RLS LIFE: Drugs, Side Effects & Everything Else

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Will be incommunicado for a while.

Those who want to reach me know how.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Well, when I do things ... I do them well.

Was rushed to hospital yesterday arvo (Thursday) for a CT Scan of my Brain & Spine.

Why?

Monday morning I woke up with a strange headache. Well it wasn't a headache really it was just a weird stabbing pain on the right upper side.

Already had a physio appointment for Tuesday, so was looking forward to that and just spent Monday resting and had a few Nurofen Plus to try and dull the pain.

However, woke up Tuesday and could barely do a thing without feeling as though someone was hacking at my head with an axe. Not all over, just the same spot on the right hand side. Got Troy to drive me to physio and was there for over an hour (trigger point theraphy, ultra-sound & an ultra coldpack) before the physio rang my GateKeeper, who told him to send me straight over. So Troy picked me up and took me down, I could barely walk as every movement resulted in a "stab" in the head. Dr gave me two injections, one Tramal and one anti-chuck (the name is right on the tip of my tongue, but i'll be blowed if my brain will let me pull it off!).

Got home, and crashed big time. Dr DIDNT say it was a migraine, but that all the muscles on the right side of my shoulder and neck leading up into my head were in a very tight spasm.

So, back to Physio again on Wednesday. Different Physio. More trigger point therapy and ultra-sound but was still as tight as it was Tuesday. So, sent home with strict instructions to lie flat on my back with coldpacks on my neck and head. Yeah ... great ... good thing Ergon (the power company) had turned off the power in the neighbourhood so they could throw up some new power poles! Power went out at 8:30am and finally came back on at 2:00pm that arvo. Air-con was the first thing to go on, followed by a new round of ice packs.

Thursday, back to Physio. It was Tuesday all over again and by this time I was crying tears of pain and frustration. Physio rang GateKeeper who wanted to see me straight away again. Got there, had some basic neurological tests done before getting the "Get your caboose over to the Hospital for a CT Scan!"

I must've looked a right idiot. The only way I could walk was hunched over trying to keep my head as low as possible and at the right "angle"; and I was clinging to Troy so I didn't fall.

Preliminary results (from the guy who did the CT) was "no visible tumors, lesions or abnormalities".

It's midday Friday, and i'm not at all surprised that the medical imaging place are doing their ususal "go slow". So i'm patiently waiting for my dear GK to ring with the official results, and hopefully something wonderful to take the pain away so I can walk around without looking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame` ... and make a birthday cake for Karrissa for Sunday. I had a sticky at it yesterday, and thankfully she's chosen an easy one.

I'm tired of the pain and havin to lie flat and keep my head on a pillow on a chunck of ice. For once, i'd be happier if it was my RLS going skitz on me, coz at least i'd know what to do.

Acutally, speaking of RLS ... it's now officially storm season. Had massive hail-filled storms come across the region yesterday. Normally i'd have felt them comin about two days in advance; however, i've been so dosed up on painkillers my RLS hasn't had a chance to get a word in edgewise hehehe!

Ok, that's my "oh woe is me" moment for now. I'd better put my head back on the pillows.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

s75, Jeepers, what a time you've had. Troy too. Whatever it is, I hope the docs will be able to provide you with some relief and answers. When it rains it pours....... Sincerest wishes that you are feeling better soon.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am speechless, Nadia. I surely hope you get this figured out...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

wow nadia, from someone who suffers from migraines...i feel your pain....been there with the ice...the dark room and the migraine meds and threatning everyone if they don't bequiet they will face torture and something worse than death...even the animals!lol i am so sorry this has happened, did they say what caused the spasm? i wish you the speediest of recoveries and hope it goes away. but while u have it....enjoy the pain killers....when i had my foot surgery....i enjoyed the loopy and no rls pain...yay...

get well soon

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Nadia, thinking of you ((( hugs ))))
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Mornin all

I'm a bit bleary-eyed, and definitely not bushy tailed. I'm still not sure about driving any further than to the school or to the closest shops, but i'm getting there.

I ended up ringing my GK late Friday arvo and asking the nurse if my reports had come thru. They had (surprise, surprise!) but no-one had bothered to call me ... I hate that!

CT Brain and CT Cervical Spine were both clear of any abnormalities so it appears that its just one of those smurfin useless muscle spasms that chose a really great place (my neck and head) to settle in for a week ... or more.

I must say though that my week has been far from without worry and concern. Yes, i've had migraines; yes i've had generally disgusting tension headaches. This, though, was right up there with the meningococcal scare I had back in 2001!

It's taken it's toll on everyone in the household. Troy's a wreck, I'm ... yeah well, we'll skip that one, and the girls have just been told every day to be as quiet as mice. I'm so grateful that one of our friends was able to pick the girls up from school on Thursday when I was sitting in agony waiting for my CT Scan. However, he didn't realise that Troy had dropped me home and he had gone back to work. Knowing who it was coming through the front door like elephants, I sent a quick text message asking him to keep the troops quiet. He apologised profusely and promptly issued orders lol! I didn't hear another peep out of them until Troy got home.

My GK has blessed my use of extra codeine via the Nurofen Plus (Ibuprofen/Codeine) and because of the anti-inflammatory component in the Ibuprofen, but I have to keep count of how much I take each day or I go off into kooky-land!

So, yup, i'll be hangin around in this here world for a lil whiles yet ... much to Karrissa's delight coz now she know's she'll definitely her birthday cake tomorrow. Her b'day was back in Sept, but with holidays, time with mommy, etc, etc, it's taken us until now to organise a proper party with her friends (not includin our 3, there'll be 16 of them :shock: ). Betta late than neva!

I've rung the physio and booked in for a nice remedial massage on Monday. No more of the smurfin painful trigger point stuff. I'm still sore from that.

I've got the pain mostly under control at the moment. Every now and then I'll move the wrong way and instantly know about it, but at least I can walk upright without having to hang-on to someone or something.

Now all that's done I have to figure out a way to pay for it all without sending us straight into the red. I've cost us almost $1000 in one week! I've got health insurance for physio, but I reached my limit of claims about three weeks ago so I get slugged full price. I'll get just over half of each of the cost of the GK visits back which will go towards the Physio costs; and as for the CT's at $555.55 collectively, i'm gonna check out how much rebate I get from Medicare first before I start worrying about paying the rest.

Ok, it's nearly 10:00am Saturday morning. Troy's gone to work, the girls are doing a bit of cleaning ... and i'm going back to bed. I can hear the ice and pillows a-callin ... and the nurofen is kickin in ... here's hoping I can get some of the zzz's I missed out on last night.

Love n hugs to all xoxo
Nadia

becat

Post by becat »

Nadia I'm so glad to hear that it is nothing more serious. That is a relief in itself.

The cost of testing is high and hard on your body as well, I know, but to know for sure that all is just a muscle spasm is so much better for the heart and mind.

Ok, 16 little girls? :shock: :D Have fun! :wink:

We did those type of parties a couple of times, cept with boys. I learned my lesson after the 3rd or 4th......lol

I hope sleep found you and heal some of what is going on.

You stay in my prayers and trust me, it's a huge bright Oct. Moon, easy to fill.

Hugs and much love,
Lynne

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Just havin a mumble ...

Yes ... I survived the party ... so did my head.

This week my RLS has been doing some strange things. Two, totally outta the blue relentless attacks in the early to mid afternoon i.e. 1:00pm - 3:00pm.

They've both reduced me to frustrated tears.

And ... no rain!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!

At the moment I don't have any Ropinirole in my "back-up-box". I have a script but since it costs AUD$45, we can't afford it right now, especially after last week's medical nightmare.

So i've had to resort to disgusting levodopa/benserazide (soluble), extra codiene and just for something different, an extra amitrip-yada. The episode on Tuesday was so bad I ended up taking two doses of the levodopa/ben-yada ... and all I got for that was a frantic run to the porcelin king for a prayer session.

Today, BANG, same thing. Decided to skip a double dose of the L/B and had only one, extra codeine and for something different again, 1mg clonazepam. Now, technically, with all that in me ... I shouldn't be driving. It has worked though ... mostly ... still niggling away.

It was bad enough that I got chewed out by Troy this morning for not taking the girls to school in the mornings which was met by a torrid list of why I should call the cops to pull me over on the way home. He got the message. It's a lil hard to drive when you're in your own lil cloudy world.

Moonlight, my dear, if you are reading this, yes, stress does indeed exacerbate this wonderful affliction of ours. A happy face only stays glued on for so long. Behind the scenes, the stress (being caused by outside sources) is getting to the stage where this Momma Bear is gonna let out a roar of major proportions (not at her cubs ... but to protect her cubs). I'm guessing that's why i've had two unusual attacks ... and i'm expecting more.

Mumble finished ...
Nadia

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

A nine year old child plays what she thinks is a fantastic practical joke on her friends today at school.

The ramifications of that joke have just hit with one parent ringing us to say that her daughter is hysterical with grief.

Papa Bear ... furious with practical joker and thanked the parent for the heads up.

Momma Bear ... well ... tears are the only thing that are forthcoming at the moment.
Nadia

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hey Momma Bear.. take care
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As I mentioned in my PM...my step kids gave me all my gray hairs...

You can't help but love 'em, but my, oh my.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

ViewsAskew wrote:You can't help but love 'em, but my, oh my.

Yup, Ann i'm still as dumbstruck today as I was last night.

If my hair goes white overnight ... At least i'll know why. Hmmm ... I could always give it a lil help ... and give Aiken a run for his money in the colour stakes lol.

Oh geez, if I don't laugh, I just cry at the moment.

This is not the little girl who had one of said friends over for the weekend two weeks ago; it's not the little girl who was so happy go lucky for the four day weekend they just had (apart from the inevitable hissy-fit she threw at her older sister's b'day party); it certainly isn't the little girl who was playing and laughing with her older sister and I on Wednesday night.

I still don't know if she realises how much anguish she's caused her two "besties". And to top it all off, she's suddenly mates with the two girls that have been bullying her ... even got their email addy's so they could "chat". I've made sure that ain't gonna happen.

*Sigh* Yup, they gotta go down there today for the weekend. Where the grass is "so green" and life is "so wonderful" and noone ever gets into trouble ... HA!

I'll just stop right there ...
Nadia

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

All you need is some hair dye, Ann. ;)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do, lol, it's called Clairol.

Managing Your RLS