Iron Supplement

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
kawbuffalo

Iron Supplement

Post by kawbuffalo »

Although I am new to the discussion board, I have had RLS since my teens and I am 57. Because my ferritin level is low it was suggested that I try iron supplements which I am. I do appreciate that if ones iron levels are low, iron supplements would increase ferritin. However my hematocrit and hemoglobin are normal to high and I don't understand the mechanism of overloading the system with iron resulting in increased ferritin. Note that I actually don't know that my ferritin has increased. I am supposed to have another blood test in a month. Any insight would be appreciated.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The hematocrit is a measure of the percentage of red blood cells in your blood. The hemoglobin is directly related to that percent. It's a measure of how much iron is in your red blood cells.

Ferritin is a different thing entirely. Measuring the ferritin level is measuring how much iron you have stored in your body. It's the backup source for the iron in your blood.

You can have very little ferritin, and not be anemic. But eventually, if you don't replace the iron stores, it will affect the blood, and you will become anemic. By the time you get anemic, you have no ferritin left.

I hope that makes sense.

Susan

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

And to add to Susan,

RLS doc's blood values aren't the same as most other doctors,at least thats what Dr Earley said. He didn't want to hear my iron was ok, he wanted things the promary never even ordered.

And understand if all of your levels are normal to a RLS doc's standards I was told a multi vitamin with iron was fine each day.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

RLSis a weird disease. The ferritin, as Susan said, is how much iron we have stored - not how much is in our blood. RLS is somehow related to both iron stores and iron availability/uptake in the brain. Some studies seem to suggest that we have a lessened ability to uptake iron in the substantia nigra - this affects how well the cells work (they don't work as well) at other tasks.

Many of us are low in ferritin. When the ferritin is increased to a level of 50 or so, some of us experience a reduction in symptoms. Some complete remission, others a reduction, and yet others, no change. It takes months to increase ferritin, however, so it should be checked every 3 months.

On this topic, I've always hated taking the iron supplements. Since I'm taking opioids the combo of the two on my gut is not a happy thing. So, yesterday I bought a European formula called Herbal IRon. It was similar to Floradix, but less expensive. It's certainly easier to take (a reasonably good tasting liquid). I'll update later as to how it affects my gut. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I take an iron supplement that was designed for the sensitive stomaches of pregnant women - It's called Niferex Forte, and has 150 mg. of iron per capsule. I wish I would have known about it when I WAS pregnant, because I couldn't get any iron in at all and I got very anemic.

This stuff doesn't bother my guts in the least. (And I've tried about every form of iron out there.) It's pricey, but it's high potency. I take it with a yummy GNC vitamin C soft chew.

And for the constipation from the opioids - the best thing I've found is the new Fiber One cereal bars. One or 2 of those a day, and it keeps me going. :?

Susan