A Question

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jiggyanne

A Question

Post by jiggyanne »

I have a question. When do you (anybody) take your meds? Do you take them just before bed or early in the evening, or some other time? If I don't take the Requip soon enough (before symptoms start) then it doesn't work. If I take the Klonopin along with the Requip, then I'm zonked out too soon. Tonight, I trying something. I took the Requip at 9:00, before any symptoms started and then when I go to bed, I'll take the Klonopin. I think that's the one that puts me to sleep. Does that make sense?

Anne
[img:f40c48321a]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/singsnpaints/73061ecf.gif[/img:f40c48321a]

Neco

Post by Neco »

That makes a lot of sense. It's always a good idea to take your primary med before the onset of symptoms, as once they arrive it usually takes extra effort to make them go away again.

The Klonopin right before bed is a good idea too, as it should let you stay up a little later, and then help you get to sleep when it is time.

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

Thanks! I guess that does make sense.

Anne
[img:f40c48321a]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/singsnpaints/73061ecf.gif[/img:f40c48321a]

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Yes, Anne that makes sense. I'm surprised (OK, not really) your doctor didn't tell you this, but you need to take the Requip 2-3 hours before the symptoms start because it takes that long for it to start working.

You'll likely get better results this way.
Susan

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

I think he was as puzzled about how it worked as I was. The first batch he gave me was from a sample that a salesman had left. He's very willing to let me experiment. Within reason, of course.

Anne

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Anne what works for me is that I take half of the .125mg of mirapex around 4pm to stop the onset of rls and then about an hour before I retire I take a full .125mg of mirapex and 1mg of clonazapem. So far this is working as I go to sleep right away. The problem that I have is staying asleep. Sometimes I sleep for about an hour or two and then wake up off and on. Last night was a good night as I only woke up once.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

Well, right now, I'm up and it's 1:10 AM. No RLS, just awake. I don't know abut Mirapex, but Requip is in a strange shape and you can't cut them in half very well.

I am getting sleepy, now. Maybe I painted too much today. I'm getting ready for a show and I've got 11 little miniatures to do. Only two more to go.

Anne
Time to stop jitterbugging!!

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

P.S. fortunately, once I get to sleep, I stay there. Except for one trip to the loo (as they say).

I said stop!!

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I think the experimentation aspect, for most, probably cannot be avoided. I do not take the same meds so cannot comment on those specifically but I know I am routinely adjusting mine periodically. Most importantly, I am happy that your regimen is working.

I think even doctor's comments of when to take a med are deceiving as it is given from the "standard" viewpoint. This does not mean that recommendations should be ignored but that sometime they must be altered based on individual response to the med. I guess your question was timely as I recently had a dr. appt. Part of the discussion was about ultram. Essentially, the doc stated that ultram was fast acting and that I should see a response in about 20 minutes. I don't know if that is true or not for most individuals but, for me, 60 minutes is minimum response time. So, in terms of his perspective, when I should take the ultram (with respect to symptom onset/management) was significantly different than mine.

Again glad things are working for you and hope your are sound asleep by now.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Jiggy,
I think Mark has a good point.

I also found that day to day is different and it made my meds shedule womewhatt off from the dos ideas.
I will be honest that I wanver very little, so my meds are well controlled by count.

Howver, I do notice that I might need my medications earlier to avoid them coming on too strong.

It's all trial and error with most of us, but we're her for you til, we all hope, it happens sooner than later.

yeah for sleep!
Lynne

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Jiggy

I agree with Mark and Lynne. It is a different thing with each drug and each person.

If you are really concerned about when to take things, dont be scared to approach your doctor about it; however, since most doctors have a "what would you know" approach to patients knowing anything about their medical problems, it would be a good idea to keep a sleep diary for a week or so and take that and any other information you have found about the meds you are on, to your doc.

To save you making up a diary yourself, the Foundation has a link to one:here . If anyone is looking for it at the site, its under "Medical & Scientific Info" -> "Publications & Brochures" -> "RLS Patient Sleep Diary". In the comments section at the bottom of page 2, you could note each med you take and the time taken.

Also, next time you are at the drug store/pharmacy, have a look for tablet cutters. If they're not obviously displayed, ask if they stock them. Yes, Ropinirole tablets are a very awkward tablet to cut, but you may find one of these lil devices are a godsend. Try to get one that holds the tablet in place so you can get a more accurate break.

Hope that helps and that you find some peace and sleep soon.

Love n hugs,
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

Thanks everybody! I slept like a rock last night (eventually). I had a warm cup of cocoa (don't ask me why, but it works) and a supplemental pill of Melatonin.

Anne
I need this jitterbug to wake up, now!

eliza

Post by eliza »

Nadia, I just checked out your link to the "RLS Patient Sleep Diary." It’s excellent – thank you!

There was also another thread about barometric pressure. This would be a great place to record weather and barometric pressure changes too. Any correlations between RLS, sleep and weather would be evident.

Eliza

jiggyanne

Post by jiggyanne »

We're having a big storm (SNOW!!) coming this Monday, here in Maine. I'm going to pay attention this time. See if it affects my RLS.

Anne

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

Hi Anne, I got my gp to split my script. I get 60 .5 instead of 30 1.0 They are very hard to split, even with a pill cutter. I don't think it cost any more to do this. Good luck, Pat