Shoes

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Walking After Midnight

Shoes

Post by Walking After Midnight »

My workboots are killing me. I mean literally. My feet hurt so bad that if I'm walking by someone and they want me to stop and talk I can't hardly do it cause all I think about are my feet. I've had my feet checked out by an orthopedic Dr. and he says the structure of my feet are not bad enough to cause all this misery.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a workboot or even a shoe that is very supportive without being stiff and heavy and HELL to wear?

I've always worn boots, even when I'm not at work. Either lace ups or pull ons, railroad boots or square toed, or those tan work boots, or black kinda biker looking boots but I'll tell you, as my RLS gets worse and worse I'm looking for comfort and I'm noticing my boots seem to escalate, or even bring on RLS Sensations. I like the ankle support of a boot and they've always felt better. Plus, my Dad always wore boots and I guess I just think you're supposed to wear boots. I don't know. Anyway, I prefer them.

We have to wear steel toed and metatarsal boots at work. The kind with protection all the way up the top of the boot from your toe to your ankle. It's getting harder and harder. I mean I'm on Lyrica for RLS/Foot pain and then I gotta shove my foot into one of those things. They're all stiff and unforgiving and they weigh 50 lbs each.

So after work, I find I'm slipping into (God forbid) tennis shoes.

Also. Anyone find that ceramic tile and cement are really hard on barefeet even if it's only for a short time? It seems like the cold from them actually goes into my feet and won't leave.

Please...somebody...turn me onto some good shoes or boots.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

You sound miserable,
what sort of discomfort are you having?
overall pain,burning?
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

chefws

Post by chefws »

Good luck.
As my nick suggests, I'm a chef, and I'm on my feet all day long. If my feet are hot, even if I'm standing, the rls kicks in. As soon as I get to my car, I take off my shoes. I have terrible foot pain all the time. I can't wear steel toes boots at all. (I also do some construction as well, so I have some experience with work boots) The best work boot for my is made by Timberland. They are expensive, but I have the same pair for about 8 years, I can still wear them, but foot pain sets in now much quicker than when I first bought them.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

the type of pain is really important.
burning like someone is holding a match under could be neuropathy OR just the wrong shoes.
I can't wear Reebock at all.
Brenda

D4

Post by D4 »

Have you tried any over the counter orthotics or custom-made orthotics?

Walking After Midnight

Just pain. I'm not lying to you when I say I've been riding around in the truck at work the last couple days moaning because my feet and legs hurt so bad. It is OWNING me and kicking my rear end.

Pain in the balls of my feet and pain in the arch mostly. BUT, I also have burning pain in the top of my foot and in my toes. My Neuro, and an Orthopedic doc did tests for Neuropathy and everything was negative. I guess that's good but they hurt...HURT.

Chef...I've heard Timberland is a good boot too. I will look for them the next time I get work boots, at least try them on to see how they feel although it's so hard to tell anything about a shoe just from trying a brand new stiff shiny hard shoe on, especially when half of it is made from steel and plastic.

D4...no I've never even heard of orthotics but will look into them.

Thanks everybody.

My Neurologist increased the dosage of Lyrica to 450 mg a day...just today when I saw him. I hope it helps.

In the meantime, thanks for the info. Anybody even found an insert that works pretty well? I mean over the counter...gel or air or cushion or..............................?

becat

Post by becat »

Hey Randy,
I have that feeling/PAIN too and it feels like my feet are just broke. Like all the little bones are just not connected. I think it's just an part of my Morphed RLS. Broke Feet Feeling is the worst.

I have also wondered if I'm flexing so much at night and it feels good to bend my toes backwards to stretch my calf muscles....I wonder if I lock them that way in the covers and that is why I'm sore in the mornings.
I do know if I wake up that way, it's going to be a big RLS day.

The burning is better with the magnesium I take, but there are days no shoes feel worthy and even without shoes it hurts.

I have gone to freezing my feet at night, love my slate walkway in the backyard for that.

Shoes, well I often wear moccasins, so I can't with the shoe thing. I doubt you would like them at work... :D As far as tennis shoes go, I found a brand my feeties like...Diesels. They are light, no massive form inside, but a sturdy sole. They breathe and don't squeeze my feet.

Hugs and comfy feet to you.
Lynne

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I know Red Wing shoes have a variety of work shoes,steel toes etc.
They also have the steel toed sneakers.

Also try 2 pairs of Dr Scholls shoe inserts. I used 2 and they seems to help alot.The white ones.

Alot of time it's the type of shoe for me.
I was never able to wear nursemates and was the 1st to wear tennis shoes 35 years ago..Alot of money wasted there.

I have to have hard leather too, not the soft fabric, thats why i can't wear Reebocks.

Podiatry where i worked told me shoes that don't have air holes can cause burning too. He said do it yourself if you have to.

Maybe try some of these ideas and take your old shoes also, and switch back and forth on a day off, that way you can take them back.

I hope this helps.

Brenda
Brenda

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

becat wrote:Hey Randy,

I have gone to freezing my feet at night, love my slate walkway in the backyard for that.

Lynne

oh me too lynne! The best thing for quick relief of the burning is to walk on cold concrete!
Brenda

Walking After Midnight

I have places in my lower level that don't have carpet and it kills me.

As a matter of fact, I'm typing this in the computer room which I built a few years back. It's totally finished except for the floor which is still bare concrete. My feet are on a piece or 3/4 inch, polyurathaned wood which I keep under the desk. Otherwise, feet get cold and stay cold. The cold goes into my feet and I have to lay in bed for an hour before they warm up.

But, I know what you mean about burning feet. Usually once they warm up, I stick them out of the covers. Which is how I always sleep with my feet sticking out the covers.

Stupid feet.

I saw something on TV one time about these people who have Amputee envy. It's a weird condition...but it's true. Sometimes I know how they feel. JUST CUT IT OFF! (Then I'd probably have phantom RLS)

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

there are meds out there that they use on amputee's for phantom pain.
It stops the signals from the feet to the brain.

You need to know why though!!

AND to talk to your Dr. -soon
Brenda

doety

poor feet

Post by doety »

since they have to carry your whole body,there's just nothing worse than having your feet go on strike.
Even if you have to wear those heavy duty ones at work, give yourelf a break with some really good shoes in the off times.
My daughter pointed out to me that I was wearing shoes without good support --so now I get Merrills, or a shoe that lets my feet breathe, but is fairly light and has support.
And I would say don't go barefooted, as good as that feels. I'll bet your feet are so tender and you need to protect them.
And who can you call on to give you a foot massage every night?
A poor substitute is to play with a tennis ball on the bottom of your foot when you're standing up and watching TV

Walking After Midnight

doety...where can I get these "Merrills"? I've Never heard of them.

Thank you for passing on what you know. As far as the "good support" that's what I like about my lace up boots. They support my feet and ankles...but they're not that comfortable after wearing them all day.

As far as the foot massage...well...I bet my wife would do it if I asked her but I don't think I'd feel right asking her. That's something someone has to volunteer to do...don't you think?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

WAM, of course you can ask your wife for a foot massage! And she can say no. :lol: I would actually make a deal with her - you rub my feet and I'll rub yours. Just make sure your feet are clean. There's nothing worse than when my husband pushes his stinky feet my way and want them rubbed. Eewww.

Have you ever heard of the Good Feet Store or Foot EFX? Those are stores that sell pre-made orthotics for shoes. They take a footprint, and can tell if you have flat feet or have problems with the feet rolling to one side or the other. Then they fit you with an orthotic that you just put in your own shoes or boots. They're pricey - It seems like the least expensive ones are over $100.

I can't live without mine. My best pair lives in my walking shoes. They help my feet, my knees, and my back.

Susan

doety

Just ask

Post by doety »

I totally agree. We have to ask for what we want and need. Swapping a foot massage is a great way to get closer and will help with the pain. Buy some nice cream or oil, wash those feet and pop the question.
Some of us have talked on the "relationship" thread about how hard it is sometimes to tell those we love about RLS. We need to do it a lot, give them things to read, just generally push until they understand it the way we need for them to.
My dh and I took a "couple's massage" class a few weeks ago; it was nice, although we were the oldest in the room and we had to get down on the floor. I also bought one of those huge vibrators and often ask my dh to use it on my back - that way, if he's tired, he doesn't have to work so hard. That might feel good on your feet, too.
People schooled in the healing arts will tell you that so much of what goes on in your body starts in your feet.
(Merrills are just a good shoes with support, I think maybe only women's shoe. The Walking Store is a good place to buy sturdy and supportive shoes.)