Doctor

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
scrappingmimi

Doctor

Post by scrappingmimi »

Hi,
I,m new to this board. Everyone here seems to be well informed.
Mu regular doctor dignoised me with rls, but did not send me to a neuro. He has tried me on Quinine and amitriptiline. Neither worked. Righr now I am just taking motrin (admittedly more than the dosage I should take.

I not only move my legs almost constantly, they jerk on me, which I have no control over. My body aches from my neck to my toes. I have scolious (sp) Curved spine. Which I am sure causes part of it.

If anyone knows a good Dr in north Louisiana, would they please tell me.

thank you,
Ethel

jan3213

Welcome Ethel

Post by jan3213 »

Hi, it's Jan

Welcome to our rls.org, Ethel. I'm glad you found us, but sorry you have RLS.

I'll address your question first. At the top of this page, you will see several headings which have pull down menus. Under the first heading, I HAVE RESTLESS LEGS, you will find a pull down menu and a topic called "Find a Healthcare Provider". Click on that, type in Louisiana in the appropriate box, hit enter, and you will see what doctors the Restless Leg Foundation recommends.
Good luck.

Now that you have found us, Ethel, I hope you stay. There are a lot of wonderful people here--some who are really knowledgeable about medications, some who are really good at researching anything, and the rest of us are here to listen, provide a shoulder, encourage, and share our experirences with you. This is a wonderful place, Ethel. We are like a family, and you've found a home!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Ethel,

Jan had some good advice. It's horrible when your doc doesn't know the right stuff - many of us have been there. In teh General Topics, there is a topic called Links:

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

Try some of these. The So Cal Support group one lists lots of meds to take (and ones not to). Other links may help you educate your doc. Your education, IMHO, and then your doc's education are extremely important.

Glad you found us and hope it gets better.

Oh, amiltryptiline can make RLS worse. Quinine is for leg cramps, not RLS - it helps only a small minority of people.

Ann

Post by Guest »

Jan and Ann thank you so much for the info and the web sites. I just have to find my book so I will know if one is on our insurance. Hopefully they will be.

And you are right about the amiltryptiline making it worse. And the Quinine was awful. Not only did it not work, I broke out in a rash when I got out in the sun.

Ethel