Weight Lifting & RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Heronak

Weight Lifting & RLS

Post by Heronak »

I've talked to several RLS sufferers who've equated increased aerobic activity with increased RLS symptoms. Personally, I have not found that cause & effect (I cycle and work out regularly and at high intensity).

But I'm wondering about weight lifting. I've recently increased my lifting workouts (frequency, duration & intensity) and have had an increase in RLS symptoms as well. Anyone else experience this?

Heron

jumpyowl

Perhaps your body is warning you.

Post by jumpyowl »

Hello, Heron: I did not know you were a physical fitness "nut." :) I think it is great you can do it. I wish I could.

However, I believe that we should listen to our bodies when they are telling us something. It is hard to do when we are on an endorphine high but it is still a good idea.

Unless you want to train for the olympics or for the title of Ms. Alaska I think you should do your exercise in moderation. Especially weight lifting!
Your muscles get saturated with lactic acid during anerobic exercise and we do not know what that does to the nerves.

How about going back on weight lifting to the previous level and see what happens. :?:
Jumpy Owl

Post by Guest »

My experience with lifting was that I sleep better when I lift in the evenings, on days I do my leg workout.

I had an unfortunate period when I was without my medication, and the only night I slept well was the one with an hour of lifting focusing on legs.

But of course that's just anecdotal.

Cheers,
Matt

Heronak

Update

Post by Heronak »

Just an update on this thread, FWIW. I eased off the weight lifting for about 4 weeks and have seen no easing of my RLS. I'm back at it again and have found no increase. Of course the variable in all this is that I'm now taking Mirapex, so who knows what it all means?

Heron