Caffeine Withdraw

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Hos
Voice Chat Host

Caffeine Withdraw

Post by Hos »

It's well known that caffeine can increase RLS but getting off of the stuff is hard! Although I don't seem to have worse RLS because of it ...unlike when I overdo the beer or take any OTC antihistamines where my RLS gives me an evil possessed leg/chest.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_re ... 29_04.html

Does anyone know how to get off of it? I like a few Cokes a day (3 if it's been extra stressful) but my body now expects it and I get flu-like symptoms without it.

I recently read that it's best to cut down a few ounces a week to gradually stop the physiological dependence. I should of thought of that myself. I mean, when my dr cut down my Xanax we did it very slowly at .125 mg. per week.

I look forward to getting my energy back (and losing a few pounds). Personally, I don't like being physiologically addicted to Mirapex and Xanax (and probably carbs!) so one less addictive substance in my body sounds good to me. Pray for perseverance!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good luck, Hos. I am not sure - but think that cold turkey withdrawal symptoms will go away pretty quickly. Most people I know have just felt bad for a few days max.

I did it cold turkey because I wasn't using it everyday. Years ago I realized that just one cup of coffee or tea, two days in a row, provided a lovely headache on the third day if I didn't have it. I haven't had soda pop in a long time for other reasons. After literally years of having constant headaches, when I stopped intermittent caffeine use, I had no more headaches. Even my migraines reduced dramatically.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Wow, I figgered I was the only one who could get addicted after just 2 days of drinking it. Thanks for the info. I'm too chicken to go cold turkey :roll: . I wouldn't be worth too much at work with the 3-4 day flu-like caffeine hangover.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Caffeine's funny that way. Once you've had it for a day or two, you'll get a headache, or worse, the day you stop. Drink a few mouthfuls of coke or coffee and your headache will go away, but it'll return in full the next day. There's really no way to taper off because of that. Cold turkey for a day or two is the only way to get off of it.

Me, I drink a little caffeine every day--one can of Barq's root beer. I went off it for six months, once, but I honestly felt emotionally flat without it. I think I've had so much caffeine in my life that it's an expected part of my chemical makeup. I just have it early in the day so I'm okay by evening, at which point I drink water or other non-caffeinated beverages.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I never seen to get headaches and stuff.. I'm not sure why.. But I think I am just immune to caffeine at this point.. When I was about 15/16 and had left school, I used to have these marathon sessions where I would do nothing but drink coffee by the pot, smoke, and play my favorite text game 14 - 16 hours a day , then go sleep, wake up at 8pm and repeat.

Ever since then my bladder has never been the same (I go a lot, esp if I cut solid foods out of my diet), and coffee has never been the same either.. Soda might keep me up an hour or so extra, and so will caffeine pills, but that's it.

Speaking of which.. if you wanted to taper you could buy some caffeine pills and slice them up into little bits and try that.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Try subsituting caffeine-free or mixing half and half for awhile until you are drinking only caffeine-free. I switched to caffeine-free tea bags and my husband never knew the difference. (Of course, they probably aren't completely caffeine free.) I just don't drink enough water. If I drank what was recommended and cut out the soda completely I would feel much better. Habits are hard to break, that's for sure.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

Hos, I honestly am so happy you have the choice. What a cool gift for you to have. :D

I do know tha that cold turkey is hard, it's not very pretty, like the bad flu, PLUS. I see stress to the body with it, but that is just me. I like the decrease in caffienie and hope that you can find what woeks best for you.

I personally get sway with two cups of sorta coffee, :roll: , if early enough in the day or sometimes even one cup in the afternoon for an evening event.

I had to giggle at myself at one point. I had become a party pooper. i openly admit that I like my pjs, my hubby, the animals, and playing one the web. My mother and father are learning.

Hos, do your best to the best by your body, your young. Do what you know is healthiest for you. Either way we are here to support you. I thnk most of us have ran the gambit from both sides, so expect great advice as has been given, know your body enough to know what slow is for you, or be ready, as we will, if you go cold turkey. No judegements, just a better understanding from your experiences.

I for one, would have taken the step down approach to this one. For the lack of stress to you and your body. Your doc is a wise man, consel with him ( as I think you have) and follow what you thiknk is right.

We'll still be here, wither way! :D I wish you the best and the best and a moon full of prayers and good thoughts your way.

Hugs Lynne

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Well, it's been 2 months and I'm caffeine free. One less thing my body is addicted to. The cutting down 2 oz. per week worked well. The last week had a few minor headaches going from 2-3 oz. to zero but it went better for me then cutting cold turkey. :D

becat

Post by becat »

Bravo my friend!

Nope it is not easy but well worth it.

Although I sorta feel like Aiken did without some each morning, even if it's one cup of sorta of coffee. LOL

However, I found that after I read this post the first time, I really paid attention.

I found that after 12 (noon) it does take 3 minutes for any caffeine to activate my RLS. So I am happy about summer, only due to the fact that water has to be ice cold for me to drink.
UGh, it gives me a tummy ache. I feel like I have a body that was developed in a lab anyway......how could water make a person sick?

But I'm proud and happy for you. I think I would have to do it your way, a little at a time and stay consistent.

Job well done brother!

Hugs
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

2 oz a day huh? Glad you found a method that worked for you...and hope it really helps.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hos, congratulations! Caffeine really seems to be a tough one to kick for a lot of people. My dh is always trying to "cut back" on coffee. Always. We've been married for almost 21 years, and he's always trying to cut back. Behold the power of the caffeine addiction! Personally, I think he'd feel better if he'd just give it up completely and get it over with. Now he limits it to morning, and then by mid afternoon he turns into a slug.

I gave it up years and years ago, although I enjoy hot tea now and again, and really like ice tea. I've noticed thought that if I have enough ice-tea my RLS breaks right through the methadone. So I have a large jar of instant, decaf ice tea in my kitchen. And I can drink it whenever I want.

Lynne, water also makes me sick sometimes. It must dilute my medications or something. :?
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Sweet, Hos. Congrats, I'm sure your body appreciates it, even if it sulked for a while. :)

There are tons of reasons to do it regardless, but have you been able to tell if it made a noticeable difference specifically to your RLS?
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

James333

Caffeine

Post by James333 »

Hello Hos

I am so happy to see your posting on caffeine. It has been a major issue for me with my RLS. I try to consume no caffeine during the daytime but need to have it when I drive or have just had a really hard night for the next day.

Something that is currently working for me during the day is 5 hour energy decaf without the caffeine or with if needed it contains B-vitamins for energy and amino acids for focus, plus Choline which is in eggs, soy and meats. For me I have never consumed coffee, red bull, or green tea for the taste it’s always been for the caffeine so I have had to find other body stimulants besides caffeine that have no side effects and do not affect my RLS. Also energy sources that I do not have to depend upon every day for and are non addictive. For years I took a 200mg caffeine pill every morning to stay alert and function during the day it was not only bad for my stomach but very hard on my legs as well.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something that works.
Cheers James

Ekbom's disease is not a syndrome ! :lol:
Everyone needs to know Willis Ekboms disease

becat

Post by becat »

Well Ho there James, Dang nice to see you hop in!!!! :D :D :D

Yup, I'm trying to give up the amount of caffiene I would like to have and then cut it back again. I'm a slow mover though, I get headaches really easy and some of them hard.

Like you, I have been taking caffiene out and adding Water! UGh, I'm sorry I just can't drink it unless it is near frozen, yeah, I know, the headache thing again! LOL

I have found a liquid and good quality (whole or complete, organic, and vegtable bases) B complex and adding a new one this week, B-12 in a spray.
This will demand water and just a ton of it and I'm being a be baby about it. :roll: * She remembers to pick up the glass and drink*

Anyway, I agree and hope that you, Hos, and all of us closet caffieners, :D , can get past the humps and find the better way. It's so hard sometimes to do the right thing though.
I find that the less sleep I get, the more I feel like it's a part of my over all treatment that I have picked. Just to get through a certain day or event.

Arggghh, I feel a rant coming.

I gotta go!

Hopes to all going through this one and James......... :D Glad to see you!

hugs to all
Lynne

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Re: Caffeine

Post by Hos »

James333 wrote:Something that is currently working for me during the day is 5 hour energy decaf without the caffeine or with if needed it contains B-vitamins for energy and amino acids for focus, plus Choline

Please PM me what this drink is. Yeah, caffeine is just as hard for some as other drugs to kick the habit. All I can say is to cut back a bit at a time.

Lynne, maybe 2 oz. per week is too quick so you can cut out 1 oz. per week. It may not sound like much but if you look at the date of my first post it does take time but hey, progress IS progress!

By the way, I'm back from Florida, safe and sound. 8)