Peri neuropathy

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
mowenlind

Peri neuropathy

Post by mowenlind »

After an EMG I was told I have the above. Now here is my question...
Does RLS cause this or vice-versa?
Also, what about disability? Is this (RLS) recognized by social security as a legitimate disability?
One more somewhat touchy question. Can RLS cause you to have the same discomfort, pain, etc., in your hips, rear and anus as in your legs and arms?
Thanks for any and all responses and help. You are all a God-send.
Mowenlind

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I don't think anyone has shown RLS itself to *cause* peripheral neuropathies. However, I myself just found out that some of the factors that likely triggered my RLS a few years back may also have caused me to develop some neuropathies just recently.

I take proton pump inhibitors to control full-bore chronic reflux. They reduce my stomach acid nearly to nil in order to avoid corrosion of my esophagus. This lack of acid has a known inhibiting effect on absorption of B12 and it's also thought it can inhibit the absorption of iron salts.

My own RLS came on about three years ago while I was overweight and was using a double PPI dose to address the extra reflux caused by the extra weight. I may thereby have been inhibiting my absorption of iron to the point that my ferritin supply dropped below the threshold that allows latent RLS to become overt RLS. Low ferritin is considered an exacerbating factor in RLS, though it's not the only factor.

Recently, for an unrelated reason, I had gone back to a doubled PPI dose again. Not long after, I developed symptoms of peripheral neuropathy--icy tingling in my hands and feet, then forearms and calves. It turns out that my B12 levels had dropped below the acceptable range. I've since gone back to the regular PPI dose and also supplemented my B12 with a sublingual spray, and I now seem to be getting some relief from the neuropathies.

What I'm getting at here is basically that *I* have experienced low B12 and low ferritin, both coincidental with increasing proton pump inhibitor doses. So, in *my* case, the neuropathies and RLS may have had a common cause, though they aren't technically related to each other. Howver, there are many ways to get neuropathies and RLS, and even if you have the same deficiencies I had, there are also many ways to become deficient that are totally different from mine. It's something you may want to pursue, though it may not pan out in the end or may lead you to a different cause.

And yes, RLS can be anywhere in your body. Arms, legs, shoulders, chest, genitalia, face... I've even had it in my right eye. It's an unfortunately-named syndrome.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Is that spelling right? Is it Polyneuropathy? That i have.
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

Neco

Post by Neco »

I was of the opinion that while many of the symptoms can be the same and can be alleviated by the same medications, that RLS and any kind of neuropathy are two completely different things.. Am I wrong?

Just seems that when I think of neuropathy, I think of actual nerve damage.. Which I don't think I've ever seen associated with RLS as some sort of causative factory

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I don't think you can get RLS from Neuropathy but i think a underlying cause could.
I don't think mine is from RLS though i can see where maybe a low iron or kidney disease may present with the symptoms of RLS,
just thinking out loud
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Zach, I think you are right. Neuropathy has many causes -diabetes, etc. - but is nerve damage. RLS does not cause nerve damage, though you can have both neuropathy and RLS at the same time.

Yes, you can have the sensations and/or pain from RLS in most parts of the body, though the legs are the most common, followed by arms. Some of RLSers have pain, many do not, there is no clue as to how this is related.

There are some who have gotten a disability for RLS, but many more who have been denied. Search on old posts and you'll find a bit of information, including from some who have received disability status.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.