Caffeine Withdraw

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
stitch

Post by stitch »

Would one cup in the morning hurt just to get the fix of caffiene? Or maybe try caffiene free coffee just to get the taste of coffee or diet 7-up and add lime juice. I have my 2 cups in the morning and then try to stay away from caffiene for the rest of the day. If we go out to eat I get water with lemon. It works for me. Lynne I hope you are doing good these days. So we say what works for me doesn't always work for some one else. It's all about trail and error, mostly error. LOL Take care, Jeannie

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

That's a good idea. Why don't you try cutting down to one cup in the morning and then 1/2 cup and then caffeine free? Might work. Good luck, Pat

Michelle

Good for you

Post by Michelle »

Glad you are caffeine free! That's great. I have to stay away from the stuff or my RLS goes haywire. I was addicted to drinking hot teas a few years ago and even if I drank one that had a lot of caffeine in it early in the day I'd still have problems all night and early morning the next day. I guess I'm very sensitive to it. Now I have a problem last few days with coffee ice cream since that has caffieine in it as well. I've been having RLS symptoms full blown but I'm glad I have these Magniflife pills that you can buy over the counter. That is a life saver!

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

I guess I'll give an update as well. Now that I"m caffeine free I tried to have just one 16 oz. Coke per week and even that gave me a headache the next day. Craziness! Go figger.

I did this 2x so I know it's the Coke and not a coincidence.

Becat, next time we meet and I want to get a Coke, you are now my Accountability Partner to tell me NO, grab a Sprite, lol.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah...same with me. I just can't have the stuff without getting headaches the next day. Weird, huh?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Heh, yeah. Caffeine is an instant physical dependency. Good thing the withdrawal is tolerable.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Weird though that some people don't seem to get the same intense withdrawal...

I literally had headaches off and on for YEARS before I figured out that it was caffeine withdrawal. I'd have coffee a day or two in a row, maybe three, then none for a week or two. Or a coke here and there. I was never a big soda or coffee drinker.

Once I stopped, so did the headaches. Even the migraines were reduced by at least half.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hmmm.... makes me think.

My headaches and migraines have ceased for a few years now. I put it down to a change of work, but on reflection, that was when I re-married, and hubby and stepson don't like cola, so I just didn't bother buying it in.

I didn't drink as much coffee as previously as they were tea drinkers, and recently have used de-caf. May be coincidence, or not.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Guys

Guess what ....Iv'e been told to ..get off caffeine!!!!......no coffee , tea, chocolate or fizzy juice....oh god have they no mercy? :cry:

Seems not been told by three different departments at the hospital ....NO CAFFEINE !!!! :evil:

I have a bad bad bad addiction...and now bad bad bad withdrawl symptoms.....all I can think of is coffee.....my head is banging, I am in a bad mood and can't sleep so I am in an even badder mood...I am so grumpy and irritable...of course one coffee would solve the prob ...but should I take it?.........NO.......

I am drinking fizzy water, no sweetners cos they are a deff no no for the RLS, also herbal teas...green tea with lotus flower and orange at the moment and it's nice and I feel better after I've drunk it.

This is only day two ..aaarrggghhh how am I going to survive
I will let you all know how it goes.

Well done everyone who has beeten the evil caffeine

huggles
moonlight xxx :P
sleep is not only a dream

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It IS survivable, lol. Several of us here are testaments to that, and soon you'll be joining the growing crowd.

Sorry you've been told to stop it...glad you're on day 2 as it should get better soon.

Managing Your RLS

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh Moonlight, I'm so sorry you're going through this! But you'll survive. It's already the second day and, like Ann said, you're probably past the worst of it. Heck, my dh has been "decaffeinated" now for a couple months, and if he could do it, I'm sure anyone can. Maybe you can take a couple paracetamol (sp?) for the headache.

Best wishes with it. Remember you're a warrior woman! You can beat the caffeine monster!
Susan

lexique

Post by lexique »

It's amazing what an effect caffine can have on some people.

I'd never been much for coffee but I'm a definate fan of tea and chocolate and my bf LOVES his Coke so I'd share every once and a while. After reading as much as I have on the site I decided to cut caffine completely and see if it made a difference. Besides the chocolate I knew that it wouldn't be too difficult but I've caught myself coming close a couple of times without realizing it.

I'd been off caffine, including chocolate, for two weeks and two days, cold turkey, and it hadn't been nearly as difficult as I'd imagined. I can't say I've been sleeping better but Andrew has which leads me to believe that once I've gotten to sleep I've been less restless which is promising.

Well without even thinking I was at camp on Sunday and I threw some M & M's into my trail mix. I didn't sleep a wink. Everytime I'd relaxed my mind and body enough that I thought maybe I'd sleep, a homesick, mosquito bitten girl would come to my side needing aid. At the time I wasn't sure if it was stress and other factors that contributed to my discomfort or if perhaps the chocolate had actually made a difference. I decided that today I was going to test my theory.

I haven't been able to eliminate the stress factor, though it is a different stress now that I'm at home but after four days without chocolate I had a couple of chocolate chip cookies, perhaps a little bit more than I had on Sunday, but enough that I should have some idea how it effects me.

I can tell that tonight is going to be a rather sleepless night but at least I know that I am going to need to ensure that I stay away from chocolate, unless of course it's all psychological, since I was expecting it to be a problem maybe I just think it is...?

Any suggestions for things that may curb the cravings? Is there such a thing as caffine free chocolate? I know it's something that I'll get used to but in the mean time it's certainly going to be a challenge.

Michelle

Article I found on the subject of chocolate and caffeine

Post by Michelle »

No caffeine in chocolate, but there is a similar compound in chocolate that's not quite as bad. Here is the article--- http://www.xocoatl.org/caffeine.htm
Last edited by Michelle on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Guys :cry:

I'm a failure.....my mood began to waiver.. and ..yes I let myself down two cups of coffee with four spoons of coffee in it, (total addiction)I was begining to come apart at this point, then ate lots of chocolate....I am ashamed of myself and thats why I'm telling you this. :evil:

I am still suffering for this stupid weak act..I know I have to suceed and now realise it's going to be harder than I thought..and by the way I am still reasonably stable but need to think of something else for when I'm becoming unstuck

Back to day one
sorry guys
moonlight xxx :oops:
sleep is not only a dream

maddielouise1

Post by maddielouise1 »

Moonlight!

This doesn't mean you're a failure. .Your a human being with strengths and weaknesses like all of us. Just try not to look back and instead start over. I know it's easy to say, but I go through the same thing with dieting. I'll do really well and then "cheat" or gain back the weight and wonder why the heck I even tried.

Sounds like you might be having a "down" day. Does it help to take a walk? That helps me when I'm feeling depressed or just going outside and pretending to do something useful in the yard-ha!

Things will look up.

Sincerely,

Maddie