Made my day !!

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Made my day !!

Post by Polar Bear »

The background to this little story is that during the day, usually the afternoon, because of my rls, sometimes I have to set a little table on my desk to raise my keyboard, and I set my mouse onto 4 telephone books, this means things are at the correct level for me to stand at my work station for a couple of hours. Boss calls me 'jumpy legs'... as in... good morning girls, and how's jumpy legs today??

So.. on Friday past, boss asked me into the office for a chat. My first thought was.. Jeez.. what have I done :oops: . However, he said that he'd like to do anything he could to make things more comfortable for me in the office. He had an office equipment catalogue and was looking at the different office chairs. I was very moved at the concern shown, but tried to explain that this was a movement disorder and that my chair was not causing the problem. Also when I saw the price of the chairs in the catalogue I said I would be embarrassed at the cost, which was $400, boss said not to be concerned and that only he and I would be aware of the cost anyway. I assured him that the chair was not the cause and that it was a little movement that was required to relieve symptoms, and he then said he would look and see if he could locate perhaps a 'hutch system' to set on the desk when requred to keep all at the one level for me.
Note: I also use a lumber roll at the base of the seat for my lower back, beautifully secured (I don't think) with 3 large strong rubber bands... he said he would look at the orthopaedic chairs with an adjustable lumber area.
Then I had a thought, was it a problem to him that I was standing working at my desk when clients would pass thru the offices !!! I put this to him and his reply was that 'he didn't care if I stood on my head' :lol:

Bearing in mind that I work in a lawyers office, he probably is being very aware of health and safety issues... but, just the same, I thought it was very considerate of him, he is a most thoughtful boss, I wish there were more like him.

Just thought I'd share this with you. His consideration just made my day.

cadmonkey

Post by cadmonkey »

Betty - I am so envious - I work in an architects office and we are still doomed to work at drafting tables though not a single drawing has been done with a pencil/pen since I've been there, and for quite some time before. Ergonomics aren't aesthetics so...

The only saving grace is I can stand at my desk when needed since I work on a stool. the stool has horrid back support but does have a foot support ring I can lock my legs back in which affords some daytime relief.

$400 for an office chair - that's chump change - most of the chairs we put into office type spaces cost more than my first 2 cars combined. They even cost more than my daughter's braces.

Another option to look into if he's serious about helping, there is a desk/worktable that is motorized and can be adjusted to different heights at the push of a button. Very clean installation and very versatile. Granted it gets back into the range of cars, etc but at least look into it. I'll try and get a manufacturer and model if I can remember on Monday. :)

Greg

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That's great, Betty. It's nice to know he wants to help you feel more comfortable. More than I can say about most of our doctors!
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks cadmonkey and susan.
Sorry cadmonkey, I don't reckon he'd be spending the sort of money you are talking about for desks etc.
I actually thought $400 was a lot for a chair, more than we are used to!!

Betty