Published Research - General Sleep and RLS (WED)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS/WED sections.
ViewsAskew

Re: Published Research - General Sleep and RLS (WED)

Postby ViewsAskew » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:39 am

More about adenosine. It is not a study, but an editorial and it doesn't come out until May.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 040319.php
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Napping is Good

Postby badnights » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 am

As we all knew .... https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article/ ... 18/5306230. The paper is free.

Statement of Significance
"While many studies indicate that napping is beneficial to cognition, it remains unclear whether the nap itself leads to cognitive improvement, or if the same benefits are achievable by simply getting more nocturnal sleep instead. Here we show that splitting sleep between a nocturnal period and a daytime nap improves hippocampal-dependent cognitive function under conditions of chronic sleep restriction, even when total time available for sleep is controlled. In the absence of adequate nocturnal sleep, a split sleep schedule may optimize cognition"

Abstract
Study Objectives
Chronic sleep restriction in adolescents is widespread, yet we know little about how to apportion the limited amount of sleep obtained to minimize cognitive impairment: should sleep occur only nocturnally, or be split across separate nocturnal and daytime nap periods? This is particularly relevant to hippocampal-dependent cognitive functions that underpin several aspects of learning.

Results
Performance of the 5.0h and 6.5h nocturnal TIB groups was significantly impaired relative to the 9.0h control group. Performance of participants on the split- sleep schedule (5.0 + 1.5h) did not significantly differ from controls.

Conclusions
These findings suggest that hippocampal function is sensitive to moderate multi-night sleep restriction, but deficits can be ameliorated by splitting sleep, at least for a period after waking from a daytime nap. While this split sleep schedule should not be considered a replacement for adequate nocturnal sleep, it appears to benefit the cognitive and neurophysiological functions that underpin learning in those who are chronically sleep deprived.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Adenosine - Ferre

Postby badnights » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:41 am

More about adenosine. It is not a study, but an editorial and it doesn't come out until May.
The editorial (available via a link on the linked page) is written by Ferre and seems to concern the research that was reported in his 2017 paper. But I'm actually too tired to read the editorial. Anyone want to confirm that? I still want to read it, cuz I expect it to be a good summary of the paper.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:05 pm

The editorial (available via a link on the linked page) is written by Ferre and seems to concern the research that was reported in his 2017 paper.

badnights, your assumption is correct. The editorial is more understandable than Ferre's original paper, probably because it was written by the journal editor and not Ferre himself.
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Postby stjohnh » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Rustsmith wrote:
The editorial (available via a link on the linked page) is written by Ferre and seems to concern the research that was reported in his 2017 paper.

badnights, your assumption is correct. The editorial is more understandable than Ferre's original paper, probably because it was written by the journal editor and not Ferre himself.

I think someone is confused, possibly me LOL... The original link https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-04/mali-iat040319.php several posts above is to an editorial (by the editors) published in Eureka Alerts regarding another editorial by Ferre (in the Journal of Caffeine and Adenosine Research, not the original paper). Ferre's editorial is at https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/caff.2019.0001. Note that this link is free until May 3, 2019. Presumably the link won't work after that, so if you are interested, better do it before May 3.

The editor's editorial is indeed very understandable. Ferre's editorial is still pretty dense, but is indeed more understandable than the original paper. It is shorter and Ferre hypothesizes more in it than in the original paper.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Postby ViewsAskew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:40 pm

Interesting:

https://www.psychcongress.com/article/m ... p-behavior
A few paragraphs from the article:
By Will Boggs MD

NEW YORK—Nearly four dozen genetic variants appear to be related to sleep quality, quantity, and timing, according to a new genetic study of accelerometer-based sleep measures.

They identified 47 genetic variants associated with seven sleep traits: sleep duration, sleep efficiency, the number of sleep episodes, diurnal inactivity, sleep midpoint, timing of the least-active five hours and timing of the most-active 10 hours.

Most variants were associated with either sleep quality, duration, or timing, but not combinations of these sleep characteristics. Twenty variants were associated with restless legs syndrome, and these variants showed a clear positive association of restless legs syndrome with all sleep traits.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Evidence of the function of sleep

Postby badnights » Sat May 04, 2019 2:25 am

Is this really the first clear indication of the physiological function of sleep? It's the first I've seen but that doesn't mean a lot. They propose - based on what they observed in transparent zebrafish - that sleep is when our cells clean up the damage to DNA that accumulates during wakefulness. It doesn't seem at all surprising.

Sleep increases chromosome dynamics that clear out DNA damage accumulated during waking hours

Date: March 5, 2019 Source: Bar-Ilan University

… The reason why animals sleep -- despite the continuous threat of predators -- still remains a mystery, and is considered among the biggest unanswered questions in life sciences.

Using 3D time-lapse imaging techniques in live zebrafish, the researchers were able to … show, for the first time, that single neurons require sleep in order to perform nuclear maintenance.

DNA damage can be caused by many processes including radiation, oxidative stress, and even neuronal activity. DNA repair systems within each cell correct this damage. The current work shows that during wakefulness, when chromosome dynamics are low, DNA damage consistently accumulates and can reach unsafe levels.

[They] propose that the restorative function of sleep is nuclear maintenance. "We've found a causal link between sleep, chromosome dynamics, neuronal activity, and DNA damage and repair with direct physiological relevance to the entire organism," says Prof. Appelbaum. "Sleep gives an opportunity to reduce DNA damage accumulated in the brain during wakefulness."

"Despite the risk of reduced awareness to the environment, animals -- ranging from jellyfish to zebrafish to humans -- have to sleep to allow their neurons to perform efficient DNA maintenance, and this is possibly the reason why sleep has evolved and is so conserved in the animal kingdom," concludes Prof. Appelbaum.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190305170106.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine%2Fsleep_disorders+%28Sleep+Disorders+Research+News+--+ScienceDaily%29

Rustsmith

Research on SIBO and RLS

Postby Rustsmith » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:33 pm

This link goes to a preliminary research finding at Stanford Sleep Center that is starting to look at the relationship between SIBO (gut bacteria overgrowth) and RLS. So far, they only are reporting on seven individuals, but it indicates that recruiting of more test subjects is continuing.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-06-high-rare-gut-bacteria-linked.html
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

ViewsAskew

Re: Research on SIBO and RLS

Postby ViewsAskew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Rustsmith wrote:This link goes to a preliminary research finding at Stanford Sleep Center that is starting to look at the relationship between SIBO (gut bacteria overgrowth) and RLS. So far, they only are reporting on seven individuals, but it indicates that recruiting of more test subjects is continuing.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-06-high-rare-gut-bacteria-linked.html

This is very interesting particularly given Beth's experiences.

Managing Your RLS

Return to “General Topics: RLS/WED”