help please

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

help please

Post by Polar Bear »

Recently for a few weeks, I have been feeling that I have had a tight lump in my throat and chest. Also not just myself at all.

I have a doc appt in a couple of days and just in case (as I suspect) that this is an anxiety 'thing' I'd really appreciate some input regarding rls friendly medications.

I know that when it comes to antidepressants the best is Wellbrutin (Bupropion) - is this also known as Zyban. ????

But what about anti-anxiety medications if I am offered them. Are there any that would be particularly rls friendly or otherwise.

Talk about timing !!!!!! I go on holiday in 4 days!!!

Thank you so much.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Hi PB!
How's the quitting smoking going?
This post reminded me of your other post, because you mention Wellbutrin (or Zyban). Yes, I believe that the two are either the same or similar. Zyban was marketed as a stop smoking treatment, and I have used that successfully (well, for about 9 months) in the past for just that reason. However, I have also used Wellbutrin as an antidepressant with some decent success in the past as well. Probably the "easiest" antidepressant I've tried - in that I experienced less side effects from it, and it was easier to discontinue using than some others.

The other that I've tried was Celexa. Which worked fine while I was on it... (besides the almost nonexistent libido). The problem was coming off of it. If I missed more than one dose, I would be so dizzy with a vertigo feeling that I couldn't lift my head off the pillow in the morning.

Unfortunately, I have no experience taking either of these alongside any RLS treatments. And I never really paid enough attention to know whether or not they had an effect on my RLS symptoms or not.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Scarlett

The 'no smoking' isn't going too badly. I've had a couple when at a recent function, but not on a daily basis, I still have some in the pack which was opened when I 'stopped'.
Felt a bit bad that I gave in and took a couple, but overall It's going ok.

However, its this awful 'anxious' feeling these last few weeks that's the bother.
I really thought it was a sore throat/chest starting but it never came to anything, and when I googled it, boy..... did it hit the nail on the head. The feeling of the lump in the chest and throat, of being overwhelmed, a bit weepy for no reason..., quick to startle.... the whole list could have been written for me.

I hope someone can help with regard to rls friendly anti anxiety med. (should it be an option).
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

I can only speak for Xanax but it works good with me and others on the Board. Like most of them it is habit forming but I sleep well with it and don't have effects in the morning on a low dose, e.g. .50 mg. Take care,

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm so sorry you've been feeling this way. Do you actually feel like you have difficulty swallowing? Does the anxiety come because you have the feeling (like you're worried about it) or is it more intrinsic to is? Or is it more of a panicky can't breathe feeling? Or none of the above, lol?

I do have a feeling in my throat that I cannot swallow - it's more of a physical feeling - like something is stuck in my throat. My sister also has this, I discovered yesterday when at lunch with her. Both of our doctors say we are fine...

Polar Bear, it seems to me that you have a lot going on. You're quitting smoking and that is stressful! You may feel a bit crappy for awhile. Buproprion (I do think Zyban is correct - that was the quitting smoking version IIRC - but a quick check to verify would be good) may help with this. Or maybe it'll just work itself out in a short time.

Regardless, going to the doc is a good idea.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Do you have reflux/gerd? A sense of a lump in the throat can be caused by irritation from acid and gas seeping far up the esophagus. There's also an issue with increased mucus and sinus drainage down the back of the throat when there's been too much reflux. Sometimes the vocal cords spasm.

If any of this rings a bell, look up "globus", which is the name for the sensation. Usually you'll find they suggest (upping your) reflux meds. For some people, though, it comes on due to stress alone (thus its full name, "globus hystericus"), so that's not always the fix.

I get it from time to time. It's very annoying. I find it get it less often if I sleep on an incline to reduce reflux.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi folks, I don't actually have difficulty swallowing. Its a discomfort from my throat down to my stomach, feeling like a tightness at either end. I have been taking omezparol (sp.) Losec for a few weeks at 20 mg. Have doubled it for a few days. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Views, I am a general worrier, have a reputation for being thorough and doing things 'properly', Would be an anxious type anyway, but don't show it.

I do actually have a lot going on. In particular a general concern that is out of my control.

Aiken, I have never actually felt any acidic symptoms, just general discomfort. But this lump is the throat and chest is a new thing.

Hos, is Xanax and anti-anxiety med, I haven't just time at the moment to research (getting ready for work). Thanks.
Betty

blryan

Post by blryan »

I take Buspar for mild anxiety. If I take it in the evening it starts the RLS creepy crawlies but I can take it in the morning and afternoon and be fine.

It has definitely helped the anxiety and overall has been an ok drug for me. I also take Requip at night.

Barb

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope you figure out what it is. These things can be so hard to pin down!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey girlfriend

Anxiety can be the pits! Especially when you are stressed about something or have changed your lifestyle dramatically e.g. the quitting smoking.

That could be one trigger. Or, it could be something going on at work or at home.

I'm on Lexapro (escitalopram) 10mg every morning for my anxiety. It seems to do the trick although I did have a rather nasty anxiety attack for the first time in 3 years a couple of weeks ago when I was ultra-stressed out. It doesn't seem to have any effect on my RLS, but hey i'm the non-conforming one around here when it comes to medications lol.

When you're anxious your whole body tenses up unconsciously and sometmes when you realise you are so "tight" you can make yourself even more stressed when you try to consciously relax each part of your body. Yes you feel weepy and as though you have the weight of the whole world on your shoulders. Its a horrid feeling.

See your doc ... tell him/her everything. Anxiety is a medical problem and shouldn't be left to itself.

Love and hugs to you my dear
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi PB, Sorry you're not doing well. Don't have much new to offer. But, I was just wondering whether your symptoms are constant or an off and on type of thing. If the latter, and your doc thinks it is anxiety, then maybe something you can take on an as needed basis (such as Xanax) would be preferable to something you must take every day no matter what. However, if taking something on a regular basis wards off the feelings or prevents them from ever setting in then that may be the way to go. I have some Xanax handy for unsettling moments but rarely need to use them. Actually, having them around is like a peace of mind thing. Guess, sorting our exactly what is the nature of your symptoms would be job 1. Options may be clearer after that. Best wishes, my friend.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

choking feeling in throat and chest is pretty constant this last 4 weeks. I only recently connected it with possibly anxiety. My friend told me yesterday that she could have told me right away it is likely anxiety, that I'm the perfect candidate. She would love to employ me cos i do everything at 150%.

Also this waking every morning at 4am, even with sleeping meds. could perhaps not always be due to rls as I thought.

Anyway, I go to the doc this morning at 10am. Let's hope I tell him all I need too. (I'm a little wary in case it could be something sinister) Also I I due to go on a plane journey on Sunday. And to make it all the more crappy its out of Dublin and their radar caused big cancellations. Lets hope it sorts soon. ................... big scream..........
.... And then again... what if do says..... its.. suchandsuch.... no plane journey for you???????
Betty

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hey Betty, I can't really offer any great advice here, 'cuz I've been drowning in my own anxiety. Apparently I'm still suffering some PTSD from events over the last several years in my family. I'm on Effexor and it doesn't really help with the anxiety much, but it's great for my depression and irritability. So I may be talking with my doctor soon about options, as well as starting to work with a therapist.

In the past I've almost always been able to exercise the anxiety away, but this time it's sticking and it's yucky.

So my dear, you have my total empathy here. I hope you can get some good help for it.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What a day.
Went to the doc who immediately came up with stress/anxiety, blood pressure up a bit, (so not like me) of course at the time of taking it I was in floods of tears, he wanted me to take a month on a doc's line.
He said only reason he was not insisting on the one month off is cos I am on hols next week anyway. Said the choking in the throat is sort of like an alternative panc attack. He wants to see how I am away from the responsibilities and pressures.

He thought about giving me cytalopram (sp) which he says is great for anxiety but realised that it would not go with the rls (He is definitely getting educated in rls). I asked for Welbrutin bit it is not available in the UK. Zyban is available but not licenced, only for stopping smoking. So he gave me 5mg diazepam - to take responsibly as needed - and come back in 3 weeks - sent me for a chest xray, which I had today, and is arranging a scope/oesphagus which will take a few weeks. - to put our/my mind at rest. It appears I am trying to still do at 59, what I did at 30 yrs. I feel the diazepam has helped, throat feels easier, not gone away... but easier.

Spoke with work about dropping to 4 days and they will do what they can after the hols. They also said if after hols I feel I need another week, just to get in touch. (the office actually closed for the week) Now just gotta go home and tell hubby about my day!!! He didn't even realise I was going to the doc.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Wooooops.. sorry about the double post. See what anxiety does.. it makes you impatient!!
Betty