Wierd trigger?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sara

Wierd trigger?

Post by Sara »

Hey, Folks--

Having a bout of RLS this evening, and it's a bit stronger than some nights lately. I've been doing okay with it, but having to go to bed early some nights because of the symptoms.

Something odd seems to have either triggered this attack of RLS, or exacerbated it .... and I thought it might be worth mentioning, just in case it might ring a bell with anyone (or, more important, save someone from a similar exacerbation.)

I have a sesitive skin/blistering problem so new shoes are always a mixed blessing. I got new boots for the winter, and although they're the same brand as some I loved last year, these are rubbing uncomfortably. So this evening, when I needed to run outside for firewood and other errands, the last few times I just opted to go out in my wool socks rather than put the boots on.

We have gravel around our house (coarse, 3/4" stuff), and it's newly-laid so it's still pretty bumpy... but I've walked on it in stocking-feet before (just always in the morning or midday.)

Not sure if it's because it was cold, the bumpiness and the number of times I had to walk out there tonight, or the fact that it's "RLS time" of night anyway.... but walking in my socks on that gravel made my RLS symptoms go suddenly through the ROOF the last time I walked out there (about an hour ago.)

My feet are throbbing and almost burning, they feel so irritated. I felt it escalating as soon as I sat down and got off my feet when I came in, so I laid on the couch to see if that would help (sitting's always worst for me) but it didn't, and I'm fully into the RLS cycle for the evening now.

There's nothing in the gravel that would irritate my feet, and I had on such heavy wool socks, they're not even dusty inside. I honestly believe that the texture of the gravel somehow kicked my RLS into high gear.

So word to the wise (or those wiser than me :lol: ), you might want to avoid walking barefoot on bumpy surfaces in the evenings... just in case. I know that I will think twice before I do that again.

Take care everybody. :D

Sara

ViewsAskew

Hmmm

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sara, I guess that's the same thing I notice. Anything the causes specific sensations in my legs will trigger RLS for me. As several people have mentioned before, specific fabrics create a sensation that starts it. Someone else touching my legs in a tickling way will start it. Tight fabric against my legs will start it. I bet others will have similar stories of things touching parts of the legs that cause an RLS episode. For each of us, those things may be different. My partner snuggling his legs next to mine is guaranteed to set them off :cry: . There must be something related to the nerves and what or how they communicate to the brain that does this.

Ann

cornelia

wierd trigger?

Post by cornelia »

I experience the same things as both of you, Sara and Ann, anything that touches my legs/arms can set it off. Not for nothing RLS is called a SENSORI-motor disorder.
Corrie

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Ann and Corrie--

Always interesting to compare notes. This really surprised me, because I have ALWAYS been a barefoot princess. First thing I do when I get in the door is take my shoes off.

And I've always had "tough feet" from walking outside barefoot--- cement, gravel, dirt, through the woods, over rocks, in the sand, up and down streams. Unless it was really hot (sometimes the case here in California) or the woods had really sharp pine needles (like where we live now), it was never a problem. In fact, once I developed the skin problem I mentioned, barefoot was OFTEN much more comfortable than shoes.

(Come to think of it, my mother,who I think also has RLS, has ALSO never been one to wear shoes anytime she could get out of doing so..... I wonder if there's any connection between going barefoot and RLS... either in cause or in effect??? Hmmmm... never thought of that, except that I do want my shoes off when I have an episode. )

But anyway, last night I had to make a half dozen or more trips outside in a matter of a couple of hours, and the last trip, I was standing out there for several minutes AND it had gotten cold. Must have just over-stimulated or over-irritated my poor footies. That's where I have RLS the worst, anyway.

It's better this morning, though I feel it now that I'm sitting up. Last night I just got OFF my feet completely in bed, and slathered my feet with the pH neutralizer Becat uses. Like her, I find that it's no cure, but it does soothe my feet and legs quite a bit when my RLS is bad. Last night it REALLY helped right away to reduce the worst of the irritated feeling and throbbing. And thankfully, I do sleep pretty well, since it's getting horizontal and resting which seems to help my symptoms. I'm worst when I sit up and stay up past my natural bedtime.

Oh, and I was the one who talked before about funny textures like nail files mimicking RLS symptoms. :)

Take care, ladies. And thanks for chiming in. (Ann, not being able to snuggle is so depressing. :( )

Sara

Sara

Post by Sara »

ANN, darn it!!!

I just had the same situation you mentioned the other night with my husband. I was having RLS pretty strong (been tired, so it's been every night this week to some extent or another.) And I think I went to bed a little before him. When he got in, we both snuggled toward the center of the bed and each other, and we were just getting really comfy and sleepy when his big toe brushed mine, with just the corner of his toe nail, and I thought I was going to jump out of my skin!!!! It was just WILD!

I've not noticed that sort of thing before, but WOW it was strong when it happened. Hubby was sleepy enough that he didn't notice, so he didn't think I was cringeing away from HIM. But darn, I'm not looking forward to more of THAT. Yuck!!!

:?

Sara