Indigestion and RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
dogeyed

Indigestion and RLS

Post by dogeyed »

Does anybody else with RLS have problems with their digestion? I post in a gastro forum with people who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other digestive problems, including constipation, bloating, diarrhea, nausea. I found another person who has bloating like me and she has RLS. So, please post here if you have bloating too.

Also, I would like to know from the moderators, what are the percentages of people who are helped by the four categories of medicines? I've tried all four categories, and only the opiates (codeine) help me. It stops the RLS in its tracks and keeps me comfortable. I DID change some other meds I was taking for other stuff because they made RLS worse.

Is anyone having any luck with the new drug Requip? Which category of drugs does it fall in, or is it a new category? Thanks for any feedback.

nancyhugh

Post by nancyhugh »

I have rls and irritable bowel syndrome. The doctor said one of th causes of my ibs was my obsessive compulsive disorder. He said it's because people with ocd are more tense this triggers the symptoms of ibs. I'd say it could be the same with rls. Especially, if like me you're up all night feeling down because you can't sleep.
"Without haste, but without rest."-Goethe

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Requip is one of the Parkinson's meds. I had no luck with it or any of the Parkinson's meds.

I have severe GERD but my entire family on both side suffers with it too.
I take Prilosec,RX and once in awhile i need a Zantac for the severe times.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've posted this before, but it's probably lost low on the list these days. . .

Everyone with ANY weird digestive issues and RLS, should immediately get tested for celiac disease. It's often misdiagnosed as IBS. It also can cause other strange neurological symptoms, such as neuropathy with no known cause. Bloating is a very common symptom of CD among those that have gastro symptoms. So is nausea.

They don't have all that great data on what works, but this is what I've heard.

DAs - 70 to 100%, based on the study. Over time, I think this decreases because of augmentation.

AntiSiezure - only neurontin has been studied. In the studies it was somewhat effective in about 60-70 percent. It works better for those who have pain, not as well for those who don't. Informally, few people here on this board take it as their only drug, rather most use it in combination with something else. The other antisiezures have not had much success - Keppra, gabitril, etc., but do work for some (probably less than 30%, but I'm guessing).

Opioids - I've seen different figures, as low as 50% and as high as 90%. My guess is that it's somewhere around 60-70%. Some people can't take it because of an addictive personality, others because they are allergic, and they don't work for everyone. But, they tend to have the least amount of side effects.

Benzos - another tough one. Only Klonopin has been tested, and results were widely varied. They are great at putting people to sleep. They aren't as great at stopping the actual movements. They work well for some, but probably less than 50%. The main problem is that Klonopin has such a long half-life, it's in your system for days. They are also known for causing strong physical dependence.

Hope that helps some. Wish I had more concrete info for you.
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Thanks as always Ann!

Last time I was at Doc's I told him about the IBS I feel I have. He was asking which food triggered it...I told him "all of it"...then he said he wished he had gone to a forum on the affects of Neurological problems on other physical symptoms...I told him that next one, he's gotta go! He agreed...I love my doc....

Anyway, it's getting to be a bear to live with the IBS or whatever it is...and I also have a "touch" of OCD....hmnmmmmmmmm....will have to look into this one more....

love you all
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

I was on Requip for about 3 months earlier this year. At about 1 mg, I started to get severe acid reflux along with nausea and vomiting. This would happen mostly at night when I'd be lying down and have to run to the bathroom quickly. Less frequently, I'd vomit in the morning or even in the evening after dinner. The symptoms stopped within a few days after stopping Requip.
--Haggi