degenerative disc disease

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
pokerdiva

degenerative disc disease

Post by pokerdiva »

So I got an MRI on Sunday in hopes they would find something wrong with me that they could fix. No luck, here is what the report said "IMPRESSION: DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE SMALL RIGHT FORAMINAL ANNULAR TEAR AT THE L5-S1 LEVEL" My doc says its unremarkable and we are back to RLS and Fibromyalgia being the cause of my leg pain. I'm bummed, I know that sounds weird, but part of me (actually all of me) wanted the MRI to come back and say I had this, this, and this, and it could be fixed by doing this and this, so on and so forth type. I wanted something concrete like an MRI to diagnose me so I don't have to wonder "well is it RLS?" I feel like I am back to the beginning. so FRUSTRATING :evil: . She wants me now to see the neuro again and the rheumotology docs for RLS and Fibro. What more can a neuro do for RLS?

thanks for listening

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Dear Poker,
When I was first diagnosed with RLS three years ago, I refused to believe I had such a disorder. I, too, thought it was something else. Eventually I was convinced. I also have two other documented diseases, and I am older, so the whole thing has been hard to bear

With treatment, for many it can be manageable. The neurologist will be able to help you choose medication, and he is a good resource for ongoing monitoring of your situation. It is an insidious disease, it can make life difficult, but the more you learn about RLS, the better equipped you will be to continue living fairly normally. According to various statistics, at least 5 percent of the population has this. It can be quite the struggle, but the support group at this website is comforting, and your neuro will be the most qualified person to turn to. He is good to have in your corner, and I would suggest you go to him twice a year.

I am one of the unfortunates, in that I have severe RLS with pain, I applied for disability and could not get it, so I ended up losing my job and my home. RLS affected my motivation, concentration, and movement, so right now, I am unable to do even the simplest things around the house. My medication keeps the pain at bay, and I sleep fairly well most of the time. But I think daily exercise and a better attitude would help me.

At the moment, I am devastated and sulking. My plans are to re-apply for disability with legal assistance, as I cannot even fill out the forms anymore, to use a positive attitude to push past the depressive state I'm in, and resume my exercise and try to eat better, so hopefully I can get to where I can enjoy my life, albeit limited, once again.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

:( :( :( Dogeyed, you really sound down. I think we've all been there, though, and it is possible to pull out of the depression. Antidepressants are a whole other can of worms for people with RLS, but they can help with the attitude. Can you take them? Or find a therapist who works with people with chronic conditions? I wish you the best in your quest to get disability. I've never heard of anyone getting that on the first attempt; good luck with the appeal. Sometimes it can be worth it to find an attorney who specialized in disability cases.

Pokerdiva, welcome to hell. :evil: It is horrible to have to go from doctor to doctor trying to get relief. I hope you can find some effective treatment soon.
Susan

pokerdiva

Post by pokerdiva »

Currently my treatment is narcotics, which I don't want to take forever. I thought at first it would be cool because lets be honest narcotics can be fun, however when you have to take them all the time it actually gets old. The medication does help with the pain, instead of the severe pain I have like a buzzing feeling in my legs, which I can deal with. I also sleep fairly well at night now days, not all days, but most of them, it wasn't always that way though. I wake up in so much pain though, I can't wait for the meds to kick in.

I feel for everyone else with RLS, and i think those stupid commercials make others think its no big deal and that drives me nuts.

I also think its nice that some yo-yo sitting behind a desk can determine if you get disability or not, what does that yo-yo know? It sucks that you (Dogeyed) had to lose your home, that is never good. I can't beleive you also lost your job, isn't there some sort of protection against that?

My new problem is I just can't get comfortable sitting. In the car, at my desk, on my couch it doesn't matter, sitting is now somethign I hate to do. I've tried different positions and nothing is helping, anyone ever get like that? I need to learn magic so I can just float instead of sit.

stitch

Post by stitch »

Hi There, I also have DDD and RLS and I have had 5 back surgeries and if you want to know about backs etc here is a good site to check out.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayart ... cle29.html

My rls got worse after the back surgeries but after the last one this past June 1 and it was the biggie right now my legs are fine. I don't have pain with my legs just my back. But for the rls I am taking neurontin 300mg's 3 to 4 times a day and mirapex 0.5 the same. I also take oxycodone 5mg's 3 times a day. For right now everything is working good. No rls and the pain in my back is so much better. I am fused from T10 down to S1.

I have had rls all my life and am 71 now and back problems for just the past 7 years.

Good luck with your back and legs, Jeannie