Tourette's

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
nancyhugh

Tourette's

Post by nancyhugh »

Does anyone on here with rls also have tourette's syndrome? I believe it's very rare, as they are chemically opposite. If anyone does what would you reccomend as the best medication for the rls. I'm told a lot of the meds can make the tourette's worse.
"Without haste, but without rest."-Goethe

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Interesting! And I thought Tourette's was similar in that it also involved dopamine? I did this research a long time ago (my nephew has Tourette's), and may be misremembering it or got it wrong in the first place and it's just that they are both movement disorders.

Have you looked online anywhere? I did a quick search and found that levadopa should be avoided, but not any mention of the dopamine agonists, and to avoid opiids. Of course, this was just one brief article. Many of the things to avoid were the same as for RLS - antidepressants, antipsychotics, antihistamines, etc. It also mentioned that clonazepam might work for Tourette's and this sometimes helps RLS, too.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.