RLS Getting worse ?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jwkwak3

RLS Getting worse ?

Post by jwkwak3 »

I take 1 mg of Requip at night and 1 mg Klonopin. I have been on 1mg of Requip for over a year now and the Klonopin for about 8 mths. Recently I am more of a desire to move around and I am starting to feel this even during the daytime now and in my arms. When I do sleep I end up jerking and waking myself and my wife up. I have not felt this bad since I started the meds. I get sleepy but when I lay down the desire to move is overwhelming. I have a follow up with my Family Doctor in June but do not think I can make it till then before I see him. I just do not know what else he can do. any suggestions for me to discuss with him, or anything I can do on my own to relieve these symptoms.

Thanks

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi J3 and welcome. I don't know the answer to this one but know that many will respond with good advice.

However, i would suggest that you print out a copy of the Mayo Algorithm and study it (it is not difficult). This will educate you, and also take a copy to your doctor. My doctor is more that happy to follow the advice in the algorithm.

Good luck

Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hello J3 and another welcome. Sorry to hear about your rls acting up again. We are not doctors here but can give some advice and support.It sounds to me like the reqip is not working for you anymore, this sometimes happens, as rls affects us all in so many different ways.

What works good for some might not work for others. If you are loosing alot of sleep, and it sounds like you are. You might be able to call your doc and let them know you are struggling and they might be able to get you in sooner.

I was put on requip and it did not sit well with me at all, so we tried Mirapex and that has worked for a good long time now. (knock on wood) Just dont let yourself get too sleep deprived, because we all know what that can do to your body and mind.

Good luck to you, hope you post again we are all in the same boat here and this is a safe place to come WHENEVER you need to vent or get support............your not alone in this........Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi there

I dont no what to suggest, have you tried walking or
leg exercise or maybe a bath.
Im sorry your feeling bad can't you get to see your
doc before June!! geez a long time to wait.
0ver here in UK I could see my doc next week if
need be.
Hope you feel better soon.

love gill (UK)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jw - as Lyndarae suggested, sometimes these meds just don't work the same for all of us. And, sometimes they can actually cause our RLS to get worse.

I don't know what exactly is wrong, but it sounds like it could be augmentation - this is when Requip or Mirapex makes the RLS worse. It often happens about a year or year and a half after starting the drug.

There is a lot written about it in the Pharma section in the sticky post. You might want to review that and see if it sounds like what is happening.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

When I read your post, JW, I also thought of augmentation. Augmentation is when the medication itself causes worsening of the RLS. The worsening caused by augmentation happens quite rapidly, whereas RLS generally gets slowly worse over time. Either way, it sounds like a trip to the doctor is in order. I would call and tell them that you need to see the doctor ASAP. Doctors keep appointments open for urgent concerns.

The problem is that most doctors, IME, don't know much about augmentation. You can do a forum search and read more about other people's experiences with it and educate yourself, though. Usually, if it is augmentation, people need opioids for a while until their dopamine receptors settle down again. Then you could try another dopamine agonist, like Mirapex, or try a different category of medication.

Best wishes with it. I do hope you can get in to see the doctor soon, especially if things are worsening quickly.
Susan

jwkwak3

Better night

Post by jwkwak3 »

Well I was going to see how last night went before I called the doctor and it went better. I have been under a lot of stress lately with losing my grandmother and other family and job related issues, so I am wondering if that was/is making it worse at times. Will keep you updated on how its going. Thanks

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jw, please accept my condolences - losing someone close to you is devastating. I know you don't know me from Adam, as the saying goes, but I you have my empathy.

And, this indeed can make RLS much worse. As you said, keep an eye on it. Please don't ignore it if it doesn't get better, though. If it is augmentation, it needs to be dealt with or it could cause other problems.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

Hi JW,

Stress hits and then takes our legs to another level completely.

I just LOvvvvvvveeee it when someone tells me to calm down, LOL.

I'm so sorry about your grandmother, I lost mine 4 yrs ago, and she was my best friend ever. No matter what, I bet that you have an angel on your shoulder now. But my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

You know, I'm not sure about anyone else, but trouble comes in packs for me and my family. Just clusters that leave me boggled. It's something that you have to just deal with what you can and let some go. You can't fix most things in life unless you have total control. Hmmm Not sure I have get total control, so no words of fantastic advice for you there, so just do what you can and hold no judgement in your own mind, about yourself.

I think with relief and sleep we could all take on the world with one hand, we're a strong bunch. However, sleep and relief have to happen for me.

You do not have to wait for the next appt. with your doc, if things don't get better sleep and comfort wise soon, call that doc.. Explain that life is in a bunch right now and you need some help. There is no shame in that and no reason for the doc not to help.

In the mean time, welcome to the board and the family.
You are welcome to come here and VENT as you wish, we are awesone at rowing the boat when others can not. We will certainly do so for you as well.
BTW, post as you please as you read around the board, we learn best from each other.

Yes, Let us know.

Lynne

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry in your loss of your grandma.

Stress and rls.... a pretty mean partnership.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi jw

So sorry about your loss. I can relate to stress causing a lot of things, and boy I have a lot of ailments.

Hope it settles down soon, if not ring your doc.

gill

:roll:

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

My sympathy and prayers go out to you and your family at the loss of your grandmother. The stress of losing someone we love is always a contributor to our health whether we have rls or something else.

I pray you get the help you need and that your stress levels subside. Take comfort in the fact that we are here for you always -- if not physically, then emotionally. As others have expressed, please feel free to vent and post as you wish.

Welcome to our family of which you are now a valuable member. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Cyndi
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.