RESTLESS JAWS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Pairodocs

RESTLESS JAWS?

Post by Pairodocs »

I have a friend whose doctor told her she has the equivalent of rls in her jaw. She has tmj and does a lot of clenching and grinding, it's an uncontrollable feeling. The doctor put her on Klonopin. I've heard of RLS "traveling" up the body and in the arms but never in the jaw and face. But I told her I'd check. Anybody know of something like this?

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Is she on any medications?

Some painkillers give me an urge to tighten my jaw. Methadone did for sure, hydrocodone only infrequently. It's an aggravating thing... either you're clenching, which eventually hurts, or you're consciously avoiding it, which is a stressful effort. In fact, sometimes you have to counteract it by using different muscles to balance out the ones that you can't keep from tightening.

On the other hand, it may literally be RLS in her jaw. Mine is scattered across the right side of my body, including my right eye. It's maddening when I'm trying to watch TV and it keeps wanting to dart around the room.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

I've never thought of it as linked to the RLS, but I am a major jaw clencher. I try so hard to "remind" myself not to do it, and then 30 seconds later, I find myself doing it again. It is definitely one of the contributing factors to some of the horrendous headaches I get.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I clench and grind in my sleep.. Always have, way before I got RLS.. I also have TMJ problems every once in a while..

Honestly, I am a little skeptical about "RLS in the jaw" but I suppose anything is possible.. I guess the true distinction is, does she do it during daytime hours and is the sense of being compelled brought on by a discomfort of some sort, or is it simply clenching for no apparent reason.

If there is an absence of a compelling feeling, like some kind of pain or other discomfort, that would go away with the clenching action, then I would be hard pressed to call it RLS at all, and would want to make sure it isn't another serious condition.

But if such feelings are present, then I'd call it pretty weird.. not sure what klonopin would do in the daytime tho, if thats when the major problem is occuring.. It would be a terrible solution actually.. If this is simply a nighttime issue, then the klonopin is good for that, but I wonder if this doctor wasn't making a poor analogy or something

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There is at least one case of RLS in the face - not necessarily the jaw, but the face.

I agree with whoever said - can you apply the criteria?

Is it worse at rest?
Does it go away with movement?
Is it worse at night?
Does the feeling itself make her NEED to move?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

Hi,

Well I have RLS as a whole body iusse and TMJ.

I don't grind but I do clench my jaws so tirghtly it can cause my head and ear to react........but they are all a daily thing.

I am lucky that the braces (ugh at 21) did stop most of the grinding in my sleep, but I still clench those jaws without notice, I have to stop myself constantly.
The scalp, tip of my nose, and left ear are not over the top, but just a normally daily dose of the normal RLS without pain.
The pain I have is in my legs and shoulders and very predictable in timing.

I think we have to remember that because it's Named RLS (LEGS) really is deceiving, because RLS can be a whole body issue.

Just rambling, mostlikely no help at all, but I hope it was in some way.

Lynne

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I had RLS in my face (especially somewhere behind my eyes) before I was on meds, not anymore, maybe once a year.
Dr B says that in any part from the body where there are muscles RLS can develop.

Corrie

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I'm a jaw clencher, but it's not from RLS. It's been worse since I started methadone. I finally bought myself one of those mouth guards that you boil and then mold to the shape of your teeth. When it gets really bad I'll pop that in and it will help me to relax the offending muscles. I bought it at the drug store for too much money; my son says it's identical to the sports mouth guards that sell for about $8. Makes me drool crazy and now I know why football players are always spitting.
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

Yeah that's what I was going to mention but forgot, also.. Those $8 mouth guards will do the same thing as those expensive "dental" pieces they try and rip people off for.

I think my doctor or a resident in his office had told me about that.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

That's true, though for some of us with screwed-up mouths, because our parents spent all their money on cigarettes instead of braces (yes, I'm bitter), the generic mouth braces won't work and you have to shell out for the custom-molded ones.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Pairodocs

RESTLESS JAWS?

Post by Pairodocs »

Thanks for the response guys, I learned something new. I'll tell my friend it is possible, she's not crazy :lol: and apparently neither is her doctor.

Michelle

Sounds like me

Post by Michelle »

It's so weird, but I never associated RLS with Restless Jaw and I do have a restless jaw. I'm constantly grinding my teeth in my sleep. I really think there is something to that. When I have a bad case of RLS all my nerves and muscles go haywire everywhere. Not only do I get restless legs, but overactive bladder, overactive mind, overactive nerves (constant itching everywhere). It's a horrible disease and it makes one think they are crazy at first. Before I knew what I had I thought I had some horrible/fatal neurological disease or I thought I was going nuts. Then I did a lot of research into my symptoms and found that it was RLS. Thank goodness for the internet!