New drug Requip.

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
bedakay

New drug Requip.

Post by bedakay »

I have RLS and my dr prescibed Requip for me yesterday. Has anyone else had luck with this drug????

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

hey there bedakay, WELCOME!!! I have tried requip and I didnt have luck with it. But you will find that one medication that works great for one person will not work for another.That is one of the big problems with rls the docs find a med that works for some and cant figure out why it wont work for everyone. You might have good luck with it I know alot of people who do. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!Lyndarae

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Lyndarae is right. None of us is on the same page as far as what works and what doesn't. Requip is being tried as the only drug specifically for RLS. All the others are usually for another disorder or disease. Mirapex (one that I am on) is a Parkinson drug that sometimes works well for RLS. Hope you find what works for you, don't quit until you do. In the meantime, talk to us; we'll help all we can.

GaAudrey

Post by GaAudrey »

Hi Bedakaya! I'm on Requip and have good luck with it! :D I have had to up the dosage however. I now have to take .5 mg in the afternoon because my leg kicks started earlier in the day. Then I take 2 mg at bed time to get me through the night. Been on this for about 2 years now and so far so good! :? I don't want to correct anyone, but requip is not made specifically for RLS. It is like many drugs used for RLS, originally made for parkinsons patients. :oops: Type in requip on the internet and you'll pull up parkinsons in many web sites. When they first told me it was a drug for parkensons I was scared to take it and more nervous about exactly what RLS was. Thought it was maybe more serious than they were telling me. My grandmother had parkinsons and it ended up leaving her in a wheelchair. I was assured RLS would not do that to me. But just the requip seemed to help RLS as well as parkinsons. By now you've been on it for a couple of weeks and I hope you've had some luck with it. Good luck with whatever you end up taking! I know how bad it can feel without medication to relieve the kicks!!! Take care, Audrey

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think that Ruby meant that Requip is currently going (or has gone) through clinical trials to become a drug that can be marketed for RLS. It will be the first drug to do so. As of now, ALL drugs that we use for RLS are considered off-label.

"GSK files sNDA for Requip as RLS treatment
GlaxoSmithKline's sNDA for Requip (ropinirole) for the treatment of restless legs syndrome (RLS) has been filed with the FDA. If approved, Requip will become the first and only drug indicated for the treatment of RLS in the US. It is currently approved and marketed there for the treatment of the signs and symptoms of idiopathic Parkinson's disease." http://www.pharmamarketing.dk/PharmaNews2.asp?Id=2848

It's still not a wonder drug, though. Augmentation is still a problem for some (though less than with other DAs) as is rebound. And some people just do not have luck with the DAs.

Hopefully, someone will create a drug specifically for us (segue into "Over the Rainbow") :o

Ann

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

:lol: "Blue birds fly, birds fly over the rainbow why, then, oh why can't I?" Mainly because we're just too danged tired!!! Thanks for the laugh Ann! :wink:

GaAudrey

Post by GaAudrey »

Hi Ann,
Thanks for explaining that in more detail. The more I understand about this the better. That's why I joined this message board! I've already learned a lot from "Jumpy Owl" about my dreaming and why I wake up so darn tired. Talking to my doctor today about that! Thanks to everyone for help you give. Audrey :D

GaAudrey

Post by GaAudrey »

Hi Everyone!
Well I went to the doctor and asked for my Prozac to be changed to Wellbutrin. Doc said they aren't interchangable - different cemical make up, so that's not an option for me. We had a hard time finding something that helped my depression, so he's not willing to change the type drug I take. Asked him about the requip and he said I should ask my neurologist to increase it if I'm not already taking the highest dose. Maybe more requip will keep the leg kicks down better, so that I don't dream so much at night. I don't notice that I have leg kicks as long as I take the requip on time, but I do dream every night . . . a lot :cry: so maybe I'm just not taking enough requip. Time to make another doctor appointment I guess! :lol: I would try a good sleeping pill, but then I can't get up and go to work because I'm so groggy! :lol: Seems I can't win!!! This roller coaster is why I get depressed. And this is a GOOD day!
Audrey

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Audrey, don't get too stressed out. I know it's so frustrating when your legs just won't settle down and when you can't sleep everything suffers. But finding the right meds is often a long hard struggle. Keep your chin up. All of us know that is hard to do. But we are here for you and you can vent on this board or you can email private messages if there is someone who seems to connect with you and they have given their email address with their profile. Prozac and Wellbutrin aren't the same type of anti-depressant. Is there a chance your doctor would let you wean yourself off Prozac and then try Wellbutrin. It may be hell for awhile but it might work. But please talk to your doctor before you do anything on your own. You may even need to find another doctor if this one is resistant to listening to you. I have been through 5 doctors and I think I finally found a keeper. Most of us have had to change at least a few times. It isn't that they are bad doctors, they just don't understand RLS. RLS is a very hard disorder to treat so patients and doctors get frustrated. But please hang in there. There is hope. Keep those smiley faces on your posts and on your face. Keep us posted.