RLS and exercise

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
James333

RLS and exercise

Post by James333 »

About exercise I want to know what are the best forms of exercise for people with RLS?

I need to know what exercises, sports, or routines make RLS worse or better?

I hope in the future to develop a new exercise plan since my rls has escalated to a whole new level. Not being able to exercise for the last year has effected my energy level and depression. In general exercise makes me feel better about myself. I have always had an exercise plan but need to develop a new one since my RLS has recently changed.

I am new to the board and know very little about RLS and feel I have a lot to learn about it in a short period of time.

Before my RLS changed my schedule was going to the gym for light exercise 2 to 3 times a week mainly I would do cardio things like the treadmill, exercise bike, light weight lifting, and a little stretching. My sports and exercise experience in the past consisted of Tennis, Golf, walking, and Karate (Tae Kwan Do) as well.

I know everyone has a different routine and have read some good articles about it. I want to try to start seriously running in the future if I can. I do not know if that’s an option or not for my situation.

When I have my medication in order I will have to come up with a new exercise program to hopefully not just help fight my RLS but make myself feel better about myself. I want to remain positive, hopeful and optimistic about my RLS. Before my RlS kicked in last year to a whole new level of pain I was a somewhat athletic person. I could exercise on a regular basis.

James :?:
Everyone needs to know Willis Ekboms disease

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Jx3, Like you, I was, used to be, or at least thought I was quite athletic and active as a young pup. But, with the passage of time, an injury prone back, bad shoulders from tennis and racquetball, and rls things have changed. I suspect that for many we try to do what we can. Now, I enjoy walking, biking, and golf...all in moderation but one or the others on a regular basis. I think "regular" is the key word. I find that if I do these things regularly and don't overdo any of them the legs seem to be ok and I feel better also. However, if I get too lazy and then start up again the rls seems to be more noticeable not to mention the aches and pains from starting after a layoff of even a week or so. My doc. advises me to exercise to the point of a good sweat for about 1/2 hour per day. My back won't allow that. In any event, I suspect it's an individual thing but again moderation and consistency are probably the keys. Usually some moderate walking etc. about 6 pm or so also seem helpful for me. Good luck with you program. Join us for chat on Monday if you are able. Best wishes.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi

What about people like me with Arthiritis,
any advice.

gill (UK)

:roll:

pamhb

Post by pamhb »

I find that I am limited as to the amount of exercise I get that requires a lot of use of my legs -- for example, if I'm on holidays and I do a lot of walking and standing, then my legs will be bad in the evening. However, an hour on the treadmill, or time on the bike, or Pilates isn't a problem.

As with a lot of RLS triggers, you simply have to give it a try and pay attention to how it affects your symptoms. Good luck!

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

I have gone back to water aerobics and walk three times a week and that seems to help. I know that stress, alcohol (which I hardly drinkl) and caffeine really triggers my rls.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Gill. With arthritis, don't the "experts" recommend daily, gentle exercise to keep you from stiffening up? Charlene mentioned water aerobics - is that an options for you? I remember when I lived in Europe (Germany and Spain) that there were public swimming pools everywhere, and on certain days they kept them warm so that people with arthritis would find them more comfortable. I don't know if you have a pool nearby.

Also, isn't walking good for arthritis? I have a diagnosis of osteoarthritis in my knees, even though it's more just tendon and ligament damage. But it can hurt like heck when I walk sometimes. I have a prescription for Celebrex that I take when it flares up and when I'm more active. I guess I don't know what you can take for yours. I also take omega 3 oils, which seems to help with inflammation.

My warranty expired at age 40, and there are so many places that can hurt anymore, with having had 2 major back surgeries and a couple knee injuries. :(
Susan

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Gill

I have arthritis and have been told to do exercises , walking and also swimming as the strain is taken of your body in the water, I find it helps a lot.Have also put on a lot of weight ,thank meds for that, and have to loose three stone ,which will also help the arthritis....will when the motivation is there.
Does anyone know will loosing weight help the rls?

huggles
moonlight :P
sleep is not only a dream

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Guess what you define as exercise may be relevant. I think that anything that gets you to "regularly" use your body in different ways such as stretching, shopping at the supermarket, bending, reaching, lifting etc. could be classified as exercise. For some people that could mean things such as performing your job, household chores, taking the kids to the park, walking the dogs, cleaning the car etc. So, guess you can get a lot of exercise by really not "exercising." Aerobics is another story I guess. Anyway, I do think, particularly for those with arthritis that regular exercise is important. Low impact things such as water aerobics, recumbent bicycles, total gym, pilates etc would seem all good things to do. I also think varying the types of exercise is important so that you use different sets of muscles at different times and in different ways. For instance in my younger years I played in as many as 3 basketball leagues a week as well as a volleyball league (winter time). But when, we would start up racquetball after the volleyball/basketball seasons were over...well my goodness what a shock to my body. Again, using different muscles in different ways. So, a well rounded program or several activities are probably preferable to something such as just walking. But, don't get me wrong. If walking is all you can do because of your particular circumstance that is great and, by all means, walking is probably the single best activity you can do for yourself. Put a couple two pound weights on your arms and/or legs and it makes that even better. Again, if you have arthritis, or not, invest in good equipment such as high quality walking shoes, proper clothing, and good company. Start out slowly, stay hydrated, don't overdo it, and everything in moderation.

Anything that you can do to place less strain on your joints such as dropping a few pounds will help.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

M, Don't know if losing weight will help rls or not as I think both heavy and slim people have rls. But, I think if you lose weight with a combination of diet and exercise (an are able to keep your weight that way) than you probably are doing something that will be beneficial to yourself both physically and mentally and perhaps help your rls in the process.

M.

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Moonlight

Im aquaphobic girl dont like the water.

gill