How much medication is necessary??

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Jimmie

How much medication is necessary??

Post by Jimmie »

I am new to all of this. Oh, I have had RLS for 3 years or so but no one knew what it was. Does everyone take several medications to deal with RLS? I am taking ambien to sleep, using a pain patch, taking Keppra and sometimes using another pain medication by mouth. I am up again tonight it is 12:00 midnight and I can't lie still enough to sleep. Guess I had better get an appointment with a doctor that knows more about this. Mine tries but don't think she is aware of new procedures. Jimmie :?

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

hi jimmie and welcome and sorry you have a need to come here.

we're not Dr's but people in the same boat.
In my opinion your on alot of meds to be just starting out.
thats what happened to me. Litterally nothing would put me to sleep after trying almost every med known to man. this was over 30 years ago,

My impression is you might be on the on the wrong combo for you.. Any way to see a sleep dr. or a neurologist?

After 30 years here's what i'm on
all at bedtime and remeber it's not recommending it's just what i take.
2-3 mg's Klonopin (my basic drug)on it forever
2 Ultrum's
a shot of Niquil

Once in awhile(twice since i got stable in the 80's).,, ill go through a period of no sleep and something else needs to be added for awhile but i always ween myself off of the new one and try again. So far so good. Just a piece of advice;

when meds keep getting added,none taken away you need someone to look out for you. Someone to tell you you're too sleepy during the day, not yourself..too tired.

Here's why, it looks like you've gotten a good night sleep, you don't remember waking up. Fact is you may have not gotten the right kind of sleep or are getting too much meds.
IMHO this is a must. It can be dangerous. it's a balancing act.

good luck in your quest for the right RLS cocktail!
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda