Anybody have this with RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Michelle

Anybody have this with RLS?

Post by Michelle »

Do any of you notice that you have RLS more on one side of your body than the other? My left leg and arm is the worst, and often, I only have to move this side of my body to get complete relief. I was just curious if I was the only one with this.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, yeah. I think it's very common - there have been conversations about it here and there for years on this board.

I'm a lefty, personally. Used to be a rightly, though. My sister is a righty. A few months ago it started in her left side and she totally freaked out!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Mine's almost entirely on my right side. Calf, thigh, flank, shoulder, bicep, eye (yes, eye). Only once in a while is it in my left calf.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Michelle

Interesting

Post by Michelle »

Thank you both for responding. I'm new to this forum so I didn't see the posts that were similar to this topic. Interesting to know that it's common. Yeah mine is mostly on the left side. Only at times are both my legs antsy.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Mostly on the right. Lying on the affected side helps somewhat.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Wow Polar Bear, I noticed the same thing too when I lay on the affected side it does help. I often sleep sitting upright and lay on my legs hunched over my pillow over the couch. This is a good position for me to calm my legs down and fall asleep and then I move to another position.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Right side is the worst but sometimes after that side settles down, the left side will start up. I sleep on my right side mostly so have wondered if that makes it worse. Several of you said that it helps to lay on the affected side....so who knows?
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Also lying on the tummy, knees bent with feet in the air, if you get to it quick enough.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Another one of my positions if my RLS acts up is I lie on my tummy with one knee bent up and the other straight out and sort of lying on the side a bit.

Momo

Post by Momo »

yea, my rls is significantly worse on my right side. sometimes i cant even stand on my right leg or lift/grasp things with my right hand
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

M, I don't know if not being able to stand or lift things with one body side is common to rls or not. Certainly the pain component is there. Could there be or has an alternate explanation for this pain/inability been offered or explored?

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

I never thought about it until I read this! Mine is worse on my right side, and I am right handed.

Michelle

Post by Michelle »

How weird! Mine is on my left side and I'm left handed.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I have found that sitting in a rocker recliner using legs to rock helps mine, I will take pillow and blanket to the recliner and sit rocking until the rls subsides and then will just lay back in recliner and sleep. Because IF I get up and walk to the bed, by the time I get to the bedroom and lay down my rls has kicked back in.

Its a way to be able to sort of relax while keeping your legs moving, which of course always makes the rls stop. BUT if the RLS is reallllllllllly strong, I can not even do that. Have to get up and continue to walk! But it is something that you can try. Even if it works every once in while, its worth trying!!

Momo

Post by Momo »

HeatherB wrote:I never thought about it until I read this! Mine is worse on my right side, and I am right handed.

idk, i thought it was just because the pain makes it unbareable to do these things.

and yea, i'm right handed (figured i'd clearify since others were)
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.