Going for it

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Going for it

Post by ViewsAskew »

[This truly is relevant to RLS although it may not at first seem to be!]
My partner has celiac disease. You may have heard of it recently; it's been in the news more and more often. 15 years ago, the medical community thought that it occurred in 1 in 5000 people. 8 years or so ago, they thought it was 1 in 3000. Now they know it is 1 in 125 or so in the US and Europe. It's an autoimmune disorder that affects absoption in the intestines; people who have it can't eat gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye, or they become unable to absorb the nutrients in their food. The symptoms are extremely varied, so cases don't always present the same and are often confused for IBS, iron deficiency, neurological disorders, etc.

So, what does this have to do with RLS? Well, first, the medical community has severely underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed it, and, second, the people who have it have decided to fight for recognition. And they are succeeding. RLS is also severly underdiagnosed and mistreated. And I think we will succeed, too.

I belong to a celiac message board that has over 10,000 members! These people never stop in their fight to get celiac disease recognized and to push for new diagnostic tests and possible treatments. They continually bombard manufacturers with questions about products and labeling. They lobby Congress to change food labeling laws. They have put a face on celiac disease. They meet in local meetings and online, they educate each other, the public and non-celiac family members.

The people on this board and those who participated in the surveys are doing the same thing that those celiacs have done. Celiacs have stopped accepting poor doctors, just as we are doing. Celiacs have demanded that they get the attention that they need and deserve. We are starting to do that, too. In some of our posts, we talk about "firing" our doctors. We need to continue to do that, while educating them at the same time. The only way we will get anything more is to create what we do want.

I'm using those celiacs as my role model 8) . A few years ago, Kraft was unable to tell a caller if some of their products had gluten. Thanks to those active celiacs that refused to accept things the way they were, now Kraft has a policy that it will label ALL PRODUCTS if they contain major allergens. We can safely buy food in a way we could not do before.

Here's to the same happening for us. Here's to all of us here that participate, educate ourselves and others, refuse to let our doctors intimidate us and/or provide us with outdated or inferior treatment, and continue to push for this to be recognized as the serious condition that it is.

becat

Yeah

Post by becat »

I can't tell you how great it is to see someone with a common goal such as your post states. Many of us believe that we have power in numbers. I, like you, think that part of our success will be right here on this board. I know that it was a life changer for me when I came back to the site earlier this year. I bet many others would say the same about being here.
It's now a normal feeling to be here and know that I am understood. That was not the case for the largest part of my life. It was here that I was given my wings. I found a certain resolve that RLS was apart of me, but I could do with it what I could. I think listening to others here, makes us rethink ourselves. I was able to reach out and help others, that brings me strenght. I know we're a growing board, I love it. It's grown so much that I feel we have golden moment every time someone new comes aboard. The older members here have done so much with this board. Like you, the newer members find a home and usually chime right in. It's a great thing to know that we have a solid future here. Thanks for saying it out loud........your not alone in this. It's a great place, with awesome people. It will take all of us to keep it going. I'm glad your here View.
See ya soon in Long Beach.

jan3213

Thank you View for stepping up to the plate!

Post by jan3213 »

Hi View, it's Jan

I wanted to say thank you for stepping up to the plate before you left for Long Beach. Too many people these days don't want to get involved, but look at what's happened on this Board. I feel the same as Becat. This Board has meant so much more to me than just a support group. I have become a better person because of this Board. Even though I have had RLS for so long, I have learned so much about the syndrome than I even knew. And hearing other's stories, how many people suffer, has made me want to do whatever I can to help someday erradicate this syndrome. I appreciate you, Becat, Jumpy, Rubyslipper, and anyone else who will be there to try to bring our cause to the forefront. I would be there, but my husband is working on his master's and money is too tight. But, I will be with you in spirit. You don't know how badly I would like to be part of it all! This could be an exciting time for all of us. And I think we have some great reprsentatives in the two of you and the others I have mentioned. Whatever our differences--and with this many members there are bound to be differences in opinion, background, etc.,--we have come together to fight for a cure, or at the very least, acknowledgement that something needs to be done about this awful demon called RLS. Like Becat said some time ago, together we can make a big fist!! I'm proud to be part of it all and I wish you two God's speed as you travel to Long Beach. We'll all be thinking of you, I'm sure (I know I will be) and, whatever happens--if you are not allowed to present the qestionnaires or Quality of Life Statements, you have done your very best. Good luck and once, again, than you from the bottom of my heart.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.