Sleep Thief

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
lorabell

Sleep Thief

Post by lorabell »

Hi All.
In reading the different posts, I haven't seen anything about the book. " Sleep Thief" by Virgina Wilson . It is 12 yrs. old now, but well worth the money . I think I paid 30.00 for mine, and that was ? 2000.( Amazon.com )
All of us owe Virginia a debt we can never repay. She was the one who told her Dr. 'I am not nuts, I am sleep deprived and there is SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY LEGS!" I am not using her exact words here, but you get the idea.
If you have never heard of the book, check it out at your local library.
When I read it, I sat and cried. SOMEONE ELSE KNEW what I went thru at night! Someone else has been walking the floors, praying for relief, doing anything to make her legs lie still.
I keep my copy next to me on my computer shelf and grab it now and then.
I know I have read it countless times, and this morning as I was looking thru it, I realized something I never thought of before. All the money she makes from the sale goes to the RLS Foundation.
What a big heart!
I won't tell you what her dedication says, please read it for yourself. Had it not been for these wonderful people, we may yet be stumbling into walls at 3 Am and wondering why someone, somewhere can't tell us what is wrong.
Because of Virginia and the others who heped her with this book, we are able to help others.
Do you remember life before the RLS Foundation ? Before our chat room and this board?
We get so caught up with just trying to "live a normal life" we forget sometimes of those who came before us that paved the way for us.
Jut wanted to let y'all about Sleep Thief. A better title I can't think of. LOL
Lorabell
aka
wowobl
PS, the strides taken from 1996, (when the book was published) till now is incredible.!
Always remember, if you cut off your limbs, you'll have phantom rls and nothing to rub .LOL

lorabell

Sleep Thief

Post by lorabell »

I forgot something.
If you haven't ordered the So. CA. Support Group book," Living with Restless Legs", I highly recommend it too.
Elizabeth, "Bill" Tunison tells the story of how the group came to be, and of her search for the answers to RLS/PLMD.
I LOL when I read what she had to say about her search for help.
It is also a wonderful guidebook for us to keep handy as ref. material.
Just more info for us,.
Lorabell
aka
wowobl
Always remember, if you cut off your limbs, you'll have phantom rls and nothing to rub .LOL

becat

Post by becat »

Lorabell,

Your so very right, without Virgina Wilson where would we all be?

She is a hero in my eyes for sure.

The torch was held by her and she led the way for so many of us to follow.

What a woman!!!!!

And another book that is a needed one by everyone is Jill Gunzells book:

Restless Legs Syndrome: The RLS Rebel's Guide to Survival"

With or without meds, this book gives us all "tricks" to put into our "bag of tricks". I'm so glad she thought enough about it to share and what a lady she is, as well.

Lynne

lorabell

Jill's Book

Post by lorabell »

Hi Lynne.
I can't believe I forgot Jill ! I met her and saw her demonstration of her " bag of tricks " and was very impressed by her.
So, Jill, if you still check the board out, I am sorry. :(
Lorabell
aka
wowobl

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi folks, I'm going to go online now and order Sleep Thief and the So CA Living with Restless Legs. Hope I can find them ok.

Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

lorabell

Sleep Thief

Post by lorabell »

Hi Betty.
If you go to www.rlshelp.org, this is the SO. CA. support group site. You can order their book , lat time I heard, it was 13.00. It is so nice to keep it handy for a ref. guide.
And Sleep Thief is so cool. I don;t think you'll regret every getting them.
Lorabell
aka
wowobl

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ta, I went onto Amazon (where ages ago I had registered) and ordered Sleep Thief, however responding email said my payment had been declined... Ages ago when I must have registered to buy books I would have given my payment details. So when I went onto Amazon today it of course rememberd my details and there was a link to 'buy with one click' so I used it. This of course would have been using previously logged payment details so I reckon my new card/expiry date no longer applies, thus it was refused. I hope it is simply this is the case.

Of course, when I tried to contact my 24/7 telephone banking to confirm the reason for refusal, I was on hold and in the queue 'cos my call was inportant to them!!!!!' for 20 minutes :evil: :evil: and in the end I hung up. This makes me so mad!!!

Betty
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I use Amazon a bit (don't tell anyone how much, lol), and they do record your payment info. You can log into your account and see what they are using. It's possible you used a credit card and it expired, but you sent a new one and you just need to put in your new date.

Hope that helps.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes Ann, I reckon it is something like you have suggested. i just wanted to confirm the reason for the refusal with the card provider. On the other hand it may not even have got the length of the provider as it was prob rejected by Amazon themselves.

By the way, I eventually got an answer an telephone banking provider to be told ' I do not have access to that information. Contact your local branch tomorrow'. This of course was obviously a call centre in India or whereever... jeez I hate these call centres.

Will go back onto Amazon and try and locate which card I originally originated for payment. all this techno stuff frustrates me!!!

Here goes.
Betty
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Techno stuff is great...and horrible - and sometimes both at any given point in time! The call centres....yikes, that's a discussion that could keep us busy for hours, lol.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Lora thanks for bringing up the "Sleep Thief" I need to order that one and also the one from Jill Gunzel.

Just wanted to reminded everyone about the chat room tomorrow night at 7pm mountain time so it will be either 8 or 9 pm your time depending on where you live in states.

I also mentioned that if anyone wants to host another night to chat or during the daytime for Europe or people that unable to get on the chat line on Monday nights, please pm me and I will go over what needs to be done. It is so rewarding and will find out how many people really need this. It is a commitment so it is something that you will definitely take charge of it.

Good luck and hope to see everyone tomorrow night. Have a nice evening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

There was a long thread here, back in about 2004 or 2005, called "Sleep Thief, Life Thief," in which many members discussed all the annoyances of RLS. The book was mentioned, of course.