Published Research - General Sleep and RLS (WED)

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Ropinerole successfully 3D printed!!!

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Patent app for Cannabinoids

Post by ViewsAskew »

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Small study; larger studies needed

Post by ViewsAskew »

Dover Press - not known for rigorous research. But, here it is:

Electrophysiological findings of Turkish patients with restless legs syndrome

Accepted for publication 13 March 2017

Published 27 July 2017 Volume 2017:13 Pages 2005—2010

DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S132903

1Neurology Department, Uşak Medical Park Hospital, Uşak, 2Neurology Department, Medical Faculty, Süleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey

Abstract: We aimed to investigate changes in electrophysiological findings in Turkish patients with restless legs syndrome (RLS), including F-wave latency (FWL), peripheral silent period (PSP), and Hoffmann reflex. The study took place in a university hospital in Turkey and involved 30 newly diagnosed RLS patients and 30 healthy controls who were matched for age and gender. Participant’s demographics (age, gender, weight, and height), laboratory findings, and electrophysiological test outcomes were gathered and analyzed. There was no significant difference in the FWL of the median and ulnar nerves, whereas the H-wave maximum amplitude and H/M ratio were significantly higher in the RLS patients than in the controls at rest. All of the PSP parameters were similar between patients and controls for the abductor pollicis brevis and gastrocnemius muscles. However, for the tibialis anterior muscle, all the PSP duration parameters were shorter in the RLS patients, whereas the PSP latency parameters were similar. The data suggest that there may be a reduction in spinal segmental inhibition at the L4–L5–S1 level, but the mechanisms of inhibition at the L4–L5 and S1 levels may be different; furthermore, there may be no pathology in the peripheral nerves. Further prospective studies with larger cohorts are now needed to evaluate the pathophysiology of RLS with different neurophysiological assessment tools.

Keywords: restless legs syndrome, F wave, peripheral silent period, Hoffmann reflex

Managing Your RLS

stjohnh

Fewer RLS symptoms with a Life Purpose

Post by stjohnh »

This is the first paragraph of this popularized version of a scientific article.

Older adults who have a purpose in life are more likely to have fewer sleep disturbances such as sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome - and sleep better over a long period of time.

One thing I find interesting is that this article has two major outcomes measurement, RLS symptoms and sleep apnea. This is giving me hope that RLS is becoming more widely recognized among the general population as a sleep problem.

Here is the popularized summary
http://news360.com/article/412849411

Here is the original article:
https://sleep.biomedcentral.com/article ... 017-0015-6
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

New Genes Linked to Restless Legs Syndrome

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have seen this from several sources in the last week:
https://health.usnews.com/health-care/a ... s-syndrome

From the opening of the article:

"A new study involving roughly 46,000 people with restless legs syndrome turned up 13 new gene variants that appear to raise the risk for the condition, which affects up to 10 percent of the U.S. and European populations.

"We were able to identify a total of 19 risk-associated genetic variants, of which 13 are new.'"

Managing Your RLS

Rustsmith

Re: Published Research - General Sleep and RLS (WED)

Post by Rustsmith »

Here is a link to the paper described above that appeared in Lancet this month.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2217303277

There are a couple of conclusions that are not of any surprise. There were correlations between RLS and depression, ferritin levels and sleep problems. A bit of a surprise to me was a correlation with ALS. But even the authors mentions a surprise of a correlation of RLS with education levels that was about as strong as the correlation with ferritin levels. Unfortunately, one of the strongest correlations was between RLS and neuroticism. But I guess that it shouldn't be a surprise since most of us are sleep deprived, so of course we are moody, anxious, frustrated and depressed.

Finally, the paper suggests a possible new medication for the treatment of RLS. Thalidomide was suggested as a possible treatment (in those who cannot become pregnant) based upon its assocation with several of the specific genes that were identified.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

WOW! never thought I would see that recommended! Many affected cannot get pregnant any longer, I suppose.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I looked up the drug. I don't think I will try it. I don't like the heart related side affects, plus the blood disorders and anemia.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Thalidomide was prescribed to relieve morning sickness for a while in the late 50's until 1961. It was offered to my mother, who is an obstinate person and doesn't believe in pills of any sort. She refused. I am forever grateful because it was shortly thereafter linked to severe birth defects in the children born to mothers who took it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It was such a horrible time for moms and dads.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

It was horrible, I remember. When I was pregnant, I didn't take a Tylenol. I was like your Mother, Beth. Even after the delivery, which was a c-section, I woke up feeling funny and I asked them what had they given me. They told me morphine, and I said, no more. I didn't take any pain meds after that. It was the 70's.

badnights

Post by badnights »

People just don't know. Your instincts and my mother's were bang-on.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sadly, vitamin D is not a therapy that works on its own...

https://www.healio.com/family-medicine/ ... s-syndrome

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Well, there are two studies on this that I know of now (probably more, since I don't keep up). The other one found a correlation between low vitamin D and RLS severity. This one finds that raising serum levels of vitamin D did not improve WED symptoms, but they admit that the dose might have been too small (at least, I think that's what he's saying here):

Our findings might be different than earlier studies because the brain level of vitamin D is more valuable than the serum one in the pathophysiology of the disease. Accordingly, the increment of vitamin D in our study may not be efficient enough to adjust the brain level or improve the central effects of vitamin D, which would then fix the dopaminergic system dysfunction,” he said.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Anyone have access to this? I used to have access to Wiley, but no longer. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 27264/full

Managing Your RLS