new here, some thoughts and questions

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
red-shoes

new here, some thoughts and questions

Post by red-shoes »

i'm new here but not new to rls. i'm 43 and i was diagnosed more than 10 years ago. i was on ultram (tramadol) for all of those years and my rls was 98% controled. 50 mg of ultram and a glass of wine once in a while and i was pretty good. then 2 months ago i had a stroke and my dr. took me off ultram cold turkey - thus began the most miserable days and nights of my life. i begged my dr. for something and he prescribed requip - it works ok.

well, it turns out that ultram had nothing to do with the stroke but now i'm not sure if i want to go back on it. maybe i should give requip more of a chance. my new neurologist believes i can stop taking all meds and just take iron suppliments. i sincerely believe the man to be deranged.

i'm now taking requip with half of the ultram. that can't be good but the requip just doesn't cut it and now i'm feeling like a junkie.

please share your thoughs out there even if it's negative, i don't mind.
jennifer

becat

Post by becat »

Deranged I love it, I would agree with you.
My thoughts are that he does not want you on meds he can't or won't willingly prescribe for you.
Most neuros as a rule, from what I've read here, don't like to give pain meds....Unless they have had surgical contact with you and then it's limited.
Not their fault all together, the DEA threatens them all too much.
You know I'm no doc and old school at that...........I would take what works.
If you think the Requip is fine, stay, if you think the Ultram helped more, I'd go back.
It is about what is working.
I'm 43 as well, and God help me I wished I'd found help 10 yrs ago.
I'm sorry about the stroke, I do hope all is going well and your fully recovered.
Glad to have you here, only wish it was for fun.
Lynne

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Jennifer, taking Ultram with your Requip hardly makes you a junkie! A lot of us are taking, gasp, controlled substances. Some of us take more than one of them. Sometimes that what it takes to control the RLS and get some sleep.

I think we should make t-shirts that say "Patients of Deranged Doctors"

LOL

Sorry about your stroke! I hope you're doing well.

Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Ultram can cause hypertension. It does in me, though it's generally limited to about 5 points in both systolic and diastolic.

My wife and I bought an in-home blood pressure machine a while back, and that's come in handy to monitor this. (In fact, it's just plain nice to know your blood pressure in general.) I'm typically about 124 over 84 (strangely consistent, as long as I'm not stressed) and tend to go up to 128-130 over 88-90 after taking about 3/4 of a 50mg Ultram. I'm not thrilled with this, even though it's a fairly small change, but as long as I can monitor it daily, I should be able to catch it if it gets worse.

I wouldn't recommend mixing wine with Ultram. One can intensify the other unpredictably. Plus, alcohol makes RLS worse.

Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.
Last edited by Aiken on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Lots of good things have been said. Just one other thought - he may be deranged, but he may have a bright idea about the iron. BUT, has he given you a ferritin test? Only if it's low (or you are anemic) would iron have a possibility of working. THEN, it only works completely for about 20% of people - but that's 20% who don't need drugs anymore. About 40% get some help, but not enough to make the RLS completely go away, and the remaining 20% get no help at all.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Absolutely without a doubt, if your iron is normal, fight for the treatment you prefer, and that works.

If 1 Ultram and Requip makes you feel like a junkie, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. If you go back and search for most posts authored by me, you'll see what it truly means to have dependence issues with painkillers. That being said I am on Ultram right now because it's the only thing my doc is willing to give me, and despite some side effects it's way better than nothing.

I was actually pretty mad last night. I have no Ultram currently, but I had a small glass of wine, 5mg of melatonin, and 15mg of Oxazepam; it took me FOREVER to get to sleep and my symptoms were barely dented. (the alcohol is not an issue with me, it is more beneficial than negative)

My doc is on vacation until Tuesday (at least I have an appt. that day) and I have pretty much no tramadol. I was looking for a script dated for either today or the weekend (3 days early, which he usually doesn't give a hoot about) but of course I have to deal with his idiot nurse :roll: I couldn't even get a new script for Oxazepam, which I haven't had filled in months.. lol. I'm sure I'll have some smoothing over to do when he get's back too, to convince him I wasn't looking for the meds back ON Tuesday / Wednesday (I can't remember; sad..) when I went in to ask originally.

Anyway, if 1 Ultram does it for you, no doctor no matter what their field has any clout to insinuate you are taking too much, etc.. So don't let those kinds of thoughts enter your head.

Funny note about alcohol.. While it can make your RLS worse, if you drink just the right amount every so often, only, it usually can at least put you to sleep. Whether or not you're twitching around in your sleep I don't know. But I have gone through periods in the past where I would drink myself to sleep. Nothing heavy, maybe a few ounces, up to a standard 8 - 16oz a night at the end of the cycle, between med refills. But I'd be weary of taking prescription meds with any alcohol period.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I used to think I was one of the lucky ones; caffeine and alcohol didn't seem to faze me. Don't know what happend but there shalt be no caffeine after 3:00 pm!! One drink usually doesn't hurt me but more than that will keep me awake walking the floors for hours. You are not a druggie by any means, I love your comment about your deranged doctor and please keep us informed as to how you are. By the way, how did you come up with your by-name "Red-shoes"? Just curious.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Neco

Post by Neco »

BLood soaked from pacing the floor ? heh :P
<--------- Damaged goods

ctravel12

new here some thoughts and questions

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jennifer and welcome to this group. I am so sorry that you had a stroke. I hope that you are doing better now.

As far as your dr being deranged that is a good description. I would definitely find myself another dr one who hopefully knows about rls.

As far as taking ultram, I have never taken that med; however did take requip. Requip did not agree with me; however everyone's body reacts differently to meds. One thing to remember is what works for one may not always for another person.

Read the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" there is an excellent article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm which is definitely worth reading and also print it our and give it your dr.

Another good site to read is www.rlshelp.org

Please let us know how you are doing. You have found a wonderful supportive group. If you just feel like talking, venting or whatever, we are here for you.

Jennifer, have a nice evening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Zach wrote:BLood soaked from pacing the floor ? heh :P
<--------- Damaged goods

:shock:

Zach, you crack me up.

Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

Ssshhh... don't tell anyone I'm funny 8)

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I'm so sorry you suffered a stroke, im hoping the effects are minimal!
Did they happen to say what caused the stroke, like cholesterol or high blood pressure.
Reason i'm asking is before a actual diagnoses of RLS many decades ago i was on Imipramine for sleep. It worked great for years.
Then it wasn't working so well and i added a couple of light beer to get to sleep and my blood pressure went through the roof.

It was the mixing of the beers with the med.

The warnings only said Imipramine could intensify the affects of alcohol.

Then i could no longer take Imipramine cause of the blood pressure.

I take Ultram, you need to know if it raises your blood pressure or not.

Most of the time (in my honest opinion) most of us need a RLS cocktail, more than 1 medicine, something alot of Doc's can't seem to grasp, they want 1 pill to work. Thats usually not the case.

My RLS cocktail is Klonopin-2-3mgs, Ultram 2 at bedtime and 2 if i need it throughout the day. AND a shot of Niquil. all at nite, 2-4 hours before bed.
It is my cocktail, it doesn't mean it's yours but i hope this info helps.

brenda
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

oh and this is important!!

Iron can be dangerous if your levels are ok.
Learned this at my last RLS meeting.

It can damage the liver
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

It can damage the heart as well. If you're taking supplements or injections, you have to monitor the ferritin levels.

Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.
Last edited by Aiken on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacey

Post by Lacey »

Hope and pray everyone is doing well and if you need any support I am here to do just that! I have had RLS for most of my life but it has been serious the past 10 yrs. I am in the first stages of exploring iron infusions and I am tring to find a hemotologist to work with my Dr. which is at Johns Hopkins (I live in WV). The reason for the Fe infusions is because my Ferous Fe is 7 and I am not able to take iron by mouth (it hurts my stomach).
I am also on mirapex and I take 4 tablets and the max is 5. So I am looking for another way to relieve my RLS. Hope the Fe works...
Take care!