Any help with arthritis?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
doety

Any help with arthritis?

Post by doety »

First: does anyone know of a good arthritis discussion board like the one we have here? Somehow RLS and arthritis weave together to make my life miserable. I can't get anyone to say it, but it seems to be intertwined to me. I've been looking at boards on the INternet and can't find anything that comes close to this one -- so supportive, such good info, great people.

My arthritis started when I went through menopause -- and that was the same time the RLS peaked. I won't even describe the summer from hell before I forced a doc to give me hormone replacement therapy. Yes, I know it's bad, but we didn't know it then and I was desperate. But I've always wondered if the two conditions were related. I've since had two hip replacements. I have it in my joints and in my back. As soon as I have arthritis pain, I get RLS.

Right now, I'm having severe pain from my hip down my right leg. A wonderful doc kept me for two hours, did x-rays, talked to my orthopod and never could come up with a clue.

I'm in that cycle I'm sure many of you understand. I used to be an athlete and was skinny... skiied, biked, danced, etd. Then I got this unexplained pain that no doc could diagnose and find out a year later it's arthritis and i need a hip replacement. In the meantime I had gained weight because I was afraid to exercise. So now I try to get "moderate, daily" exercise, the RX for both problems, but it's not enough to lose weight. I stay up at night from the combo of problems and eat because I feel sorry for myself and keep thinking something will make me feel better. And I gain weight, which make everything worse.

Yikes -- obviously I need to talk to others about it, but can't seem to locate any good discussion groups. They have to be out there -- don't most people start getting OA as they get older?

Any help? I'm really falling apart, can't afford to get depressed since we can't take anti-depressants and the counselor we're been seeing is moving..just hate that.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Doety, check out the discussion board at www.butyoudontlooksick.com

They have discussion topics for just about everything (except RLS so far), including arthritis. They also have topics for just about everything to do with living with chronic illnesses - meds and side effects, friends, family, parenting, work... They're very friendly and supportive.

I don't have arthritis, but I do have some bad knee damage that gets inflamed. My pain doctor put me on Celebrex and just love that drug. Instead of eating a bowlful of Advils every morning, noon, and evening, I just take one pill a day. And I can walk a couple miles a day, mostly without pain.

Well, my Ativan is kicking in, and I'm going to try to sleep.

G'night.

Susan

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

doety
I too have arther all over. The bone scan showed from my jaws to my metatarsals and my toes.

I have a couple of tricks, put a king size pillow folded in half between your knees to your ankles. If i don't keep this up i can't walk.
This i learned during my years in physical med and rehab.

We had alot of hip and knee replacements.
You get used to it. A memory foam pillow also works.

I can't take the arther meds out there,i vomit and get dirrahea.

I take Gluscomine Chondroitin triple strength 2-3 a day.
I get Spring Valley from Walmart.

Your pain going down your leg "sounds" like sciatica. I believe if you take care of your joints like i advised above it will eventually subside.

good luck

brenda
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

doety

no groups yet

Post by doety »

I wil try the pillow. Glucosamine doesn't work for me.
Susan, the "butyoudontlook" is the most promising of those I've seen, but nobody is using it. What it lacks are the moderators we have -- people who are fellow sufferers and who watch the board closely. I'll watch it to see if it develops into anything (and thanks).

tonight, I thought I would jump out the window. I had RLS in my arms and shoulders. Then I realized I had been working out with weights. Anytime I do something new, my body seems to have one response: RLS.

Anyway, if anyone sees a group on line that looks promising, please let me know.

And a little note of optimism: I went for an annual eye exam and the doc said my eyes were getting a little better, less near-sighted!! I'm so used to people saying well this is worse and this is bad, boy that was really fun to have him say that.

doety

found something

Post by doety »

Okay...this is for anyone who might have been following this thread.
I think I finally found a place that I think is helpful, they have moderators like these boards and there seems to be a sense of community.

It's:
http://www.healingwell.com/community/

One of the first posts I read on there was about a woman with arthritis who was going to ride her Harley for a week, she was scared, but people got on the board and were so encouraging and we're all waiting to see how she does. One woman mentioned that adrendaline is one of the best drugs going for pain and I think she's right. I think I've been in a rut and need to be a heck of a lot more active.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for posting that link, Doety. It looks like a good forum. The people in the "chronic pain" forum were a bit testy, but the Ulcerative Colitis forum looks interesting - my daughter had that.

Susan

Pairodocs

arthritis

Post by Pairodocs »

There is a yahoo group, Happy Hobblers, that deals with Osteoarthritis. I've just joined it so can't tell you how informative it is yet, but they are very supportive.
I can sympathize, I've had rls since childhood, and since I've turned 50 I've discovered severe arthritis in my hip (had hip replacement in arthritis) but also have severe advance in my back (4 collapsed discs), in early stages in both knees, in my neck and probably in my hands. I'm debating whether to go to a rheumatologist instead of different orthopedists for each joint.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

You have to give the glucosomine at least 7-14 days in the beginning.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda