I feel hopeless

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
frustratedinga

I feel hopeless

Post by frustratedinga »

Okay, third doctor and same prescribed method. This new doctor I went to was actually from this site. He pushed aside the Mayo Algorithm and told me he already knew everything. He didn't listen to me, my grown daughter, nor my husband.

He basically said he knew of no such organization such as ours and doesn't support it or any literature found here. He was so pompous and arrogant and talked to me like I was a fruitcake!

So, I am once again going to retry Requip, which I know doesn't work for me until I find a doctor that will listen.

Please, keep me in your thoughts as I feel totally helpless and am becoming quite depressed. I literally do not know where to turn except to those of you that truly understand. At least my daughter had the gumption to tell him that she thought her mother was more of the expert since I had to live with it.

Hopefully, out there, is a doctor in my area that will listen to everything that needs to be heard. This guy wouldn't even let me tell him about my headaches, chronic pain, and all else.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Linda

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Linda

Sadly, your experience isn't so different from many of us here. It's such a shame and so stupid! It's been my experience, around my area, that most doctors don't want to read anything I bring to them. A lot of other people on this forum have had different experiences, so there must be some doctors who actually think we DO have a brain and are not trying to practice medicine--we're simply trying to help them help us.

I know the helpless and hopeless feeling, too---many of us do. I'm glad you've found this place, Linda. Sorry you have to have a place like this to come to (because you have RLS), but glad that you've found it to be a haven.

The support, helpfulness and friendship found here is unlike anywhere else, IMHO. I hope you continue to post. As Lynne (Becat) says, we learn best from each other. And, that's the truth!

Please keep us informed while you search for a doctor. This is the place to vent, Linda. You're among friends---soon to be family, to you, I hope.

Take care!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh, that's awful, Linda. Doctors can be such jerks. But there are always other doctors. Shoot, I figure if I have to fly to Southern California to visit Dr. B to get the treatment I need, then that's what I'll do.

When doctors forget that it's there job to take care of us, and not the other way around, it's time to say "You're fired."

Hang in there and keep on pressing forward. That's easier said than done, I know.

Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

I hope your situation improves.

I think the more of these messages I keep reading, the more inclined I am going to begin writing some huge research /op-ed on the whole subject of how we as patients are treated, and just try and pitch it to any publication interested in it.

becat

Post by becat »

Me too Zach, it's beyond the human thought that we go to someone looking for help and they THINK that they should be able to treat people like the file they hold in their hands.
Firing is the best thing to do, along with a letter to that docs (if there is one) boss.
Linda Welcome to the Board.
Honey your not alone anymore. Hopeless is something we all deal with off and on again around here.
I honestly think it is not depression, and yes I know hopelessness is a sign of clinical depression, but this is one of the first things I learned here.....I was not depressed at all, have a great life for the most part, you know. I was hopeless is could change in the pain and sleep areas. Hopeless, not depressed. It will help that you now have a place to come and vent when you need to.
You never know what you say might get others thinking and we are great at sharing here. LOL Ty Jan, we do learn best from one another. :) It is so true. We live with this stuff day in and out.
I'm giving you something that the board keeps going....the moon.
If you feel alone and like no one undrestands, go and find the moon....if it's shining on you, then you know there are many more of us looking at the moon at the same time, right with you. You'll never be alone again.
Your among friends here and to your surprise, it's easy to feel as though they are family. Awesome people here.
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Linda, boy, what a nightmare you are in.

When this gets better and you have the time, would you please write to the FOundation and give them this information. I don't know that they can - or even would - take this name off of the list, but it seems to me that they ought to know about it. I sure wouldn't want to go to this man.

Also, would you tell us where you are? No specifics, but general. Maybe someone can help find a doctor. Also, the Yahoo RLS board has a large group of people. They often help each other find doctors. We just don't have a valid resource for this (getting good doctors) and we need one.

I hope the Requip - at the least - doesn't make you more ill. That would be horrible to have to take something you know will make you sick.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

frustratedinga

Thanks

Post by frustratedinga »

I would like to thank you all for your support. My family tries, but they really do not understand. I am in the metro Atlanta area, so there should be plenty of people out there, but I haven't found that someone, yet. What really irks me this morning, after very little sleep, is that he didn't even write the script for Requip for me. He just told me that was what I should be taking.

Well...duh...I cannot even take that if the fool doesn't give it to me!

I knew I could find support here. Joining the foundation is the best thing I could have done to ehlp myself. My daughter is working on finding me a doctor, not necessarily a neuro, that will look at my notes, talk with me, and work together to try and come up with a treatment plan.

This man told me he was an expert and didn't need to read anything. I really wish I would have told him that I was the expert because I've lived with this for 40 years :)

kpru13

Post by kpru13 »

Hi,

I have restless leg RLS, it runs in my family. It seems to get worse as I get older. I started taking a Magnessiam/Potassium capsule supplement from GNC and I also read Bio-CMP works you can order it online. Take and hour or two before bed. It has really worked for me and it's much safer than prescription drugs. It's a deficiancy of minerals that causes this syndrome. I haven't had any sleepless nights or creepy crawlys since. Give it a try what can you lose.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm glad the minerals worked for you; I hope they always do. RLS is not a problem with minerals, however, and they do not work for all of us. It sure would be nice if they did, though.

If you peruse the "non-pharm" section of the board, you'll find many people have tried similar therapies, and it does indeed work for some. I highly recommend trying vitamins and minerals (check out the non-pharm area for ideas of what's worked for many); if that doesn't work, however, I also highly recommend finding other solutions that might, whatever that might entail.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.