Does RLS cause you to avoid other health issues.

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Lorabelle, sorry this happened to you. It is difficult to always remember the whys and wherefores of the different meds.

Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Yup, chalk it up to experience. Next time you'll remember why you don't take Neurontin. I hope you're feeling better.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

In a similar vein, when you know a non-RLS med is going to make your RLS worse, don't let yourself talk yourself into taking it anyway.

For instance, no matter how much goo is draining out of your sinuses, down the back of your throat, don't take a decongestant with guaifenesin in it unless you want to spend the entire day like me, with your usual evening creepy RLS replaced by nonstop painful RLS.

Geez, I'm stupid. I hope this wears off soon. I was already having a bad week.

(...and those of you with 24/7 painful RLS, I don't know how you stay sane.)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Guaifenesin? Doesn't bother me at all. Yet another of those cases where we're all different. I hope you get feeling better, and you have a better week.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, Aiken! Yuck....

I don't think it bothers me, either....but I think I've avoided any cold meds for years except the ones designed to make them shorter...can't think of the names, but the ones with zincum, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

Aiken, I have had some level of the flu since Jan., needless to say, I'm pretty sick of not taking anything as well for it. The youngest got it after my first exsposure, then gave me a second mean dose. Then the hubby sat next to a man on the plane, a couple of weeks back, that should have never been allowed to board.

After 3 wks of trying to coup on my own I finally went to see my GP, he had no idea what type of flu it was that I had. Yes they now have an awful test, that involves your sinus and a very long Qtip. :roll: But oh how I would love to just suck down a dose of Nyquil......but I can not. I'm with you my Aiken, I can't take that stuff either. Hope you feel better soon.

Lorabell, Your not crazy, no more than any one of us. Charlene was right about that. We or many of us can honestly say, been there and done that my dear.

I want you to know that I, myself, talk a huge battle in here. Ready to fight, but when faced by my RLS doc, I often end up in tears and that is only because I feel I HAVE TO HAVE HIM, for my quality of life issues.
It's not easy to stand up to the only one that is suppose to protect and not Harm you, when you know so very few will be willing to help at all.

You did nothing wrong, out of norm for us sleep deprived, totured bodies. In the past I've said yes to the lab rat meds. "let;s just see what happens with this?" Not anymore, one med. I took did nothing for my rls, and over time, and very unassumimgly, took over my brain so badly, I wasn't me anymore. I made choices that I would have never made before and thought about some others as well. Thankfully, something clicked inside me and I figured it all out before I lost what I knew as my life, my family.
You did the very best thing, you could have and I would hope that others would learn from you.

Betty, I hope that the letter reaches your GP soon. Sorry about a half a day wasted, but if it helps in the long run, Yeah!
For those untrained docs that treat us, better they learn now. Waiting will simple cost them. Ann good one, I use the money point as well with some I have seen.

I know they take that oath, but what does it really mean to them. My last years experiences tell me not much.

hugs and Health to us all,
Lynne

You reached out for help. Nothing shameful about that my dear, it's honorable in my eyes. Everyone needs help of some kind, everyone!

Your put your beating stick up my dear, Your not aloowed to beat yourself up for asking and finding help. You live and you learn and you do better next time.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

HEY GIRLFRIEND...... Just wondering if you have heard anything about NeilMed??? Its a sinus Rinse.. My friend told me about it cause she was getting the flu alot and her doc mentioned it. So she tried it and got good results so I bought it too and its wonderful stuff, for me. It's pretty gross cause you put the little packets in the bottle of water and then sqrit it up your nose and it comes out your mouth.

But let me tell you what it will clean out your sinus and ears and all that gunk in your head. It really helps if you are a smoker or have pets and alot of dust...whatnot in your house and who doesnt???

It's about $ 12.00 and you can get it at Walgreens, riteaid, maybe walmart. And its all natural. Just a thought. I wake up stuffed up alot and this stuff clears me right up fast. It pops your ears and if you do have a senus infection be ready to be grossed out by what comes out.... Hope you feel better soon, my thoughts and prayers are with you as always~~~~~~~Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

becat

Post by becat »

LOL Lyndarae, my family has used netty pots for years now.

I'll have to ask my mom, but there is a recipe for the rinse. It's gross, but I know from an aunt of mine that her allerieges, cold, whatever to do with sinuses, is no longer a problem.

Old fashion cures do often work better for us and thank God I have one of those families to teach me. But thanks for the post about it, everyone needs this trick.

I'd be fine if I could get over ot just once, but like everyone with kids or a comstant traveler (my hubby), i just have kept it this year, as everyone else keeps giving it to me. UGH, it will go away.

But allergy seaspn is on it's way, so i'll get the recipe and share it in Non Pharm soon.
Thanks for reminding me.

Lynne

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I've heard good things about nettie pots. I should use one myself, as I have blocked (read: inflated) mucus glands inside both maxillary sinuses, and it'd probably help.

By the way, it took nearly 24 hours to get over the effect of the guaifenesin. That sucked. I eventually gave up and took extra hydrocodone to get through it, rebound be damned. All done now. Never again. :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

My dh adores his neti pot. :roll: I have a giant syringe that does the same thing, and I use it about once a year if I'm really desperate. It's supposed to go in one nostril and out the other. It does work wonders for sinus infections, I'll give it that.
Susan

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

That is interesting as I have never heard of nettie pots and I get sinus infections quite a bit. Did someone say you can buy it at Walgreens or WalMart. I would be interested in looking into it.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

hey Char, I have never heard them called nettie pots. But I think I was telling Lynne about the same thing, someone correct me if I am wrong here. What I bought at riteaid is somethinng called NEILMED sinus rinse. Its a bottle that has little packets of what I believe to be backing soda and something else, again Lynne said she has the receipe, but it comes with several packets, that you put in the bottle with warm water.

You then lean over the sink and keep your mouth open and squirt it up one nostril at a time. Its pretty gross at first and you feel like you might drown, but it works great to clean out the whole head. I dont know if you can get it at walmart or not, you might want to call around.

It cost about 12.00 and is worth every penny, if you do get sinus infections hope this helps.~~~~~~~~Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey thanks Lyndarae I will look into it.
It was great chatting with you last night. We sure had a great chat room. This is the most that I have ever seen.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Lyndarae, your forgetting that I come from a family that would do or try ANYTHING, awful, disgusting, old fashion, etc....not to ever have to see a doctor. LOL

The whole family uses them and we are talking about the same thing. Forgot to ask mom what the mix is, will do so soon and post it here,asap.

I also believe, that any medicine cabinet worth it's own weight has to have an eye wash cup as well. :D :D :D

I will take that chance to provide my update. Let's just say, I've found myself with in the invisible zone, once again. Test aren't showing much or what we expected. And the doc's office is just not fast enough to my liking. Who knew? :roll:

Hugs to all and let tomight be filled with healing rest.

Lynne