Driving...hmmm, might be in for trouble...

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sara

Driving...hmmm, might be in for trouble...

Post by Sara »

Hey, all--

I know many of us talk about horrible RLS symptoms (and that whole caged-animal feeling) when we are passengers in a car or plane... and I'm the same! Especially in the evening, and especially gaining elevation in the car.

But I've never remembered having RLS when I DRIVE the car... until this morning. I had RLS when I was coming home from dropping my kids at school.

I've been having quite a flare-up this week, and as I've mentioned to Nadia and others, some of that might be related to weather (barometric) changes we've been having-- from high pressure to very low back to high again now.

But it worried me a bit when I noticed the symptoms while driving. I turned on talk radio, kept my mind busy and on the road, and by the time I got home (20 miles) I wasn't noticing it anymore.

Do any of you (especially those with really intense RLS) have symptoms when you drive... and how have you coped with that while trying to stay safe on the road for yourself and others??????

Take good care.
Sara :?

pdnhead

driving

Post by pdnhead »

Hi, new to this site...Yes I have experienced RLS while driving and while a passenger. Just get home as fast (but safe) as I can and try to distract my mind from the jerking...as a passenger, grit my teeth till I can get out of the car.
So annoying. Mostly I notice this on long drives or when I am tired at the end of the day going home from work.
Music helps a little, the window down or the cold air on high.

jan3213

Driving and RLS

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Sara, it's Jan

Are you referring to twitching, unable to sit still, cramps, or what? I have experience all of the above, including a weird feeling in the small of my back AND getting really drowsy due to, I assume, lack of sleep and/or medication. Like pdnhead said, I usually turn the radio on really loud, sing, talk to myself (I'm sure people passing me or meeting me think I'm nuts), and rollig the window down to let cool air in). I get to the point where, as Becat said earlier in another thread, I'm really scared to drive alone, but sometimes it's necessary. You know how long I've had it. Sometimes a good, strong shot of caffein (even though we're NOT supposed to have it) has helped on short trips. At least, I don't get so sleepy. BTW, welcome pdnhead. I'm glad you found us, but sorry you have RLS. I haven't noticed you posting before, so I'm going to welcome you as if you're brand new!! I think you'll be happy here. There are so many wonderful people who belong here who are so willing to help you in so many ways. We have people who are wonderful at researching when you have a problem, people who are very knowledgeable regarding scientific questions, and people who are willing to share their personal experiences and offer advice, sometimes in the non-pharmaceutical area, or just lend an ear or a shoulder when you just want to vent. We're a family of fellow sufferers and you've found a home!! Welcome!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Post by Guest »

Cruise control is an absolute must for driving with rls!

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

You're absolutely right, "Guest". Incidentally, I have and use cruise control. Thanks for the advice, though! :lol:

Jan

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, all--

Thankfully to this point I'm usually able to control impulses to actually jerk. My RLS is mostly in my feet, though, and a lot of it in the arch, ball of the foot, and toes. So my "normal" (when my foot's not on the gas pedal) reaction is to press, flex or rub them.

OBVIOUSLY, I can't do any of those things when driving, however, so I'm afraid if this gets to be a pattern, that it's going to get hard to concentrate on the road because I'm going to have to concentrate on keeping my foot steady. <sigh>

Thankfully, at least I'm not sleep-deprived to any dangerous level yet. I'm only missing the last hour or two of sleep a night because my RLS is waking me early. So at least my wits are about me.

Interesting you all talking about cold air and open windows, though. Just thinking about that got my RLS sensations going double-time. I DON'T do better when I'm cold. Isn't that interesting? Hmmm... :?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'm not sure if my cruise control works, but it's something to keep in mind, certainly!

Sara :D

Celia

Post by Celia »

Hi, it's Celia. I'm not sure why my cruise control comment got posted as Guest, but I just logged in again so maybe it will work this time.
Sara I am with you I need to keep my feet and legs warm - not only will my rls start up but I will get foot cramps to accompany it!
I just found this site yesterday and am still working through all the info - it's nice to meet you.
I have already emailed jumpyowl for a survey.
Celia

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Celia--

I've seen another post or two of yours. And yes, sometimes people don't seem to get logged in right. Even Jumpy and some of the old timers occasionally end up posting as "Guest".

The cruise control comment was a good one; something I'd not thought of. I'll have to check. I can't recall if it's my current vehicle or my previous one that the cruise doesn't work on. My problem, though, is that I'm always driving up and down the mountain... not sure if you can use cruise for that. But when I go to the city, it would work great for the 45 minute drive on the interstate!

Interesting that you're a warm feet and legs person. We seem to be in a minority, from comments on here, anyway. (And a lot of my RLS relatives have "hot feet" discussed in some other threads lately, so they REALLY don't want their feet or legs warm!) But any amount of shivering, even very mild, seems to worsen my RLS sensations... like right NOW! Going to run and warm up by the woodstove.

Wishing everyone a decent night's rest!
Sara

nephriticus

Log-in idiosyncracy

Post by nephriticus »

sometimes people don't seem to get logged in right

If the Discussion Board Menu at the top of the screen doesn't change to "Log out [yourhandle]" after the first log-in, then your posts will indicate 'Guest'.

I have resorted to logging in twice in succession every time.

I have no idea what that is all about.
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

jan3213

Hi Celia

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

I'm glad you found Jumpy's email address. I hoped you would be able to find it from my instructions. Glad you're going to fill out a questionnaire!
Glad you found us, too!! I just talked to Sara about my "problem" and as soon as I can, a trip to my neurologist is in my future. I've got "family things" (important) to take care of first, but VERY SOON I'm going to Dr. Black to see if he can change my meds so I won't get so sleepy because it does scare me and it's not safe!! I've had this stupid stuff for 20 years and it's the pitts and then you have to take medication that causes problems. He'll hopefully get me straightened out!! I do pull over often, and really am aware of my problem and don't drive long distances! Anyway, welcome!!! I know you'll like it here and you'll meet a lot of very nice people who will be extremely helpful!! You've already met Sara, and there are many more members who can offer help with advice on medications (not to replace your doctor's advice, of course), research any questions you might have, and just lend an ear or a shoulder if you ever get discouraged or just want to vent. We're a family here and we all REALLY CARE ABOUT YOU!!! And, we all understand each other's problems better than anyone "on the outside". Once again, welcome!!!!

Jan

Leonne

Driving

Post by Leonne »

This posting on driving was very interesting. I love driving, because I have learned how to drive and keep the legs in control. If I go anywhere, I do the driving, because I can't ride. I drive about 30,000 miles a year. It is one of the few things I can do and relax. Here is the way I do it.

Being one of those with hot feet, the air conditioner is on most of the time, with the air directed down. My shoes and sock. My wife has a blanket so she can keep her legs and feet warm. The cruse control is a must.

I like driving at night, the radio will have any talk show available on. Something to think about helps. I am constantly pressing my feet against the floor board. I find eating sunflower seeds for whatever reason helps. A soft drink must be available at all times.

I will stop each 100 miles or so at a quick stop just to talk and tell jokes. I have yet to meet a stranger. When I get sleepy, I can stop and sleep for 15 minutes and wake up feeling like I had a whole night rest. Last week I drove 2000 miles in 34 hours. I stopped 6 times for my 15 minutes.

After being married to my wife for 48 years, I just found out that she has been a travel agent.....and I didn't know it.
..........She sends me on guilt trips. :D :D

Sorry about that one, but she liked it.

Have a good ride.

Leonne

jan3213

Driving and RLS

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Leonne, it's Jan

I'm so glad you joined!! I always enjoy reading your posts! You're always so upbeat AND you always have something funny to say or a cute anecdote to tell us! I appreciate you! Anyway, not to rain on your parade (sorry!), but I've REALLY got a problem, Leonne. You see, I get sleep after only about 1/2 hour in the car!!! REALLY!!! Isn't that ridiculous?! It's so frustrating! I do all the things you do--except I'M the natural born "travel agent". Ha! I talk, I sing, I eat (much to my "diet's" dismay! Ha! I, also, am very much a people person and I never meet a sranger! I talk back to the radio. I'm sure people passing me on the intersate think I'm a little coo-coo when they see that I'm talking and there's no one there's no one in the car with me! Ha! Now, even though I'm on quite a lot of meds, my RLS has started acting up again. This morning, I started with the creepy crawlies again. We've got an important family matter on te 26th of the month and before that something we have to kee our eye on, but after that, I have to see neuro ASAP because I can tell it's (RLS) starting again (been there, done that). Glad you on the board, Leonne.

Jan

Leonne

Driving

Post by Leonne »

Jan, it's me Leonne,

I'm back in the saddle again, and again, and again..... Jan I knew you and I have the same kind of personality. Life is a blast!

Jan, if I have only a few miles to drive, I too get sleepy. I stop at a safe place, (quick stops, truck stops, shopping centers or most anyplace where there are people and lights) and take my 15 minutes. :D Then I can go on. On long distance I get energized and can drive for hours. Don't forget to press your feet against the floor board regularly. That is my coping method.

That's my advice, but I rarely take my own. "A word of advice, don't give it". :lol: :lol:

Thank you

Leonne

Sara

Post by Sara »

Leonne--

I have always loved to travel my car/RV, and it's been a bit tough to take the fact that now, being a passenger much of the time, riding the roads is a lot less comfortable and enjoyable than it used to be. :(

Since I posted, I've NOT, thankfully, had more trouble while driving, despite some longer drives during some weeks where my RLS was especially troublesome. I'm HOPING that for a while, anyway, I get that respite of being able to drive more comfortably than I can ride. At least I still have options, that way. If we only didn't have such a behemoth of an RV, I'd love to help drive on our long camping trips. But at LEAST in an RV, as a passenger I have more opportunities to move about and change position when my RLS is bad and we're on a long haul.

Your strategies for driving with RLS are similar to my husband's for trying to stay awake when driving late/long. Sunflower seeds, lots of cold beverages, radio (though he HATES talk-- I LIKE it when I drive or work around the house-- does keep your mind busy), cool/cold air if possible (and I dress warmly to combat that, since my RLS is worse when I'm chilly), etc.

The cruise control idea certainly is a logical one, and I shared it with my brother-in-law (another moderate RLS sufferer) to keep in mind when his RLS gets him bad driving home from work (around midnight). That may end up being my ace in the hole down the road (ooops, no pun intended! :wink: ) I live far from the city and a ways from the nearest real town, so driving is going to continue to be necessary for me. Even picking up our mail at the post office is a 30 minute round trip!

Thanks to all who wrote on this subject with ideas and experiences. :D I appreciate your wisdom.

Sara :D

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I get RLS when I drive too. What helps for me is to turn the music up semi-loud but not ear drum busting, roll down the windows, talk to my self in my head like what I'm going to do when and think over a to-do list to get my mind off of it. I also tap or bounce my non driving foot/leg.