Addictions and RLS. . .

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Addictions and RLS. . .

Post by ViewsAskew »

I was reading the "My RLS Mountain" posts from the last couple of days and I started thinking (dangerous, I know!). I used to be a smoker and have struggled with weight since I was a child. I absolutely use food (specifically sugar and fat) the way someone else might use drugs or alcohol: to self-medicate. My sister, who has RLS, has the same food issues. I know it's a genetic thing between us (my whole maternal side has it), but every last one of us has had problems with depression, alcohol, food, and/or nicotine. Again, this could be because we are all part of the same family group, genetically and behaviorally.

But since the neurotransmitters are involved deeply with addictions and we have difficulty with those same neurotransmitters, could there be a link :?: Could the dopamine deficiency be implicated in other issues? If anyone has thought of that or seen any research or info about it, I would love to hear.

becat

Hi there

Post by becat »

Hi there,
We had a thread started on this very thing, CEPT.........no one posted much on it. But I thought you's like to read it, it's short.

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=359

Glad your here, sounds like your a thinker too! That's a good thing. WE have tons of thinkers, and your aloud to do so out loud. Best part of that, sometimes wat we read here jogs our own thought process and Eureka Happens.
Have a good one.

ViewsAskew

Thanks for the link

Post by ViewsAskew »

Becat I appreciate the link. . .goes to show what a little searching on my own would have done :oops: . I'm surprised no one was that interested in the topic, especially as several people have indicated additions. Well, it's my guess that no one knows what they are really doing by playing with these neurotransmitters. They regulate so many things and being our of whack can create LOTS of issues.