thinking of getting a new mattress............

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jbrinkley

thinking of getting a new mattress............

Post by jbrinkley »

My sleep is getting worse, I find myself running to the couch more and more now just to get to sleep.. Why is it I can lay in my bed for an hour and toss and turn, then get on the couch and be asleep in 15 minutes?

I have a really old mattress, with one of the feather down pads, I think that's what its called. But since my sleep is getting worse, I think a new mattress would really help. Any suggestions? I know that most places will let you try them for a night or two as long as you leave the plastic on them. Just trying to get some suggestions on what to start with.

I really need to stay around $1500 if possible.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am pretty sure that this has been discussed several times - not trying to avoid answering, just making sure you get all the info you need. Maybe try a search on mattress and review those posts. I can't remember, but it seems that several of them are in the Non-pharma section.

I new mattress didn't stop the RLS for me, but it did make my sleep partner a much happier guy and allowed us to stay in the same room instead of one of us ending up on the couch. Getting a mattress that isolates movement is key - we chose a Tempurpedic because it seemed to do that well. For us, this was a relationship-saver.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Dear JBrink,
I got a new mattress a few years ago and it helped me sleep better. It's just a regular one, but I laid on several until I decided which one was most comfortable. Even so, I ended up putting a foam pad on it, that egg carton kind, with the sheet over it. That really improves comfort.

jbrinkley

latex was what I went with.

Post by jbrinkley »

and wow, I have never slept so good in my life, my legs aren't as restless either. It might also be the mirapex helping. I laid on alot of beds before finally deciding to buy the latex. It really took a big chunk out of my pocket, but it is WELL worth it.. I was really scared to buy it because I wasn't sure if it would help or not, but I sure am glad I did.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I also bought a memory foam mattress, about two weeks ago, also got a 3 inch 'topper' for the bed in the spare bedroom. It is so comfortable, and I also was a bit uncertain because of the cost, but it was worth it. It doesn't particularly ease the rls but as previously mentioned in this thread, it isolates the movement so I don't feel so bad getting out of bed etc. I don't cause the same movement/disturbance and therefore I don't feel the same (self imposed) guilt in case of causing disturbance.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Forgot to say, I got my memory foam mattress via the internet, for half shop prices, and made sure the memory foam bit was 3inches deep. the mattress topper for the spare bed is also 3 inches deep. It is medium/firm rating. Excellent.