Bed Solution

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
nephriticus

Bed Solution

Post by nephriticus »

An often lamented topic in this Forum is the annoyance to spouses from the leg kicking and jerking by RLS sufferers.

Due to a minor but aggravating spinal deficit, I must sleep on my back on a rigid surface. My bed consists of the normal box springs and mattress, but with a foam-padded sheet of plywood on top of the mattress. Since my wife must sleep on a soft mattress there exists a bit of disparity. This was resolved by the purchase of two twin beds. I made adjustments so that the upper surfaces are at the same plane. However, the bed(s) are made up as one. The sheets and blankets are king size, and a form fitted bottom sheet fits over both mattresses. From outward appearances it is a normal king size bed.

This produced a collateral benefit when I acquired RLS since my movements are less intrusive to my wife's sleep than if we had a single mattress. For those whose leg movements are more intense, the solution might be to have twin beds made up with separate sheets and blankets, with a slight separation between the beds. There would be sufficient proximity for conjugal visits. :wink: A king-size bedspread would solve the ethetic appearance of the set up.

Maybe not the perfect solution but, hey, it ain't a perfect world.
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

bradyferguson

Post by bradyferguson »

bye
Last edited by bradyferguson on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, Neph, GREAT idea! In our motorhome, we sleep on just plywood and an "advanced" eggcrate because the mattresses in there were so soft, they bothered us both. I actually find it quite comfy.

Brady, honey, if you had a dog as big as ours, you'd understand.... the dog spreads out across BOTH beds! :lol: My husband was cracking up the other day because ours got up to cuddle on the couch with me and then pushed with his feet until I was practically in my husband's LAP! (No one complained, of course! ) :wink:

Take care! Sara :D