RLS only in the arms?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Boblob

RLS only in the arms?

Post by Boblob »

I have symptoms that sound exactly like RLS....EXCEPT, it is ONLY in my arms. I don't have any symptoms in my legs. Much of the literature I can find mentions the arms as possibly being affected, but I haven't found any mention of this being in the arms but not the legs.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

jan3213

Welcome Bob

Post by jan3213 »

Hi, it's Jan

Bob, do you have a creepy crawly sensation in your arms???? It is something like "bugs" crawling inside? Does it help to move your arms? Does the sensation in your arms keep you from sleeping at night? I haven't heard of RLS beginning in your arms, but I'm no expert. Have you checked with a doctor to see if it RLS?? I have RLS in my arms as well as my legs. It did start in my legs, but my arms have been affected for several years. I have had RLS for over 20 years.

At the top of this page, under the heading "I Have Restless Legs" you will find a description of RLS. Please let us know how you are. In the meantime, you have found a great website! There are a lot of wonderful people here who are ready, willing and able to answer any questions you have. I'm sure someone else will see your post and offer some suggestions, etc.

Good luck!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

restless arms

Post by restless arms »

Wow! Boblong, you deserve a place in the RLS Museum if it existed.
I'm sorry you have RLS, but as Jan said, it is very rare to have it "only" in the arms.
Please read below and you will believe me.
Corrie

Arch Neurol. 2003 Jul;60(7):1013-5. Related Articles, Links

Arm restlessness as the initial symptom in restless legs syndrome.

Freedom T, Merchut MP.

Department of Neurology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA. tfreedo@lumc.edu

BACKGROUND: Upper extremity symptoms can develop in restless legs syndrome, but are rarely the initial symptom. OBJECTIVES: To report a case of restless legs syndrome with restless arms as the initial symptom, and to review the literature. DESIGN: Case report and literature review. PATIENT: A 78-year-old man had arm restlessness and sleep disturbance. A polysomnogram demonstrated subclinical periodic leg movements 1 year after the onset of his symptoms. RESULTS: Two years later, he developed lower extremity symptoms that fit the criteria for restless legs syndrome. To our knowledge, this is the first case of restless legs syndrome with arm restlessness as the initial symptom in an otherwise neurologically normal person. CONCLUSION: Restless legs syndrome may initially exhibit upper extremity symptoms.

Boblob

Interesting.....

Post by Boblob »

Thanks for your thoughts....

I do have several symptoms of RLS in my arms -- I can't get them comfortable and feel like I need to keep moving them. This causes me to be unable to get to sleep or I wake up soon after going to sleep. I would describe the feeling as constant muscle fatigue or tingling that usually only occurs when I lay down to go to sleep and sometimes while sitting at my desk or in a car. I have noticed that repetitive motion tasks (lots of typing or use of a computer mouse) will aggravate the condition a little.

I have had this problem intermittantly for 2 to 3 years and haven't had any issues with my legs. However, as a teenager, I can remember having this feeling in my legs and not being able to sleep......at that time, my mother told me that she had that same feeling. From my teenage years until about age 32 (3 years ago), I don't recall having any problems. I have since had occasional problems sleeping due to these feelings. Hot baths or several drinks are about the only things that offer any relief.

I went to see a doctor about 3 years ago and they put me in physical therapy (which didn't help at all). I don't think they had any idea what was wrong. They couldn't find any specific causes for the feelings and assumed that it had something to do with a pinched nerve or something like that. At this point, I am trying to self-diagnose and RLS seems like a viable possibility since the symptoms are almost exact, just in my arms instead of my legs. However, based on the previous post, it sounds like it would be extremely rare to have RLS only in the arms.

cornelia

rls arms

Post by cornelia »

Boblong, it really sounds like RLS. Go to www.rlshelp.org and read the medical info, print some of it and take it to your docter. Don't be surprised when you, the patient, has to educate your docter! It happens often.
Keep us informed.
Corrie