Thanks for your response!

brandy

Post by brandy »

Welcome, legpuncher. I am so sorry that you are suffering so. There are many treatment options available for those with severe RLS. Head over to the "New to RLS" section and check out the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. It goes into great detail regarding all of the different medical options and at what point they should be used for what kind of RLS. Many of us find that a cocktail of two or more drugs is necessary. It sounds like you still have some options available to you. Don't give up! Check things out and make an appointment with your doctor and ask to begin with one of the treatments that seems appropriate that you have not yet tried. Please let us know how things go. Good luck!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

thank you brandy!

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well opiates are pretty much things like Codeine (Tylenol #3/#4) Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, morphine, etc. In general if you even find a doctor willing to go down that road it's best to start with the lowest tolerable medication. As far as methadone (dolophine) goes, I'm not sure if it's technically considered an opiate, but its chemical structure does differ from the usual bits and pieces. It's mainly used in drug addiction treatment for stuff like heroin, etc.. So there is a bit of a social stigma attached to it.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

LP welcome,

i would be doing the same thing you do if i didn't take a pain med. you really should look into that and discuss it with your doctor.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

Well guys... I did discuss these types of pain medication with my doctor today and he said NO WAY! I am currently taking Lexapro, Ativan, and soon Chantrix to help me quite the horrible habit of smoking... He said that the next thing to do is possible add Requip.

He is only looking out for my well being.... I guess.

Darrin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Darrin, I can't remember . . .have you mentioned the Lexapro before? If not, it can definitley make RLS worse. Unfortunately, almost all of the antidepressants (ADs) can. Wellbutrin is one that doesn't bother most people. The Atican might actually help the RLS, but not necessarily, but certainly shouldn't make it worse.

Also, has he checked your ferritin level? If you're not familiar with that, click on the link in my signature. It could be that they could test that and it's low - taking iron can improve it and for some people, that really improves the RLS without even needing drugs.

Just some thoughts.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

I was not aware that Lexapro potentially makes RLS worse. Also, I have never had ferritin levels checked.

I guess the more I talk to you guys the more I realize that I don't know much about my condition at all!!! Shame on me.

I will have my doc check these when I go back in.

Darrin

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Darrin

I just wanted you to know that, although I've been around here pretty darn long, I still learn something new about RLS all the time. That's what makes this forum so great! That, and the fantastic support.

You keep hanging in there and please keep us informed.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Darrin, another possibilty. Another doc. Truly, this is not fun, but finding a new doctor is sometimes necessary. If your doctor will not even discuss opiates, or other measures to control pain, he/she may not be the best doctor for you. I'm not saying they are required, but since opiates are part of the Mayo CLinic's algorithm for treating RLS, in my mind, all doctors should accept them as part of treatment when they are appropriate.

You mentioned learning more about it - as Jan said, there is a lot to learn! And, many of our doctors never learned any of this in med school. We can help ourselves tremendously by learning as much as we can. If you want to learn some more, follow the link in my signature . . .lots to read and think about. Links to follow to learn more. Some of it that can be printed and taken to your doctor.

Happy learning 8)
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legpuncher

Post by legpuncher »

Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness. I will review what you have offered me. Maybe it is time to find a new doc!

Darrin