Permax Oxazepam???

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
lyndarae

Permax Oxazepam???

Post by lyndarae »

Anyone who has any experince and info or advice about one or both of these meds, I would be interested thanks

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The So Cal RLS Support Group site talks about both of them, but I haven't used them. Are these new meds the doc wants you to try to replace the Mirapex? Permax is the other kind of DA, I think. I can't remember exactly: some are ergot derived and some are non-ergot. I think this is an ergot. The We Move site has great explanations of the differences between the two. Good luck, Lyndarae.

Ann

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Ann thank you so much for the links they are great and helpful. I just got back from the doc and I will post whats up!!!!!! I am sooooo sick of all this

jumpyowl

Yes, ergot-derived dopamine agonist

Post by jumpyowl »

Ann is right, Permax is an ergot-derived drug and as such it can cause hearth valvular disease and lung scarring but rarely. Here is some info on it:

Permax (Pergolide)
This medication is a dopamine agonist (acts like dopamine on the dopamine D1 and D2 receptors). Permax may work better than Sinemet for daytime RLS symptoms and for more severe RLS. Permax has been shown in a recent study to help patients (73%) who failed Sinemet. Compared to Sinemet it has a longer duration of action of up to 10-12 hours ( Sinemet's duration is only 5-6 hours). It can be added to Sinemet (the Sinemet dose should be reduced as this is done). This drug does usually does not cause significant rebound or augmentation problems as described above with Sinemet. Permax comes in 0.05 mg, 0.25 mg, and 1.0 mg.

Oxazepam is a sedative and it is a bit safer than benodiazepines. It is used to treat anxiety.

Do you have a visit coming up on the 5th?
Jumpy Owl

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Yes Jumpy, I go to the sleep clinic on the 5th. I was just wondering about those meds. I am begining to think that the Mirapex is not doing a thing for me. I think I might be one of those people who can just take klonapin or another benzo and be ok. But with my history it will be hard to covense people to give me a try doing just that. But I am going to go back to health west and make them let me look at my files, and when I go to the sleep clinic I want to start fresh. We will see. I know in 87 klonapin worked great for me all on its own, but I didnt have the creepy crawlies then so we will see.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

jumpyowl

Hi, Lyndarae:

Post by jumpyowl »

Have you tried oxazepam? It is sinmilar to klonopin (clonazepam)?
Jumpy Owl

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

no I have not tried it what are the differences? Is it less addicting? I have done some research on it but I dont know how to compare the two ?? Thanks ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

jumpyowl

Lyndarae, hi!

Post by jumpyowl »

Okay, here we go!

Both drugs belong to the same group, benzodiazopene.

They are similar in addiction potential, they could become addictive after two to four weeks.

Oxazepam is used in alcoholics who have stopped drinking.

They both will you make drowsy. Klonopin has the longer half life.

I would say it would be worth of your time to try it. No one can predict how you will react to it but if Klonopin helped, this should also help.

Do you need the printed algorithm summary or could your friend print it out?

Love and peace, Happy New Year!
Jumpy Owl