RLS LIFE: Drugs, Side Effects & Everything Else

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, sweetie, life sometimes just is hard, isn't it? As Hazel used to write, {{{{{{{{{{positive energy}}}}}}}}}}}} :)
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sardsy75

April is a F@#$ED up month

Post by sardsy75 »

I've officially written April off as the most F@#$ED up month.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Troy's mom had a heart attack on Wednesday night.

Well ... she had another massive one and passed away at 7pm on Friday night. She was 65.

Troy's Dad wasn't able to get there in time ... he left half an hour earlier to go home, have & shower & wash her nightgown. The phone was ringing as he got out of the shower. It hasn't hit him yet.

They tried to revive her, but knowing what was wrong with her and just how much pain she was in all the time I just know her body gave up to the peace. If they had revived her, they were discussing removing both her legs. S#$% of a way to go to get out of pain, but knowing just how much pain I'm in sometimes, if i was presented with that option, I'd take it too.

Troy's a complete mess, particularly because he'd promised to go up and see her that evening, but it ended up that he was late finishing work, then late picking the girls up.

I've kept telling him not to blame himself for not being there ... it was such an unpredictable thing. It's just been so sudden and unexpected. She'd not even discussed the thought of dieing with her husband so he had no idea if she wanted to be buried or cremated or what.

Karrissa & Bianca have been hit pretty hard ... Seanna, well, she's not quite 4 yet so trying to explain it to her is proving difficult. We've started with "Nana's gone to sleep and won't be waking up", but I'm not so sure that's sunk in. I dunno ... any suggestions? Every time Troy's Dad rocks up to the house she says "Where's Nana?".

Troy's two older brothers drove down from Townsville yesterday and they all went to see the funeral directors this morning. Troy's sister wasn't able to get time off work to come down, but will be here for the funeral.

The funeral will be this Thursday.

With all the S#$% that's going on with me at the moment i'm tryin to hold it together as best I can, but am failing miserably most of the time. I know it's going to take a good month for the thyroid drug to start to make any difference which isnt helping at all. I'm still like a bear with a sore head.

The thyroid drug i'm on is "Oroxine" or thyroxine sodium. My dosage is 1 x 100mcg at night. I go back to see the vampires in six weeks and then back to see the doc again to find out if the dosage needs to be changed.

In an effort to keep my mood swings under some sort of control i've started taking "schuessler tissue salts", one for general fatigue and exhaustion (general tonic - comb 12), and one to combat irritability and depression (nerve nutrient - kali phos).

I better get going.

Fingers crossed that May will be a slightly better month!

Love, lots of tears and hugs from down under ...
Last edited by sardsy75 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hugs from all of us up over. Life is just plain tough sometimes, isn't it?

I've sure never had to explain death to a young child. Not sure what I would do. Oh, wait. My niece was about 3 when my grandmother died. My sister and I went to the library and got some books about it and used whatever they said. I can't remember what it was, though. It seemed to work.

I hope that May offers all of you peace and healing.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

{{{{{{{Nadia}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry to hear about your mil. What a shock! My father in law died last Monday, but it was much different circumstances. He had been sick with cancer for over 3 years, and died at home surrounded by his children. It's still been hard for my husband, and my mother in law.

I totally understand about RLS and depression and mood swings. I understand all too well! And I swear, the meds they give us for the RLS really mess with our heads.

Take care of yourself. I do hope May is better.

Susan

ctravel12

RLS LIfe: Drugs Side Effects & everything else

Post by ctravel12 »

Oh Nadia I am so sorry to hear about Troy's mom passing away. I wish I could tell you how to tell the children. They are so young and do not understand. I am glad that they have you and Troy there for them.

I know that you are not in the best health right now and will pray that God will keep all of you strong through this.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

sardsy75

Still Alive .... And Kickin ...

Post by sardsy75 »

I've wanted to come in here and vent so many times since my last post its past funny ... but just couldnt.

I've been so sick and tired and tired of bein sick its past bein funny.

I had my GP call me a drug addict to my face, so I wrote him a three (3) page letter and told him a few facts and also accounted for, literally date by date, 93 out of 100 30mg pure codeine phosphate tablets; as he thought i had taken them in an unusually quick fashion. To my complete astonishment, I received a phone call from him the next day, apologising for the way he had treated me. I felt a little better, but still ... once its been said ... you start to wonder ...

I then wrote another three page letter. This time to my sleep doc. Fortunately I didnt have to justify anything to her, just brought her up to speed on the goings on in my life since I had last seen her.

Troy ... my God ... I love this man to death. I have been the biggest handful since the day I moved in and he has just kept on being there for me. Along with him running a household, three kids and going to work.

Not long after Troy's mum passed away, I became literally bedridden with pure exhaustion and pain. I had to be helped not only to and from the toilet, but on it and off it. I was down to sponge baths and even suffered the complete indignity of wetting the bed one morning simply because I couldn't wake Troy in time to get me out of bed and half carry me to the toilet.

Yup, i've been down in the deepest doldrums of the dumps.

RLS? Thyroid? Plain ol exhaustion? Who knows? All I know is that Troy overrode me a number of times and rang my clients up in Rocky and said he'd taken my car keys off me and put me back to bed because he knew I was too out of it to drive an hour or so each way to work. Thankfully I have very understanding clients. I've been with both of them for four years, so they've ridden the rollercoaster with me in a way.

Moodswings ... wow ... I've been a right royal b***h from hell more times than I want to remember. It's been hard on Troy ... and the girls. I think it was more the Thyroid (I have Hashimoto's) than the RLS and my hormones reacting to the drug my GP has put me on.

Needless to say, when you think your problems are solved when they hand you your thyroid meds, they aren't ... coz they forget to tell you that it can take up to three months for the meds to start taking proper effect.

Yuk!!!

My inability to walk got to the stage where Troy's father gave me his wife's walker. But i'm sure she wouldn't have minded. It's embarrassing enough when I reach for the walking stick, but I had booked to go to a two day "Bookkeeper Bootcamp" in Brisbane ... 600kms and an hour's flight away ... yup ... I got the "royal" treatment ... first person onto the plane, via wheelchair and last off, via wheelchair ... and pick up ye ol trusty walker at the baggage carousel. Then two days of pure hell and stickin out like the proverbial sore thumb at a conference. To add insult to injury, the conference was held at a retreat centre that was at the foot of the mountains. Oh yeah ... I lurved those hills for two days!!! I was rats**t when finally I got home.

So, yup ... hell and back ... hell and back ... hell and back ... and so on.

Troy and I flew to see my sleep doc back in early June and you're gonna laugh when you see the c**p I have to put up with now ...

Sunday
Morning - 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate
Evening - 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate
Bedtime - 1 & 1/2 x 50mg Amiltriptyline, 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate, 1 x 0.5mg Clonazepam, 1 x 2mg Clonazepam ... 1 x Oroxine (Thyroid stuff) ... 3 x 2000mg Valerian, 1 x Multivitamin

Monday
Morning - 1/2 x 0.5mg Clonazepam
Evening - 1/2 x 0.5mg Clonazepam
Bedtime - 1 x Levodopa100mg/Benserazide25mg, 1 & 1/2 x 50mg Amiltriptyline, 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate ... 1 x Oroxine (Thyroid stuff) ... 3 x 2000mg Valerian, 1 x Multivitamin

Tuesday
Morning - 1 x Levodopa100mg/Benserazide25mg
Evening - 1 x Levodopa100mg/Benserazide25mg
Bedtime - 1 & 1/2 x 50mg Amiltriptyline, 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate, 1 x 0.5mg Clonazepam, 1 x 2mg Clonazepam ... 1 x Oroxine (Thyroid stuff) ... 3 x 2000mg Valerian, 1 x Multivitamin

Wednesday
Morning - 1/2 x 0.5mg Clonazepam
Evening - 1/2 x 0.5mg Clonazepam
Bedtime - 1 x Levodopa100mg/Benserazide25mg, 1 & 1/2 x 50mg Amiltriptyline, 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate ... 1 x Oroxine (Thyroid stuff) ... 3 x 2000mg Valerian, 1 x Multivitamin

Thursday

Friday
Morning - 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate
Evening - 1 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate

Saturday

Pretty funky huh? NOT!!! That, believe it or not, is Plan C ... there was no Plan B ... and I'm wondering what the heck Plans D, E, F & G are gonna be because I'm already getting horrid daytime attacks when i'm on the Levodopa100mg/Benserazide25mg for 24hrs. I read somewhere that the most someone should take is 300mg of Levodopa per week if its being used in conjunction with other meds ... well ... i'm on 900mg per week.

I got so confused I've bought a diary and write down what I take each day PLUS anything extra I take e.g. Nurofen Plus (Ibuprofen/Codeine Phosphate) or extra Clonazepam if I get broadsided with a nasty attack.

I've even resorted to buying Tissue Salts, in a conserted effort to help myself in wateva way I can. I've been taking:
- Nerve Nutrient: Kali Phos ... For the relief of nervous tension, irritability (woohoo thats me!), depression (yup, me too!) and tension headaches.
- General Tonic: Comb 12 ... For the relief of overall fatigue and exhaustion.
Honestly ... I think they do have some effect because I ran out of both and it was a week before I could get any more, and I did notice a difference in my temperament. Then again ... it could be all in my head ... hang on ... RLS is already there ... cant go clogging it up with too many problems ...

I've also bought one of those pill packs where you divy up all your tablets day by day, morning, noon & night. Only problem is that my thyroid meds have to be kept in the fridge so I have to make sure i grab it when i do my last rounds of the house at night, or I send Troy out to get it for me.

I'm trying to cram three months of stuff into one relatively short post (you know what my "short posts" are like lol) and would quite happily keep typing about various things i've already written about, but literally, am too tired and emotionally worn out. If you prod me with enough questions tho I might elaborate on whatever it is you desire to know more about.

I wish I could say that my absence has been due to good fortune with my RLS, but unfortunately it has been the opposite.

My world came to a complete stop on June 25 when my beloved friend, companion, furry "nugget" of a cat ... my "baby boy" ... Fidget, died in my arms. He was 7. Not having had the chance to have children of my own, Fidget was my "child". We talked. We watched tv together. He'd sleep at my feet while I was working at the computer. He would insist on sleeping as close to me as possible (before I moved to Gladstone & was living on my own) when he knew "mum" wasn't feeling well. He was my sounding board when I got frustrated. He was my shoulder when I cried. Yes, he was a cat, but he was the most loving, adoring, understanding companion and friend I have ever had. I remember the day back in late 2003 when I collapsed on the floor, unable to move, from an overdose of Sinemet & Nurontin (no i'm not seeing that Neuro any more!) and it was less than a minute before I felt a wet nose on my foot. It was Fidget, nudging me ... his way of saying "what's up mum? ur not meant to be down here" ... he worked his way up to my head and that's where he stayed. Sitting beside me, watching over me until I was able to move and get to the couch and the phone. You could say, that after that event, he never let me out of his sight. If he lost sight of me, he would literally call out and then find his way to me whereever I was in the house or downstairs. I miss him so much. To Troy he was just a cat. Yet Troy has had the blessing of having three beautiful children of his own. I havent. True pet owners will know what I am rambling on about. Fidget was my "baby boy". He will be buried this weekend at the pet cemetary at the cattery where he used to go for his "holidays" when I went away. The owners there are beautiful people and I know that he will be in safe hands. Erin, who looks after the cattery, told me that she was privilidged to be the one who gets to say "hello" to Fidget each day. She is a REAL cat peson.

I'm rambling ... I'm bawling my eyes out as I type .... its nearly midnite ... methinks its time to put myself to bed. Its been a long week.

Hugs to all ...
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ctravel12

RLS LIFE: Drugs, side effects and everything else

Post by ctravel12 »

Oh Nadia I am so sorry to hear all that has happened to you. You have been on my mind as I have been looking at your past posts and thought you might be doing better and then I read this. I do not know what to say but will keep on saying prayers for you.

I am also a pet lover and know how you feel about your beloved cat. They are definitely wonderful to have around. Sometimes you cannot put into words how wonderful they are and like you said if some people are not pet lovers they cannot relate to this. Well I definitely can.

I am also so happy that you have Troy there for you. He sounds like a wonderful and understanding person.

Thank you for posting to us even though it was not a happy one but am glad that you can share this with your family.

Please take care of yourself. We all do care.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Oh Nadia, I'm sorry to hear about your boy. I do understand, mine was "Sam", if he could have been human, no man could have matched him.
I'm just so sorry. Give your dear man a break, if he's not a cat person, he just couldn't understand your loss.

Sounds like things are jumbled at best, again for you. I so often wish that there were easy answers, better meds. and treatments, and docs that worked with thier hearts.

I have had it out with my GP over the same issue, while we are working on another medical issue. Not fair for them to know us this long and then turn the tables. Hang tough and you did the right thing by writing to him. I just told on mine, making him call me to discuss it. But we did have it out and stand on better ground now.

It seems that any other illness, or problem can throw us into a spin, freefall of sorts. It's simple hard enough to deal with what's at hand.
Thyroid is never an easily deal, even without RLS.
Jumpy would surely ask that you carefully look at your cocktail. I miss him you know.

Honey we're always here. breath, type your heart out, cry and scream. We're not going away.
Your the one that has to get the handle on all that is about you. This will pass, and you'll be up again. Your body has never liked it when you over do, and then it reminds you that you have to take it carefully.
You have ever reason to feel blue and tired, sick and tired, but I know you.......you'll likely get torked off and fight back sooner than you think.

We're so far apart, but the moon connects us.
Look to it my girl, we've filled it full of the hope and our prayers.

Hugs Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Nadia, what a rough time of it you've had. I only hope that you can find something to stop this madness soon. And, losing Fidget in the middle of this - that's devastating. As Lynne said, you do have a mixed bag - Troy and those lovely girls are so wonderful. . .hopefully soon you can enjoy all of that wonderfulness with them, instead of only being a recipient.

I do worry about the amount of levadopa - the risk of augmetation is just so, so high. Then again, not sure if you could tell, it sounds like everything is just so out of hand.

Glad you stopped in - I was worrying about you.

Managing Your RLS

lizbestill

Post by lizbestill »

Nadia, you certainly have had a rough time of it all to put it mildly! Was wondering if you could send a photo of Fidget? I love to draw animals. Just a thought, Elizabeth

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

((((((hugs))))))

What a time you've had. And losing your kitty. I believe that pets are sent from God to love us and take care of us. It's so sad when they leave us. And that medication schedule! :shock: I hope you get some relief with that.

Prayers and best wishes to you, Nadia.
Susan

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Nadia,

No words. You and Fidget are in my prayers.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Never got around to finishing this post
Nadia

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Yeah still alive ... much to some people's disgust.

RLS is under control ... HOWEVER i have removed the levodopa/benserazide from my weekly regime and the days i am supposed to have it i just have nothing. So far so good.

I buried Fidget on August 4th in the pet cemetary at the boarding kennels he used to stay at when I (or ex-hubby & I) used to go away for long periods. I think about him every day and the number of times I could swear under oath that he has jumped up onto our bed is ... well i dunno ... all i can say is, he know's "mum's" not well and is still doin his job of keepin an eye on me.

August 11th I had a fibreglass cast put on my left hand/wrist/thumb. They buddy strapped my right index finger to the next finger.

Fast forward a few weeks to now ...

Yesterday i had an MRI on my right index finger (and the rest of my hand), today the MRI was on my left thumb.

Two busted fingers ... one on each hand ... you dont realise just how much you rely on your fingers, hands, wrists, arms until they're taken out of commission and you have to rely on everyone else around you for help ... even for goin to the loo and have a shower.

What DOESN'T help is the TITANIC mood swings that can have you switching from any one of ten people in one day. What the? Yup ... thyroid.

That's it from me for now. Just checkin in to let you all know i'm still on the right side of the grass ... for now.

The pretty pics of my hands come back next week and I strongly suspect that i'll be having more than one re-visit with the orthopeadic surgeon.

Hope all my long-time buddies are doin ok ... i've not logged on for quite a while due to the probs with my hands and the depression thats gone with it as i'm also looking for more work. We had a lunar eclipse here the other week ... i watched it ... thinking of my buddies who are so close via the moon, yet so far away.

To all the newbies who are reading this ... there is so much useful info on these boards we could almost make a set of encyclopedias from it! Dont be afraid to ask a question as there is no such thing as a dumb or stupid question.

Love, hugs and the moon to you all
Nadia

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Dear Nadia

I had not read about your dear Fidget. I am so sorry! I understand completely. We have "Willie", our JRT, who is a "person" in our eyes. We love him so much, so I know the loss you feel.

Now, your hands. Again, I am so sorry! You have had such a rough time for a long time. Is there anything they can do about your hands? Surgery, perhaps if the casts do not help? I really hope so.

You have a lot on your plate, no wonder you are having mood swings! Give yourself a break, honey. You always have us!

Love
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.