"When Brain Shuts Down, Legs Kick into Overdrive"

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Kimberly

"When Brain Shuts Down, Legs Kick into Overdrive"

Post by Kimberly »

NPR...getting the word out!

"Morning Edition, March 29, 2007 · It's maddening to have a feeling that you can't explain. When I was a kid on long car rides, I would sometimes experience a strange sensation in my legs. I felt like I had to move my legs. When I did, the feeling would go away for a few seconds but then come back.

It struck at the worst times — my legs kept me awake when I was tired and needed to sleep. As an adult, the feeling periodically comes back to haunt me, during a slow movie, on airplane rides, or having a late drink at a bar, or just around bedtime. Always when my brain is half-disengaged."........

(article continues)

and there is also an audio interview you can listen to.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... s-20070420

I particularly like the part about RLS kicking in when the brain is half-disengaged, as my home remedy, contrary to the doctor's recommendations for proper 'sleep hygiene', which trigger the onset of symptoms, has always been just the opposite, to 'engage' the brain in some sort of activity that requires my complete attention, thus alleviating symptoms. Doctor's just don't get it. Sleep studies are absolute torture...in bed, no tv and lights out by 10pm...LOL, sure, no problem ;)

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Great article,

Earley is my RLS Dr!

Anyway i also like the "bouquet" of meds,
seems like in the end it does require a bouquet or cocktail.

thanks for sharing.

brenda
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Sleep studies are absolute torture...in bed, no tv and lights out by 10pm...LOL, sure, no problem Wink

LOL! At least the place where I did my sleep study had a TV, and I could tell them when I wanted the lights out.

But when I woke up kicking at 1am or so, and proceeded to work on Sudoku puzzles for about an hour, they were getting a little ticked at me. :roll:

Oh well, the biggest thing my sleep study showed was how well the Requip was working for me - Like, not at all!!! And it kept my head stuffed up so badly that I couldn't breathe for the first part of the night, making it look like I had apnea. I slept a lot better once it wore off.

Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I loved it when I heard this a couple weeks ago. And Dr Rye is such a wonderful guy...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

The only real complaint i had during my 1st study was i will jump out of bed after a hour of sleep. I NEED to know what time it is and they don't allow clocks so i bought my own the 2nd go round.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda