Sex and RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
kmoliver84

Sex and RLS?

Post by kmoliver84 »

Call me crazy, but after I have an orgasm...my RLS is immensely worse. Shouldn't it be the other way around..? Haha. Anybody else have this problem?

sardsy75

You are FAR from Crazy

Post by sardsy75 »

Hiya KM :)

Firstly, you are FAR from crazy!!! As I know exactly what you are talking about (and I'm sure that a LOT of other people do as well, but aren't willing to talk about it in public just yet 8) )

This is a topic which actually HAS been discussed (albeit very briefly :roll: ) on this site under the "New to RLS".

Took me a little while to find the thread titled "RLS Medications: Their Effect on the Libido" (now hidden on page 2 of "New to RLS") and here is the quick link:

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49

Below are my own takes on the topic, plus an update:

sardsy75 wrote:RE: Here's My Take on the Topic
Posted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:43 am

Trying not to blush too much as I type!! :oops:

Being on one parkinsons med (Cabergoline) by itself for six months last year did not increase my libido.

Switched to a different parkinsons med for four weeks (bromocriptine) - had such bad RLS during that period that I think my hubby only got lucky twice!

A four month stint on two parkinsons meds (cabergoline & benzeroside/levodopa), a sedative and an anti-depressant has definitly NOT sent my libido soaring sky high.

However, when I am in the mood (which is not often enough because I am so exhausted all the time) and I can manage to keep my RLS under control for long enough, yes, the sex is great. BUT, within minutes of satisfaction, ye ol' RLS is back with a bang, and the idea of falling into a satisfied sleep in hubby's arms is not an option!

Yes, the combination of RLS, the drugs and my sapped energy levels, has very much spoilt what used to be a very healthy sex-life and has very much put a strain on our relationship.

I'm not going near the Dope topic in a public forum - it causes way too many heated "discussions".

Nadia (28.)

Then my followup post after a visit to a second neuro in late May:

sardsy75 wrote:Re: Drugs Definitely Had An Effect On My Libido!!!
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:08 am

Thought it was about time to bring this subject back to light...so to speak :wink:

I have been OFF all the dopaminergic, anti-convulsant and sedatives for five weeks now.

While I was on all of those (for 10 months) my libido was well and truly on an extended vacation. If my dear hubby did manage to get me in the mood, yes I enjoyed the sex and had some great orgasms, but, the minute it was over ye ole legs would kick back in with a BANG and i'd be up pacing the house for the next couple of hours.

Now, i'm on 30mg of Endep/Elavil per night only and ... My Gawd!!! ... for the past three weeks, I've felt like a luv-struck teenager!!! My libido has returned from vacation and hubby is more than grateful!!

Think i'll stop there :oops:

Nadia

OK, since then, I'm back on a cocktail of drugs and my libido ain't quite sure what's going on, BUT, it hasn't disappeared altogether (phew!). When my legs ARE in full swing, yes, straight after the Big O, my symptoms are back with a bang :?

Check out the link to the thread and read the entire thing as some people have found that they're worse ... others better. Like RLS itself, it certainly appears to be an individual thing :roll:

Considering that sex is more often than not an integral part of a healthy relationship it is certainly a topic that we shouldn't be afraid of discussing, particularly if we are concerned that the RLS and/or the drugs are causing a negative effect on our sex lives and in turn causing problems within the relationship.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

kmoliver84

Post by kmoliver84 »

Thank you so much for your reply! I had no idea there were other posts on this in other sections of the board. Thanks so much for directing me towards them.

I wish more people would reply to this thread, though. ;) I'm very open so I apologize in advance for divulging too much info.

I'm not currently taking any medication for my RLS, so my libido is full-swing (20y.o. female here). I am weary about all types of drugs, and probably wouldn't start taking any meds for my RLS until the symptoms got completely unbearable. They're not at that point yet, but are definitely getting close.

Aside from barely being able to sit through an entire class...(my longest class is an hour and a half..sometimes I have to leave early because I'm practically jumping out of my seat), and having issues getting to and staying asleep, I've noticed lately, that even if I simply get *turned on* my RLS starts acting up. If and when I do orgasm, I'm completely out of it for a few minutes (as most people are..! haha) and then the RLS starts wreaking havoc on my legs, starting in my feet and ankles and then moving all the way up to my hips. My worst RLS symptoms occur after I orgasm. The worst spots are my ankles and thighs. Thrashing about is okay when you're "getting your groove on", so to speak...but not afterwards when you're enjoying the post-coital cuddle time. It's so annoying! And the anticipation of the creepy crawlies *almost* makes me want to AVOID orgasm for that very reason. Almost, not quite ;)

Sometimes I take a sleeping pill to help calm me down post-orgasm. And probably about once a week I take 2 pills at bedtime to help me sleep through the twitching and crawling in my legs. Almost everyone I've talked to competely looks down on that, but it's really the only thing that helps (non Rx). I do not have an addictive personality, and only use the sleep aids when completely necessary. Sometimes a hot shower or bath after a "fulfilling" (ie: orgasmic) sex session helps calm my legs.

Again, thank you so much for replying to my query. :) I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this either!

ViewsAskew

Count me in

Post by ViewsAskew »

Same here. I'm not sure who it's more unnerving for, me or my partner :( . When you have to jump up out of the bed immediately after it gives the wrong impression! Good thing we're together for the long haul and he knows it's not about him. One thing that helps me it to have sex earlier in the day. Now that my RLS is waning (coming off of a bad spell), it doesn't start until later in the evening. Today we were intimate in the late afternoon, and no RLS!

Ann

bradyferguson

Post by bradyferguson »

bye
Last edited by bradyferguson on Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sara

Post by Sara »

I decided not to reply to this until I thought about it for awhile and paid closer attention. So, with some trials under my belt (no pun intended :wink: ), I have to say that I do have some surge of RLS symptoms after really good sex. But like ViewsAskew (Ann? right?), if it's early in the day, it's not a problem (it starts up mildly, but doesn't last). Another good reason for afternoon delight for me, I guess. :lol:

Sara :oops:

lilmombt

the big "o" & rls

Post by lilmombt »

i'm so sorry for those of you who hurt worse after great sex! i have been lucky in that area :Dgreat sex makes mine go away for long enough so i can get about 4-5 hours of sleep(all at once) so my husband gets upset that i want sex EVERY NIGHT & if i don't get it i'm in pain,can't sleep,then mad which of course makes it twice as hard to go to sleep cuz i'm one who can't fall asleep mad :evil: & he dosen't get it he'll say just close your eyes & go to sleep it's that easy!!! & if i wake him w/ my jumping he gets upset & says can't you stop that? DUH don't you think if I could stop it I WOULD!! do you really think this is something i enjoy living w/? SORRY I WENT OFF ON A TANGENT,husbands can just be so ARRRG :wink: right? anyway sex is a great way to get some well diserved rest for some,those of you that are worse i have a ?? do you have 1 or multi."o"s i have found the more you have the better it is if i only get 1 my legs can act up worse i think woman need to get at least 2 to be in the RELAX state so rls can be calm for me personaly my legs cramp at 1 cuz i'm not done when i get MY fill here comes sleep,if you haven't tried give it a go maybe it will work for you to!!& if not the worst case you have great sex but no change. GOOD LUCK :Dlilmom

bradyferguson

Post by bradyferguson »

bye
Last edited by bradyferguson on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmoliver84

Post by kmoliver84 »

bradyferguson wrote:yes I agree husbands can be a pain in the behind...... I am one of thoes pains as you can probably read from my posts.... At first I was not going to respond to this as usually when the topic of sex comes up some either shy away from the subject or they just chime in wiht a bunch of gobbily goop......

but I think that you need to hear how a husband who suffers with rls feels. And I have felt like my wife has gotten fed up with me shaking the bed and makes me feel as though i am puposefully keeping her awake.

I believe the the whole syndrome fogs our judgement.....

The spouse of the affected partner is usualy left not understanding what the problem is. We can not expect our spouses to understand RLS..... however if they are willing to listen..... this has been a great tool for me. This fourm..... have your spouse read some of the posts..... They will soon come to understand that there situation with there spouse is not that different than alot of people......

As we here in this support network band together and join forces we can not forget to take our spouses along with us for the ride. Pardon the pun.

Some spouses can become threatened by the relationships that are formed here. But sometimes you just have to be a good listener.
I used to fight that battle. Poor me you dont understand my RLS you blakity blank. etc etc.....Yes I was pissed off ...... but at whom.

I was truly piss off at this syndrome not at my spouse ..... i was guilty of directing my anger for this disorder at my wife. The one who loves me most in this world. My partner.... How dare me.

But my wife was too guilty at directing her frustration with my doctors and with this syndrome at me..... I felt helpless as though if I could not get over this disorder I would never stop hurting her.....

We have tried to channell our anger now
we remind each other of source. RLS The syndrome

Wow am i just full of it today

always a pleasure

Brady

To answer your question....I'm a DEFINITE one-timer...completely unable to have multiple o's.