Cold/allergy meds and RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sara

Cold/allergy meds and RLS?

Post by Sara »

Okay, I know from my research, and from personal experience, that cold/allergy meds (and I think also colds/flu themselves for me) exacerbate RLS symptoms.

But I saw a commercial the other night that reminded me of a question I had about this a while ago, and forgot.

Coricidin advertises that it's better for heart patients and people like that, because of the different active ingredients it contains.

Does anyone here know any specifics about cold/allergy ingredients that might be less likely to exacerbate RLS symptoms???

I try to just not to medicate for cold/flu/allergy if possible, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to. Is there some lesser of the evils????

Sara

becat

hiya

Post by becat »

Sara,
I'm glad you asked, wish I had a real answer.
But when I needed something for allergies about a year ago now. I was told by the RLS doc to get something that worked in the bloodstream, not the brain.
Maybe Jumpy would help us with this one........
Hugs

jumpyowl

Hello Sara

Post by jumpyowl »

I would love to help. Can I do it after my deadline? it will take some research.
Jumpy Owl

Sara

Post by Sara »

Jan (and Jumpy)--

Just thought that I would mention briefly, this week I got what I'm affectionately calling "the killer flu from h***". There was NO alternative but to medicate for at various times for a variety of symptoms over the past five days (and I think at one time or another during that time I had every possible flu symptom.)

What I wanted to mention, though, was that this flu (because I didn't want to get really sick and have to stay away from Christmas festivities with my in-laws, which I'm really looking forward to, and because, thankfully, the worst of it started right as my sons' school was ending for the holidays) I was able and motivated to be VERY conscientious about resting and trying to kick the "bug" before it really hit me hard.

I went to bed when I felt like I needed to, and I STAYED there. I tried to drink ample fluids, eat as healthily as my limited strength (or my kids' cooking skills) and our depleting food stuffs would allow. And I took my OTC meds a little earlier than sometimes, because I could tell I might be in for something really rough.

It was interesting.... I almost always have worse RLS anytime I get a bad cold or flu, whether or not I take OTC meds. But this time, I was mercifully spared from any increase in RLS until last night... and I feel pretty certain that that was OTC "build-up" related. The other nights, maybe I didn't notice my RLS because I dont get it laying down too badly or too often... and I was too dizzy to sit up in the evenings? Or maybe, becuase I was resting as much as I could, rather than being my normal "walking wounded", I was less exhausted (though I didn't rest WELL any of that time) so I didn't get the "over-tired" RLs? Or maybe because I was worried about bad RLS, and applied the pH neutralizer gel that Becat and I use a few of the nights, that dulled it? I can't say. But I was relieved that for most of the worst of the flu I didn't have to also deal with worse RLS.

Last night, it all caught up with me, and the reason I feel it was the medication was because the RLS I had was when I was lying in bed, and it was definitely keeping me from sleeping... something that is not yet normal RLS pattern for me. it also kept me from falling back asleep for quite a while when I woke up in the night due to other symptoms. It wasn't the worst I've ever had, but I could NOT seem to get comfortable, and it was sort of gnawing at the back of my brain every time I'd start to get my brain to shut-off for sleeping. (Or was that just gnawing from inside my feet and ankles? :twisted: )

Today has been a day of lessening symptoms and so I've decided that I can safely cut back my medicines and dosages to minimums again. I'm HOPING that the remaining single OTC I need, with another relatively restful day behind me, will not be enough to start my RLS again tonight. We'll see.

But I did want to say, I've always heard that antihistimines were the worst for RLS, but for me yesterday, I think it was a decongestant/expectorant elixir I had taken during the day(guafinesin (sp?) and psuedoephedrine) that was the culprit. Earlier in the week and again today, I had taken a sinus medicine which has acetominophen, pseudoephedrine and can't recall which antihistimine. I didn't have any RLS at all when I took it earlier (and I'd run out, and no way to get more until yesterday, so I'd not had it in a couple days before my RLS bout last night). I'll post tomorrow if I have trouble with it tonight.

It's not scientific, but maybe if we compare notes, we can come up with some theories, at any rate, about how these things may interact with our RLS symptoms.

Hoping everyone else is staying healthy, and getting ready for a very merry Christmas.

Sara :D

Re: Cold/allergy meds and RLS?

Post by Guest »

Sara wrote:Okay, I know from my research, and from personal experience, that cold/allergy meds (and I think also colds/flu themselves for me) exacerbate RLS symptoms.

But I saw a commercial the other night that reminded me of a question I had about this a while ago, and forgot.

Coricidin advertises that it's better for heart patients and people like that, because of the different active ingredients it contains.

Does anyone here know any specifics about cold/allergy ingredients that might be less likely to exacerbate RLS symptoms???

I try to just not to medicate for cold/flu/allergy if possible, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to. Is there some lesser of the evils????

Sara

Hi Sara, The only time I've ever had a problem with OTC meds has been when they contained 'benydryl'. For some people, the affect is feeling tired and the ability to sleep, for me the drug 'wires' me and causes severe movement. Otherwise, I have no problem. Good luck to you!

Kimberly

jan3213

OTC meds

Post by jan3213 »

Hi SARA!!!

How you doing????

RE OTC meds, I can't take antihistamines or decongestants!!!! I tried to take Sudafed once and about went crazy!!! My doc and the pharmacist told me decongestants are bad, too--and from my personal experience, they are right. I can't take Nyquil--haven't found a decongestant that I can take. Soooooooooooo, there you have it!! When I get a cold, can't take anything OTC.

Each person is different, but I seem to be sensative to a lot of drugs!!! OTC and prescribed! The list on the Medical Alert Cards of the drugs that are nonos for RLS sufferers certainly applies to me!!!!!! Can't take any of the drugs that they say exacerbate RLS---because they ALL make my RLS worse!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Well... thanks folks for the input! :D

Interesting, Jan, that you mentioned Nyquil. I don't know if you saw my post to Oaklander over in the Pharm. section, but my earliest definite RLS memory was when I took Nyquil. That stuff is HARDCORE, in a number of ways.

Kimberley, I "took" benadryl ONE time, when my kids were babies. Can't recall what the problem was, but the baby and I both had the same thing and the doc said,"Well, you could give him benadryl to help him get over it faster." Because I was a new mom, and suspicious of meds (and had whatever he had, too), I decided to take the doseage the pediatrician recommended for my tiny baby, just because I had no experience with the med. WOW, I was glad I did... the BABY dose (and I mean LITTLE baby dose) knocked me on my kiester. I can't even describe to you how drugged out I felt, but it was HORRIBLE-- both wired and anesthetized at the same time, sort of. I decided to let the kid's troubles run their course, and he was fine. I threw out the rest of the bottle and have never had it in my house again in over a decade.

As for my current situation, as I mentioned, I wouldn't be taking anything, if I thought I could get away with it. I'm most concerned about developing a sinus infection, due to a number of circumstances, so I did take a half-dose of sinus medicine again last night (the antihistimine in this one is chlorpheniramine maleate, BTW). And although I'm like Jan, VERY sensitive to ALL medications OTC or otherwise, I'm pleased to say that I made it through the night with no repeat of the increased RLS I had the night before on the expectorant/decongestant.

I'm HOPING that it will kick this secondary sinus problem FAST, because my fear is that the longer I take it, the more likely I am to have what I've come to find as a "normal" reaction for me to this whole general group of medicines... bad RLS. But so far, so good, at least. <knocking on my wooden head> :lol:

And DARLING Becat... I can only blame my meds, my lack of sleep, and my general brain-fuzziness for replying to Jan instead of you. I'd say, what was I thinking... only I KNOW the whole problem is, I've hardly been able to think at ALL for a coupla days now. :wink: I know YOU know what I mean. Extra special hugs to you. :D

Merry Christmas wishes to all.

becat

it's ok............

Post by becat »

:cry: It's ok Sara, I understand. I so hope you feel better. It's never fun to be sick, but right now? You poor thing, don't over do it this weekend. If your sick who going to paint, grout, nail somthing up? LOL sorry had to.
Hugs right back.
I tried Claratin OTC a while back, it wasn't to bad for me. Thats my thoughts about it.
Jumpy, what can I really say?
I love you. You know we all praying, or sending strong, warm thoughts, healing hugs to you. Be well my friend. Be well.
Love to you all.
Hi ya Jan, hugs to you too.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hey Sara, Im sorry to hear you are sick with that bad virus going around. I just wanted to tell you that when I was sick back in September, my np suggested Coricidin and she was very aware of COLD MEDS and what they can do to us with RLS. I tried in and was surprised how well it worked for me. It didnt make me drowsy ans didnt mess with my RLS. I sure hope you are feeling better!!! You take care of you little missy!! Merry Mery Christmas enjoy it LOve to you ~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

Sara

Thanks, everybody!

Post by Sara »

Becat and Lyndarae--

Still hanging in here, but it's SO slow feeling better this time around. As a normally very-resilient person, I'm frustrated, I'll admit-- especially since I've been such a "good girl" about NOT painting, grouting, nailing, and even cooking.

(Over the weekend, our 12 year old came to me, and asked, "Hey, Mom, what's the plan for lunch?" and I said, "Honey, there isn't one... go eat anything that doesn't eat you first." :roll: :lol: )

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes and sympathy. Becat, couldn't believe the comedy of errors that kept me from getting to the health food store last week for the elderberry extract stuff. My best friend had sent emu oil which helps her sinues, etc., in a Christmas goodie box, and ironically it was en route when I was sickest. Doesn't it figure. <sigh> But I'm using that now, and I'll look for the extract you suggested as soon as I'm out and about again.

Lyndarae, thanks for the love and Christmas wishes. And I'm SO interested that you HAVE used Coricidin, and with good results. That was the product that started me musing about the whole subject, but I can't get it locally. Will consider picking some up when I'm in the city sometime to have on hand.

The update here is that I've continued to take the maximum-strength allergy/sinus caps--- one cap every six hours (instead of the suggested maxiumum two every six hours)--- hopefully just enough to keep me from getting a sinus infection. It's a couple days now, and I'm pleased to report that I've not had RLS those two nights, or during the day. Had JUST a touch when I was sitting down sort of late yesterday, but as soon as I laid down, it went away (as thankfully usual for me under "normal" circumstances).

So I've not seen any exacerbation from it. HOORAY! Alllllll I need about now is to worry about increased RLS, that's for sure.

So, for WHATEVER reason-- type of meds, amount of rest, pity from God himself? :wink: I've been able to take at least this minimum of meds.

I'm still not sure if I'm well enough for our extended family Christmas celebrations, but at least I'll feel well enough to be merry. :D And our actual personal family Christmas won't be until the 26th, when my husband comes home, anyway. By then, I sure HOPE, I'll be feeling totally back to my usual self.

Take care everyone, and ENJOY!!!!
Thanks again, and hugs--