Nerve Conduction Study

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
debkenny

Post by debkenny »

Well, I saw my doctor yesterday, and he's convinced me that this is worth a shot. Even though he's 99% sure it is just RLS, he said there is a chance I could have some underlaying nerve damage that is causing the problem.

Anyway, I've decided to quit being a chickensh*t and have it done. However, I'm waiting until I get back from vacation to do it, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can let you all know how it went.

I've been using the RLS oil for close to four months now with great success. But it is now allergy season, and it doesn't seem to be working very well whenever I have to take my allergy meds. We're going to try playing around with those when I get back, also. If anyone knows of any allergy meds in the same class as hydroxyzine that do not exasperate the RLS, please let me know. In the meantime, I once again have scripts for Requip and Klonipin just in case. I hate the thought of having to go back on them, but even worse would be a vacation without any sleep! So I'm taking them with me, but hoping against hope that I won't need them.
Wish me luck! I'll let you know how things go when I get back.

Deb
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Different things work for different people. Raining on everyone's parade doesn't work for anyone!

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Deb,

I take Allegra with no effect on my RLS.

Have fun on your vacation!!

Rachel

cooper713

Post by cooper713 »

I had an EMG & a needle test - nothing too unbearable. Just uncomfortable for a few minutes. I guess maybe I have a high tolerance for pain since I broke my knee cap 3 years ago!
You should have it done just to make sure everything is OK. Good luck!

ray

Post by ray »

Hey Debs, No stresses. I had one done yesterday. They take a marker and measuring tape and draw some points on your legs and do the electrical signal part. Just a mild to medium shock on different parts of the leg to get it to move and to test the path of the nerves, and then a needle (mine was connected to a microphone) in different spots on the legs, one on the upper buttocks. The needle was no where near as bad as having a regular shot or having blood drawn. All in all not even close to as bad as I made it out to be in my head!

Have a great vacation,

Cheers,

Ray

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

Had it done about a year ago...anticipation was a lot worse than the actual event. No biggie...Good luck...Pat

ctravel12

nerve conduction study

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Deb I am glad that you are going to have the procedure done. It seems like your dr is willing to work with you which is definitely a plus.

Have a great vacation and I agree with you and hope that you do not have to take the meds but you are smart to take them just in case. you certainly do not want to ruin your vaction.

Have a safe trip and let us know when you get back.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

debkenny

Post by debkenny »

Well, I'm back from vacation, but have yet to schedule the Nerve Conduction Study. My mom has been in and out of the hospital since I returned. She has NASH (which is a non-alcoholic form of cirrhosis of the liver) and has been having some major problems. I also have a son with Tourette Syndrome/ADD/OCD and have been back and forth to the doctor with him. Sometimes I just get so tired of sitting in doctor's offices and hospitals with everyone else that I tend to put myself on the backburner, and right now is just one of those times. On top of that, my doctor does want me to have the deep tissue NCS, which scares the hell out of me after reading about it. However, I have three degenerated discs in my back which he feels could be causing some of the problem, so I can't disagree with his reasoning. Just have to get the nerve up to get it scheduled. He's not very happy with my procrastination! I'm just so sick and tired of spending all of my time at hospitals and doctors, and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!! :cry:
Don't knock it till you've tried it. Different things work for different people. Raining on everyone's parade doesn't work for anyone!

ctravel12

nerve conduction study

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Deb welcome back from your vacation. I am sorry to hear about your mom and your son and hope they both get better soon. I know that you are concerned about your mom and your son which I can certainly understand that, but please take care of yourself too. That is so important.

Reason for saying that is that my hubby had open heart surgery (triple bypass) on the 5th of June and I had to make sure that I was ok so I could take care of him and so everything is doing fine with myself and hubby. Of course, hubby has a long road to recovery but know he will be fine as I am doing good too.

Please keep us posted on how you,your mom and son are doing. Again, welcome back from your vacation and hope that you had a good time.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

stitch

Post by stitch »

Hii Deb, I have had three nerve tests all on my arms checking for nerve damage in my neck. Like everyone else said, it is uncomfortable. For me it was how long it took but when the test started it was not that bad. The only place it got some what interesting was in my hand. But it's only for a minute and then all over with.

I hope this tells you what you need to know. Mine came out ok. no problems. Good luck and prayers for you young lady, Jeannie