Itching

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Anonymous

Itching

Post by Anonymous »

Common with RLS?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Are you sure the itching isn't being caused by a medication you are taking?
I've never heard of anyone describe itching as a symptom, but then that doesn't mean it doesn't exist I suppose.

Do you have skin rashes at all with the itching? It may be the methadone if you are still taking it. I did notice you said you started Mirapex, so it may also be from that as well.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenny Wren

Post by Jenny Wren »

Yes, Emily, I know exactly what you are feeling. Its been 6 years now, very frustrating. I have not been diagnosed with anything right now, still seeing a neuro. Had tons of bloodwork. Just went today for hormone level testing, but I'm only 35, soon to be 36, but doc thought that it would not hurt to check. I have been on Metanx almost a month now, it worked great until about 5 days ago, when the monthly thing happened, and BAM, its just as bad now and it was before. I was having burning under my armpit the other night, it was painful, when I looked in the mirror there were red marks where it was hurting, I thought, great, now I got shingles. I put some cortisone cream on it and it went away, then the next day, it started everywhere. What a bummer. I am going to ask my neuro what she thinks about RLS. Anyhow, I know how you feel, you can't concentrate on nothing, today, was a crying day for me. I haven't done that in a long time, well past due.

Hope you feel better!!! :)
Jen

chicory

Post by chicory »

One thing to consider is that many people have itching when taking narcotics. I don't mean an allergic reaction, rash itch but just plain itching is a side-effect for some people. Just a thought....

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Many of us have the itching - I don't think we are a majority, but there is are enough of us that in my book, itching IS an RLS symptom.

Since I was a kid, I used lotion to help the RLS. Of course, that was when it was controllable! I haven't gone to bed without a full lotion treatment, neck to toes, for 25 years. Even feeling a little itchy starts the RLS for me.

Lynne has talked about bloodying herself with the scratching. And for all of us, this was LONG BEFORE we took meds for it.

I find that the methadone does make me itchy, but it's different. The few times it's gotten bad, I've taken a Zyrtec and it was fine. Zyrtec doesn't touch the RLS itch.

Oh, as far as the multiple, yes, many of us get them. I get at least five to eight different things from itching to spasms to electricity etc. BUT - I can say that is only when the RLS is out of control. With the meds, some I don't have anymore and the rest are mild. If only we had some idea of what might control yours.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey EM

I get itching---the kind you can't scratch--, twitching, electric shocks, jerks and worms. Then the pain starts. I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble. You don't know how much I wish you would be able to find relief. :(

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctravel12

Lord help me THE ITCHING

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jen and welcome. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have never had that problem and my heart aches for what you are going through.
If I could wave a magic wand and make it go away, I would do it in a heart beat.

You have certainly found an excellent support group. Anytime if you just want to talk, vent or scream we are here for you.

Please Jen keep us posted on how you are doing. We do care and want the best for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Neco

Post by Neco »

chicory wrote:One thing to consider is that many people have itching when taking narcotics. I don't mean an allergic reaction, rash itch but just plain itching is a side-effect for some people. Just a thought....

I must be in this super small percentile of people who when I take enough and do get an itch, find it extremely enjoyable and even moreso when I start scratching.... Am I weird or what

brandy

Post by brandy »

Em,
I had itching not long ago that was completly out of control. Mine was more of a reaction to a medication, I think, but it was very deep with no rash. My doctor suggested trying one of the antacids such as Tagamet or Prilosec. Apparently there are two types of histamine in your body. Drugs like Benadryl work on one and drugs like Tagamet work on the other. It didn't totally relieve the itching, but it kept me from clawing myself so badly at night I bled. It seems too much to hope that such a simple solution could be helpful, but, if you're like me, when you're at your wits end you're willing to try anything. Good luck, dear.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Zach wrote:
chicory wrote:One thing to consider is that many people have itching when taking narcotics. I don't mean an allergic reaction, rash itch but just plain itching is a side-effect for some people. Just a thought....

I must be in this super small percentile of people who when I take enough and do get an itch, find it extremely enjoyable and even moreso when I start scratching.... Am I weird or what

So funny zach,btw; love your name! My grandson, the center of my universe is Zach.

I get the itchy's. And i've also had the itch from perc's before, totally different.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda