Bad Night

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
waterloo2

Bad Night

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi all

Just needed to vent some, it sure does help.
Im having a bad night Thurs/Fri my legs are
jumping my Arthiritis has been bad so took
2 pain killers just after midnight had a couple
of hours sleep due to pain killers they knock
you out sometimes. After that omg the
b.......y rls set in big time. So have got up
at 05.33 am made a cuppa sending you this
hope for some response.
Please reply.

Love gill.

:roll: :roll:

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi gill, Sorry for another rough night but glad you are letting some steam off with the post. You know, gill, seems that many of your posts are filled with pain and despair. Not unusual as many of mine are also. But, I was thinking, while I know how uncomfortable and painful your rls and other conditions make you feel, I don't think I know much else about you. Would you mind or be able to share some things about yourself that we might not know. I would particularly like to hear about some of the good things that are going on in your life right now or maybe even before the rls and stuff started taking over your life.. I think that may help myself and others see a different side of you and perhaps might even help take your mind off the other things if only for just a bit. Anyway, I know there is a brighter face and happier side of the person behind the posts and just want hi to that other side. Best wishes, my friend.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Dearest Gill,
The time numbering on these posts, don't know if you're awake like me, but it's 5:30 a.m. U.S. East Coast time, and the sun has not yet come up here. I woke up myself really early, at 3:00 a.m., with my legs and my back bothering me. Yesterday I spent hours at the neurologist for my six-month office visit, and then had to go get my medication, and so on. So, naturally when I'm a long time on my feet or in the car or sitting down (everything except laying down hurts), it takes a couple days for my pains to settle down, even with all the good drugs I take. Also, I have back problems from a car wreck, so whilst my legs hurt, my back pain is also going on in two places, so tonight it is really hard to rest, too.

Gill, I used to travel, and I have been to England, Scotland, and Ireland, and my brother recently went over there, and his son also visited a few years ago, and we are all part Scot. Have you ever watched the movie "Chariots of Fire"? It's a true story about a Scottish minister who competed in the Olympics towards the beginning of the 20th century. My favorite part of going to Scotland was the train ride through the craggy green hills, with lakes at the bottom, and I saw where a rainbow ended, a great swath of gold across the grass!

I have said before, Gill, your meds need adjusting. But I know, even with meds, the legs can still hurt like crazy. My neurologist told me yesterday that the reason people like me get rather foggy in the head, is because pain is like someone tapping on your shoulder while you are trying to talk....you can't think straight from the nuisance of it. I have major depression and panic disorder, and I take medication for those, but just like RLS, it still creeps through, and this morning, like you, I am quite sad.

But I still have so many dreams I want to accomplish, so many creative pursuits I still have to follow, and altho I lost my home of 20 years and live in a trailer now, this is a comfortable home, and I still enjoy my two dogs and of course my husband. He is sick but in a different way than me, and yet he offered to go with me to the neuro yesterday if I needed him to, which filled my heart with valentines.

Gill, it is hard to have diseases and disorders and syndromes. It took me a long time to accept all my problems, and at my young age of 57, and being a female, I feel a little bit more helpless than a man might, even tho I have been an independent sort of person with a lot of brain power. I suppose it is the loss of past life that hurts so much. We keep thinking we can just get up and go, go, go, when we cannot. Acceptance is hard. So, even tho I woke up early this morning in a fair amount of misery, I was heartened to see your post, that I am not alone, and I was also trying my mental health trick of counting my blessings, so since daylight will be here just two short-long hours away, and my dogs are laying on the floor beside me, and I have a blanket around my legs to keep me warm (it's 18 degrees Fahrenheit here, which is 14 degrees below freezing, and snow is still on the ground from last week), I am pretty sure I shall make it thru another night.

By my calculations, Gill, it is broad daylight now in the UK and almost lunchtime, so I hope you got past your bit of misery long enough to find something in your day that makes you happy.
Sincerely yours, GG (Gigi MacGregor)

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Gigi

I have a young dog a Golden Retriever
hes 7 months young and loopy. Im
jiggered today. Hey its the first time
my rls played up big time in a week
because I bought a Tens Machine think
you being UK might of heard of it from
Lloyds Chemist. It is on offer at the
moment and is selling like Hot Cakes
as the saying goes. How can anything
sell like Hot Cakes silly .....lol, and Mark
doc won't give me anything stronger,
ive asked her and asked and no its no
good going to another doc as its the other
meds im on. 0h well suppose i'll have to
put up with it. Im sorry to go on, but, am
having a hard times coming to terms with
the way ive ended up with my health probs
and being on 59 got the biggy this year 60
in August geez I just needed to vent.
Anyong in chat tonight I know its Friday.
Just wondered.

Thanks for listening.

love gill

:roll: :evil:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Gill, Mark, and Dogeyed, Yeah, it can be difficult just thinking beyond the symptoms and at 4am or 5am, things are always at their blackest. My meds usually keep things 'sort of' under control.... plenty of breakthru but I try to cope. Today in work I was under pressure, deadline etc. etc. and all I wanted to do was go outside and run up and down the road. For whatever reason, meds werent great.

As previously said, I think it is a constant battle of adjustment of meds. The tens machine sounds a good idea, would you recommend it Gill?

Minus 15 degrees, we visited Edmonton Canada a year ago and had minus 20, it was brilliant. Never get to experience that here in N. Ireland. Plenty of rain tho... the 'soft irish mist' that poets wax on about is known locally as ...... well I won't say in case I offend anyone.

Gigi and Gill, I am the same age range as yourselves, (59 in June coming) and when the rls starts, boy do I feel like a day off work!!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Hi Everyone,

This is my very first post having joined y'all only a week ago.

I wanted to jump in here and let Gill and GG know that I hear them loud and clear. I'm only able to sleep about 2 hours in a stretch then up for an hour or so inbetween the sleep periods. My story is a little long as I look below and I apologize for the length. I promise my future posts will be shorter. :)

I'm the only one in my family with multiple health issues. My sisters and brother are "normal" (or so they think, LOL). My older sister and brother have rls. Mom is in denial although she does seem to get some relief from Klonapin when her legs "ache". I'm positive my father had rls because his legs were so bad since he was in his late 30s.

I've had rls for about 13 years but they only became really bad over the last month or so. I'm going to turn 50 yrs old in October this year and wonder what the future holds if things keep getting worse.

I have a great support system within my family, friends and church. My husband cooks, cleans and even does toilets! As well, my new neurologist is terriffic. I fired my previous doctor last September when he took a lazy approach to my issues.

I also have fibromyalgia, migraines, cervicalia (all 8 discs in my neck are herniated from a car wreck) and diabetes. The fibro and rls went wacko recently and my doc put me on the new fibro drug Lyrica. After the first day I started noticing slight improvement. I have such high pain tolerance that I stay away from the narcotics as much as possible for now . . . but I do have a standing prescription for Darvocet.

I guess the hardest thing about having multiple health issues is that they all feed each other in the good times and definitely in the bad times. RLS episodes trigger fibro which tightens the neck muscles and causes the migraines. Not to forget that the migraines cause nausea and all that pain causes my blood sugar to soar. I guess if I have to have something wrong with me, at least my different ailments will never be alone. :lol:

I have a strong faith in my Savior and am active in my church choir and other programs. At any one time I have thousands praying for me and I know that's why I don't get down to very often. My biggest issue is the fact that out of 4 children why did I have to get everything! My best friend told me it's because I'm the strongest and the only one of us kids that can handle it. LOL

Okay, I guess I'm done rambling for now. I mainly don't ever want anyone suffering to think they are alone. I know I am lucky with my loved ones the stork picked for me and I thank God every day for them. I mean, hello, my husband does toilets!

Thanks for listening . . . I really do enjoy reading the posts on all of the forums. As well as joining in the Monday night chats.

Restful days ahead . . .
Cyndi

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Hey Gill,

Just a tip: you don't have to hit enter at the end of every line in the text input box. Just keep typing and hit enter at the ends of paragraphs (or on blank lines). The forum software will wrap your text at an appropriate margin automatically; you don't need to do it by hand.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Gill Sorry for what you are going through and cannot add too much more as you got some excellent advise from other members.

Hi Cyndi it is so good to hear from you. We met in the chat room last Monday and so glad that you joined the discussion board. I love your attitude towards things and having faith is wonderful. I also have alot of faith as without it I would not be were I am today. Your post was not long, in fact, enjoyed reading it and also we learn alot friom each other.

Hope to see you on the chat line next Monday night.

Have a great weekend.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Hi Charlene,

Thank you for your words. And, yes, I do plan on being in the chat next Monday night. I believe I didn't know just what I was missing until I joined this great group of supporters!

Have a great weekend as well.

Cyndi

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Cyndi you are more than welcome and looking forward to our chat on Monday and again am so glad that you joined us.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Cyndi, Another warm welcome to you. I am so glad for all the support you have--we should all be so lucky. Also, I am encouraged and humbled by your strength and faith. Welcome to the family.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Aiken wrote:Hey Gill,

Just a tip: you don't have to hit enter at the end of every line in the text input box. Just keep typing and hit enter at the ends of paragraphs (or on blank lines). The forum software will wrap your text at an appropriate margin automatically; you don't need to do it by hand.

That's why they call her e.e. gill
I like her margins. Combined with her UK-isms, it's like reading a poem.
Well
Maybe not
quite a poem.
But you get the drift.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Gill & Everyone,
Thanks, Gill, for responding, especially about your puppy dog. What would we do without them? Everyone else, I was happy so many responded to our Gill, so far away, and yet so close by. I wanted to say something about Faith brought up in a couple posts. Since the beginning of time, people have needed Comfort, and the Great Spirit has always responded, so He IS there. I pray and read the scripture all the time, especially the New Testament. Just last night I was reading my Bible, and this morning I began my day with a prayer. Jesus was pointed out by prophets in the Old Testament, which thousands of years later in Matthew, all those references are quoted so that we might SEE that Jesus IS the One. So, I go by what He said in the four Gospels, and I am Comforted. I can't count the times a little prayer has gotten me thru a tough time. I think everyone of every religion who prays must be wanting the same thing we all want: Peace. So there is Hope for everyone and Love is everywhere.
GG

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi GG love your post. My sister sent me a book called "Living Faith" and has scriptures for each day and they really lift me up.

Glll your puppy sounds great. They are a comfort to you. I know as we have a 14 yr old australian shepherd mix and he is still a comfort to us.

Everyone have a great day.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

WAM--

Heh.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.